MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meet The Candidates - Casey Chad Presidentials 2010 0 02-02-2010 12:11 AM
The rink at oak knoll park HG88 Athletics & Recreation 2 12-17-2009 09:01 PM
Where can I park for just a week? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 10-06-2009 04:01 PM

Casey Park

Old 02-02-2010 at 11:51 PM   #181
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by conster View Post
I appreciate the shout-out to McKay!
I don't. Just saying.

Nosh likes this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 11:55 PM   #182
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
If you feel like attacking his platform points (and there are definitely some that you'd have reason to), go nuts. But a little harmless fun in campaigning is hardly a reason to go after someone.
Ditto, As long as there is a balance between the two I'm happy, I have done my level best to contain ALL my critique ONLY on platform points. And secondly as long as being fun/crazy one can be uber professional & formal during MSU/Admin contact/meetings I'm happy as well.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-03-2010
plums
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-03-2010
Gerry
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-03-2010 at 12:45 AM   #183
bluser

Liked: 6 Times

Sorry Andrew, but I really don't think you're understanding why people are turned off by this... I personally thought the video was funny and quite well done. The swearing wasn't so much the issue for me but it was more the fact that over the last few days instead of Casey trying to come up with complete and well thought out replies to important questions being asked here. He uses his creative energy to make a video (Sorry bro. Mary came up with that first) that he hopes will try and get people to not think about the things that are important here...

- Why can no one get a straight answer as to why he was put on probation? All I've read are answers like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
I wouldn't call it a probationary period nor a suspension.

I am currently on a leave-of-absence as House Leader for the purposes of campaigning.

However, before the campaign started, a recall procedure was started against me which failed. The Assembly chose instead to give me a two-week period to prove that I can execute my YearPlan and work on overall professionalism.
Where he says that he's not on probation but rather on a leave of absence and then goes on to say that he's been given two weeks to prove that he can do his job (i.e. probation). Wtf?

-What does Casey planning on doing about the MSU's recent losses? Is he truly capable of essentially being in control of a multi million dollar organization that is currently running at a deficit? Not a SINGLE "promise" addresses this... Instead he chooses to talk about getting a better band for welcome week... again wtf? I'm not looking for the next Steve Jobs (IPAD whatt) here but I'm hoping that the next MSU president realizes what's going on and really address this. I think some of the other candidates do this to some degree.

-Why does pretty much every second promise on Casey's platform page start with the word "Lobby"? Do students understand that just because he uses the word "lobby" it doesn't necessarily mean that everything will just magically work out when he's president? Casey mentions that he's had lots of lobbying experience... yet he has not mentioned what he got accomplished during all that time.

-Why are people repeatedly being banned/ comments getting deleted from his facebook group because they choose to strongly express their opinion? Surely he must realize that answering a strong opinion with a well thought out and logical answer is more admirable and is exactly what a true leader does/has the capability of doing?

This is why people are upset... because he's been focusing mostly on trying to win votes by being funny/talented and covering up important issues in the hopes that this will overshadow what really matters... Casey keeps trying to harp on the fact that he's a "student" Yes... I agree! We're students... But we're also adults to some degree and the person who's president next year has to be a grown up/adult if there is any hope to turn the MSU around in the near future. Rant over.

Last edited by bluser : 02-03-2010 at 12:54 AM.

michelle says thanks to bluser for this post.

KN1991, McIntyre, mike_302 like this.
Old 02-03-2010 at 12:49 AM   #184
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

The MSU is not in debt. In fact, the MSU has about $3.5 million sitting in surplus reserves. However, what we have seen is a decrease in year-to-year earnings, and the MSU has posted a loss in the past two fiscal years, and likely will do so again this year thanks to the payouts of PST money.

bluser, kanthamd all say thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 02-03-2010 at 12:54 AM   #185
bluser

Thanks for clearning that up Rohan.

Post edited.
Old 02-03-2010 at 01:04 AM   #186
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Let's hope the general student body is as smart and engaged as it seems the majority of people here on MacInsiders are. Casey is not the answer by any means. Not only do I think he would do a poor job next year, but I've heard from many individuals considering running for Vice-President positions, applying for Part-Time Manager positions or even just working for the MSU that they would not work for an MSU led by Casey. These election results affect a lot more than just who is in the position of President, and I hope students can make the right decision.
Old 02-03-2010 at 01:15 AM   #187
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Please remain on topic

Feel free to discuss this candidate's campaign and/or ask the candidate questions.
Old 02-03-2010 at 03:16 AM   #188
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

I apologize in advance for the length of the post, but I promise that its worth reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluser View Post
Why can no one get a straight answer as to why he was put on probation?
The 2-week (10 work days) probationary period was put in place as a substitute for the recall motion that was discussed at SRA 09M (January 10). The open-session draft minutes of that meeting will be available tomorrow (Wednesday) on the MSU website, but since I had the opportunity to look them over earlier today I can report that the motion read as follows:

Moved by McIntyre, seconded by Tenenbaum that Mr. Casey Park improve on professional behaviour and communication regarding “a pragmatic communications strategy” from the House Leader Year Plan, with the penalty of the initiation to again begin recall procedures if he has not done this within two weeks.

In favour: 26 Opposed: 2 Abstain: 2
Abstain: Jun, Park

Motion Passed

If your question is about why the whole issue came up to begin with (i.e. why there was an attempted recall) I can speak a bit to that. Though the proceedings of the recall motion are confidential (since they happened in closed session), the grounds for the recall are not. As a disclaimer, the concerns presented below were concerns that I personally had prior to the meeting, and they all pertain to incidents or issues that arose in a public setting.

