MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meet The Candidates - Casey Chad Presidentials 2010 0 02-02-2010 12:11 AM
The rink at oak knoll park HG88 Athletics & Recreation 2 12-17-2009 09:01 PM
Where can I park for just a week? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 10-06-2009 04:01 PM

Casey Park

Old 02-02-2010 at 11:12 AM   #166
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Bee.Hanson, Parnian, plums like this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 11:28 AM   #167
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Wow. This is EXACTLY what I want from a President. This video makes me just want to vote for Casey Park, who cares that it had nothing to do with a platform, or anything to do with whether he's suitable for the role - all I want to do now is vote Casey Park. As long as our future President can make videos like this, I think the MSU will be more relevant to students.

Maybe a little too sarcastic? Maybe. But really how does this have ANYTHING to do with the election at hand. Yeah, it arguably shows that Mr. Park is proud to go to Mac. I'm pretty sure everyone running for this position is and a large portion of McMaster students. It also shows, on top of his guitar performances in classrooms that the basis of his whole campaign and potentially his Presidency is based on using current songs to get students to think he is doing a good job. This is silly. I maybe would have voted a Class President in grade one off of something like this, but now? Someone who we are going to pay approx $620 per week and give free housing in Bates to? Someone who will be representing us students to the University Administration?

I hope no one else falls for this. I think all these tactics show is that Casey is focussing campaigning on his strength - music. Shouldn't the focus be on being a good leader? Being someone that can actually be a good President?

If he is elected, I hope that he will continue to perform weekly shows...maybe that will make me feel like next year's student fees are well spent.

Deegs14, huzaifa47, michelle, Nosh all say thanks to McIntyre for this post.
Old 02-02-2010 at 12:13 PM   #168
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
Wow. This is EXACTLY what I want from a President. This video makes me just want to vote for Casey Park, who cares that it had nothing to do with a platform, or anything to do with whether he's suitable for the role - all I want to do now is vote Casey Park. As long as our future President can make videos like this, I think the MSU will be more relevant to students.

Maybe a little too sarcastic? Maybe. But really how does this have ANYTHING to do with the election at hand. Yeah, it arguably shows that Mr. Park is proud to go to Mac. I'm pretty sure everyone running for this position is and a large portion of McMaster students. It also shows, on top of his guitar performances in classrooms that the basis of his whole campaign and potentially his Presidency is based on using current songs to get students to think he is doing a good job. This is silly. I maybe would have voted a Class President in grade one off of something like this, but now? Someone who we are going to pay approx $620 per week and give free housing in Bates to? Someone who will be representing us students to the University Administration?

I hope no one else falls for this. I think all these tactics show is that Casey is focussing campaigning on his strength - music. Shouldn't the focus be on being a good leader? Being someone that can actually be a good President?

If he is elected, I hope that he will continue to perform weekly shows...maybe that will make me feel like next year's student fees are well spent.
Cross-post from my blog:

Hey everyone!
I've already started to receive responses about the video and I wanted to briefly explain the rationale behind it.

The main point of the video is to get awareness out about the election in a fun way. It might not have platform points but in this election, getting attention is the first step to students being informed about candidates.

I also do believe that this is demonstrating that I will be a candidate who will visibly show my pride of McMaster in general.

Frankly, I do believe it's harmless fun and demonstrating how I will be a true student leader next year.

Bee.Hanson likes this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 12:16 PM   #169
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Harmless fun - check.

Demonstrating that you will be a true student leader next year - questionable...very questionable.

Deegs14 likes this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 03:12 PM   #170
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
It might not have platform points but in this election, getting attention is the first step to students being informed about candidates. ...
Personally, I think we're passed the "first step". Isn't the voting tomorrow?

JonHiggins, malaxelaguim like this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 10:14 PM   #171
JonHiggins

Liked: Liked 2 Times

For the nth time. Where n belongs to the integers and is greater than 7.

I am embarrassed to say I go to Mac. Another gimmick by Casey Park in an attempt to get votes. For your next song can you attempt to swear more and create an excellent persona for a potential MSU President? I like that you blanked out the word "f**k" but left in "b***h". Ever thought that might offend some people? I believe that this should take you out of the running for MSU President for conduct detrimental to McMaster and its image. Thank you for staying classy. PS. Its a class act to say "I f***ed in McKay".

Voting for Casey Park is a mistake. Vote for someone who isn't fake.

