MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iclickers- 2nd year. science4ever Academics 14 08-30-2010 10:11 AM
So can anyone explain this guest_295 Academics 2 08-17-2010 01:31 AM
Please Explain. lorend General Discussion 45 01-17-2010 10:53 PM
Buying Used iClickers Shangrila General Discussion 9 05-07-2009 12:33 AM
someone please explain the reasoning behind this lorend General Discussion 36 05-29-2008 06:15 PM

Can someone explain iClickers to me?

Old 09-14-2010 at 10:36 AM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Can someone explain iClickers to me?
I joined a class late, which means I missed the first introductory lecture. The class has 15% iClicker participation during lectures. I tried to reach the prof, but I've had no luck. I've been at Mac for 5 years and I've never had to deal with an iClicker! Would someone be able to fill me in?

I assume the prof will give us mulitple choice question and I just have to click my button .. but will it alert the prof and I'll have to speak infront of the class to answer? Or how are my answers recorded?
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:40 AM   #2
lux

Liked: 318 Times

It's really simple, once you have your iClicker, http://www.iclicker.com/dnn/ go to this website and click on register my iclicker. Make sure you use your student ID (not your student number), and the clicker code is on the back of the label. Now when ur in class when the prof tells everyone to take their clickers out all you have to do is turn it on and press one of answers (and you'll see a green light to know that the answer has been sent to the prof's computer which is running the questionnaire) =]

Kathy2 says thanks to lux for this post.
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:42 AM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Thanks so much, lux!!

Does anyone know if I buy the iClicker at Titles or The Tank?
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:44 AM   #4
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

iclicker questions arae all multiple choice questions pretty much the prof will show a question and start the iclicker system and you pretty much have the press the letter that corresponds with the answer you want to pick and there will be a chart on the overhead (the teachers lecture notes) that shows how many ppl voted and she'll end the timer once she decides to. pretty much all you gotta do is go to iclicker.com and register your iclicker and then the teachers will be able to know so dont worry you dont really have much to worry about as long a you regisister your iclicker on the site and attend the lectures and just choose the answer (turn on the iclicker first ) your answer will be recorded. hope that helps!

Kathy2 says thanks to bloodywarz for this post.
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:45 AM   #5
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

you can buy them at titles thats where i got mine last year

Kathy2 says thanks to bloodywarz for this post.
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:49 AM   #6
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quick question. I registered my iclicker with my student *number,* then realized my mistake and re-registered it with my ID. Did I fix the problem?
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:51 AM   #7
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
Quick question. I registered my iclicker with my student *number,* then realized my mistake and re-registered it with my ID. Did I fix the problem?
yea as long as you re-registered it with the ID underneath the barcode at the back of your iclicker your good. i did the same thing last and it worked
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:37 AM   #8
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

What's the student Id and student number , I used the number that's on my mcmaster card ... Did I do it wrong?
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:56 AM   #9
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
What's the student Id and student number , I used the number that's on my mcmaster card ... Did I do it wrong?
do you mean remote ID? cause remote ID is the sequence of #s and letters underneath the barcode of the iclick, and your student number is the # on your mcmaster ID card, i guess then your STUDENT ID would be what you use to log into avenue where its like the last 5 letters of your last name and first letter of ur first name
example:
name- John matthews
Student ID- matthj
Old 09-14-2010 at 05:37 PM   #10
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

We had practice clicker questions in anatomy and physiology today, and I'm pretty sure that my iclicker wasn't working because I never saw a green light to show that my answer had been submitted. I registered with my student ID, not my student number, and pressed the B - D buttons to get on the right frequency! Wtf is going on?

I'm going to wait until next lecture and try again, but if it's still not working, who should I contact?
Old 09-14-2010 at 05:53 PM   #11
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

So every time you answered a question a red light would start to flash? Registering with your MACID or student # wouldn't be the problem. You can still record your participation even if you haven't yet tied your iclicker with your macid.

To change frequency you'll need the two letter code from your prof and follow the instructions:

If you have chosen a non-standard frequency (e.g. BA) in Settings and Preferences, i>clicker will alert your students to this change when you begin polling. Students will be instructed to:
  • Press the On/Off (power) button on their clicker until the blue Power light begins flashing (about 2 seconds).
  • Press the new two-letter code (that you’ve designated in your Settings/Preferences). A green Vote Status light will indicate your students have successfully reset their remote frequency.
Default frequency is AA so unless your told specifically by the prof to change don't do this.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 09-14-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2010 at 06:29 PM   #12
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

Yeah, I pressed B and D as specified by Dr. Parise to get on the right frequency and the light flashes red instead of green! Ugh... technology.

I tried pressing B and then D... red light! I tried pressing B and D together the next time just for kicks... red light!

The iclicker is brand new too, btw. So I don't understand how something can already be wrong with it!