First off, there was a concern that Casey was not adhering to MSU Bylaw 4 - Officers or his Job Description (not available online). With regard to Bylaw 4, I had particular concerns over sections 7.1.10 (assisting SRA members with their goals), 7.1.13 (facilitating SRA outreach), and 7.1.15 (developing a positive social environment).

Secondly, a major issue was Casey's lack of progress on his YearPlan, which was ratified by the SRA back in April. The "Pragmatic Communications Strategy" was a particular point of concern, and I was upset that the Ad-Hoc Committee on SRA Visibility had not done anything (a single meeting or focus group had not been called). It is worth noting the perceived importance of the Ad-Hoc Committee, both to Casey and to the SRA. Back in April, when the SRA moved to strike this committee, concern was raised over its accountability. The following exchange can be noted in the SRA 09C minutes, pages 11-12:

Moved by Park, seconded by Hodgson that the SRA strike an Ad Hoc Committee on SRA Visibility consisting of the House Leader as chair, three (3) SRA members, and four (4) MSU members to be elected at the second meeting in September. The committee will report in November in terms of initial recommendations and in March for the final recommendations.

Kasmani – What will be the repercussions if the deadlines are not met?
Park – If the deadlines are not met, then there should be automatic recall procedures for the House Leader.

Thirdly, the House Leader's professionalism was a concern. However, his conduct has already been publicly discussed at length and I don't feel the need to revisit this issue here.

In fairness to Casey, I should post the two reports that he presented to the SRA, dated July 11 and October 18.

I hope that this post answers the bulk of your question. Casey Park isn't a bad guy at all (in fact, he's a pretty great guy) and this post should not be construed as a personal attack, but there were a number of legitimate concerns raised regarding his performance as House Leader. This post is my personal take on the issue.

Kathy2, McIntyre, michelle, Nosh all say thanks to emtee10 for this post.

fionn.smyth likes this.
Old 02-03-2010 at 08:07 AM   #189
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

this might sound terribly childish and vindictive...and it is, BUT I kinda hope Casey wins. There seems to be so much dislike, and he seems so awful that wonderful chaos might be a result of him running the school, maybe.
Old 02-03-2010 at 08:57 AM   #190
bluser

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee10 View Post
I apologize in advance for the length of the post, but I promise that its worth reading.

The 2-week (10 work days) probationary period was put in place as a substitute for the recall motion that was discussed at SRA 09M (January 10). The open-session draft minutes of that meeting will be available tomorrow (Wednesday) on the MSU website, but since I had the opportunity to look them over earlier today I can report that the motion read as follows:

Moved by McIntyre, seconded by Tenenbaum that Mr. Casey Park improve on professional behaviour and communication regarding “a pragmatic communications strategy” from the House Leader Year Plan, with the penalty of the initiation to again begin recall procedures if he has not done this within two weeks.

In favour: 26 Opposed: 2 Abstain: 2
Abstain: Jun, Park

Motion Passed

If your question is about why the whole issue came up to begin with (i.e. why there was an attempted recall) I can speak a bit to that. Though the proceedings of the recall motion are confidential (since they happened in closed session), the grounds for the recall are not. As a disclaimer, the concerns presented below were concerns that I personally had prior to the meeting, and they all pertain to incidents or issues that arose in a public setting.

First off, there was a concern that Casey was not adhering to MSU Bylaw 4 - Officers or his Job Description (not available online). With regard to Bylaw 4, I had particular concerns over sections 7.1.10 (assisting SRA members with their goals), 7.1.13 (facilitating SRA outreach), and 7.1.15 (developing a positive social environment).

Secondly, a major issue was Casey's lack of progress on his YearPlan, which was ratified by the SRA back in April. The "Pragmatic Communications Strategy" was a particular point of concern, and I was upset that the Ad-Hoc Committee on SRA Visibility had not done anything (a single meeting or focus group had not been called). It is worth noting the perceived importance of the Ad-Hoc Committee, both to Casey and to the SRA. Back in April, when the SRA moved to strike this committee, concern was raised over its accountability. The following exchange can be noted in the SRA 09C minutes, pages 11-12:

Moved by Park, seconded by Hodgson that the SRA strike an Ad Hoc Committee on SRA Visibility consisting of the House Leader as chair, three (3) SRA members, and four (4) MSU members to be elected at the second meeting in September. The committee will report in November in terms of initial recommendations and in March for the final recommendations.

Kasmani – What will be the repercussions if the deadlines are not met?
Park – If the deadlines are not met, then there should be automatic recall procedures for the House Leader.

Thirdly, the House Leader's professionalism was a concern. However, his conduct has already been publicly discussed at length and I don't feel the need to revisit this issue here.

In fairness to Casey, I should post the two reports that he presented to the SRA, dated July 11 and October 18.

I hope that this post answers the bulk of your question. Casey Park isn't a bad guy at all (in fact, he's a pretty great guy) and this post should not be construed as a personal attack, but there were a number of legitimate concerns raised regarding his performance as House Leader. This post is my personal take on the issue.
Thanks for that.
Old 02-03-2010 at 09:56 AM   #191
KN1991

Liked: 52 Times

Thank you so much for that post, I searched high and low for the legitimate answer, knowing that Casey was actually able to say that, but chose to say "he couldn't". I really do appreciate the info
Old 02-03-2010 at 12:27 PM   #192
JonHiggins

Liked: Liked 2 Times

No but not allowing me to voice my opinion by deleting my posts and banning me from groups does not sound like someone I want as my leader.
Old 02-03-2010 at 02:07 PM   #193
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

hey Casey and team : question of curiosity :

How did you go about choosing which points you would incorporate into your platform ; I assume the ludacris ones were entirely thrown out but how did you go about filtering the others ?