PS. Just cause you ban from your facebook group multiple times, doesn't mean you can silence my opinion.

Last edited by Chad : 02-03-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Attempting to bypass bad word filter

conster, Deegs14, McIntyre, mellye, michelle, Nosh all say thanks to JonHiggins for this post.

Deegs14, mike_302 like this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 10:18 PM   #172
malaxelaguim

Liked: 3 Times

If that video weren't in the context of an election campaign, I'd have loved it. It was witty and fun, and wholly inappropriate for the occasion. You're clearly intelligent and enthusiastic and mostly have decent platform points, but it's difficult not to picture you lobbying university admin with song parodies, and I can't in good conscience vote for someone who I'm afraid can't turn off the madcap long enough to be effective.

J-Met, McIntyre like this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 10:25 PM   #173
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

caseys next antic for votes should be cutting his hair
Old 02-02-2010 at 10:28 PM   #174
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
caseys next antic for votes should be cutting his hair
that was written on A LOT of his posters.
Old 02-02-2010
Gerry
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-02-2010 at 10:46 PM   #175
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

Hey Casey and other macinsiders !

When I first got to Mac , during welcome week there were tons of Welcome Week reps, but to be honest the one that really stuck out in my mind was you , along with only a handful of others . I thought you were a cool guy as a naive first year , someone who could be the epitome of McMaster spirit . I can actually say I idolized you a bit as a student leader I would strive to be one day ; someone loved by all the first years and seemingly his peers , someone who really believed in his school. The thing is , as the year progressed and I tried my best to get involved , I began to hear more and more about you , the majority of which were negative things but guess what ? I defended you because the only image I had of you was that of frosh week where it seemed to the majority of first years that you poured your heart and soul into your Welcome Week duties. As someone trying to get involved you probably will not even remember the two times you met me , but when you did I honestly was in my head thinking "wow I finally get to meet that cool guy" . In all honesty you disappointed me and as a first year somewhat deterred me off the MSU , actually really deterred me off the MSU and in one of our conversation proved to be unhumble and extremely disrespectful towards an organization which paid for your tuition. I thought "I'll give this guy another chance maybe see him in action , attend an SRA meeting or two or even email him" , that made me think even worse of you . To be honest I really thought you were an awesome guy , even defended you when people told me you were not but even some of your responses via facebook and your filtering have made me think again . Casey you're a funny guy I give you that , but personable and humble , genuine and honest ( all of these are traits I would like to see in an MSU president) those I can whole heartedly say you need to work on . I give you one thing though your professional manner has made a once apathetic MSU member like me get really passionate about trying to rebuild a stronger less facade like MSU over my next 4 years here at McMaster .

I genuinely want to say Thanks for that Casey !

Last edited by Nosh : 02-02-2010 at 11:37 PM.

malaxelaguim likes this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 10:50 PM   #176
conster

Liked: 9 Times

I appreciate the shout-out to McKay!
Old 02-02-2010
Gerry
Old 02-02-2010
Scrub
Old 02-02-2010 at 11:25 PM   #177
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiggins View Post
For the nth time. Where n belongs to the integers and is greater than 7.

I am embarrassed to say I go to Mac. Another gimmick by Casey Park in an attempt to get votes. For your next song can you attempt to swear more and create an excellent persona for a potential MSU President? I like that you blanked out the word "f**k" but left in "b***h". Ever thought that might offend some people? I believe that this should take you out of the running for MSU President for conduct detrimental to McMaster and its image. Thank you for staying classy. PS. Its a class act to say "I f**k ed in McKay".

Voting for Casey Park is a mistake. Vote for someone who isn't fake.

PS. Just cause you ban from your facebook group multiple times, doesn't mean you can silence my opinion.
To be fair, female dog and the f word are pretty different. The Simpsons says b****. TV shows not on Showcase say b****. None of them will say the f word. Honestly, my biggest complaint with the video was the fact that the mixing sounded rushed.

Its completely not a reason to vote for someone, and I definitely don't think Casey is the candidate for the job, but I really think people are just looking for excuses to tear him apart here. If you feel like attacking his platform points (and there are definitely some that you'd have reason to), go nuts. But a little harmless fun in campaigning is hardly a reason to go after someone.

emtee10, huzaifa47, J-Met, samantha__, ytpos all say thanks to Marlowe for this post.

J-Met likes this.