Choosing residence? kirsten..! Residence & Housing 2 02-21-2010 03:22 PM
Need Help Choosing Courses ThatGuy Academics 3 06-22-2009 11:15 PM
Choosing First Year Rez bhaley General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 12:03 PM

Choosing Selection Help

Old 06-15-2011 at 03:49 PM   #1
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Choosing Selection Help
Hi, I am starting the life science program this September and course selection for first years is in two weeks so I would like some questions answered. So far these are the courses I have decided on:

Bio 1A03
Bio 1M03
Psych 1X03
Math 1A03
Math 1AA3
Chem 1A03
Chem 1AA3
Physics 1B03
Physics 1BA3

I have one free space and I am not sure what I should do with it. I noticed that I am missing a requirement for just the honours life science program but I am not sure whether I should fill out the requirement for the honours program or if I should do Math 1B03 there.

I have interest in going into honours physics with the biophysics specialization in second year and you can take that program in first year or have it completed by the end of second year. If I do not do Math 1B03 there I would like to do Astron 1F03, the first year medical physics course or a music course because I find those courses interesting but then I do not fill out the requirement for honours life science. I think honours life science with the origins specialization looks really good.

I fill out the requirements for pretty much anything else if I do not fill out the requirement for just honours life sci but the others are all limited enrolment programs and while I am a good student I am still really scared that I will screw up my first year. What happens if I don't fill out the prereqs for honours life sci and don't have the grades for other programs? The physics programs are all unlimited enrolment and I would fill out the requirements so could I go there? It would be what I wanted anyway, provided that I don't start hating and/or sucking at physics all of a sudden.

Thank you for reading, I know it was a long post but I am unsure of what to do. Any help is appreciated, especially from people in the physics program now because I have heard next to nothing about it. Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2011 at 03:57 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post

I have interest in going into honours physics with the biophysics specialization in second year and you can take that program in first year or have it completed by the end of second year. If I do not do Math 1B03 there I would like to do Astron 1F03, the first year medical physics course or a music course because I find those courses interesting but then I do not fill out the requirement for honours life science. I think honours life science with the origins specialization looks really good.

I fill out the requirements for pretty much anything else if I do not fill out the requirement for just honours life sci but the others are all limited enrolment programs and while I am a good student I am still really scared that I will screw up my first year. What happens if I don't fill out the prereqs for honours life sci and don't have the grades for other programs? The physics programs are all unlimited enrolment and I would fill out the requirements so could I go there? It would be what I wanted anyway, provided that I don't start hating and/or sucking at physics all of a sudden.

Thank you for reading, I know it was a long post but I am unsure of what to do. Any help is appreciated, especially from people in the physics program now because I have heard next to nothing about it. Thanks again!
You have a lot of questions and concerns... I would aim for the bare minimum requirements for honors life sci (whatever they may be, its not my faculty, so I cant say), and stick with as few extra courses as possible (since you're so uncertain as to whether you'll do well).

Which programs do you qualify for if you just do the above courses you listed?

Bottom line: either just those courses, or possibly a +1 course, depending on the consequences of not having the max number of courses. Wait for a sci/lifesci person to respond.
Old 06-15-2011 at 04:17 PM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

It's funny how I didn't even know about unlimited enrollment for Honours Life Science until mid way through my second term, so I was definitely someone who flopped out of this option. My grades were really good after my first term, but I had no idea if my second term was going the same way or not. So I just went with it and things worked out fine.

It maybe possible that you can still do Honours Life Science even without doing psych 1XX3 in the first year and you just do it in second year. Just have to email the right people and get it cleared up.

Though, it does seem like you want to play it safe and if that puts you at ease when you start university I don't see why you shouldn't take psych 1XX3. You can still change your term 2 courses right up until it starts so maybe you'll get a feel for how well you're doing and then you can decide if you should still chase after Honours Life Science or take psych 1XX3 in the summer. You can also consider doing math 1B03 in the summer.

So all in all if it makes you feel better, take psych 1XX3 so you have one less thing to stress you out. And then you can decide to change it if you're seeing that you probably don't need it since you're finding your grades to be good enough.

MirandaC says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 06-15-2011 at 11:15 PM   #4
MirandaC

Thanks, I think I will go with kin or psych in that spot then. Math 1B03 can be pushed back.
Old 06-16-2011 at 11:24 AM   #5
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

I agree with particle- I suggest you go for Psych 1XX3
in my opinion it is a veryyyy easy course and it provides a little bit of interest as well +joe Kim is a jokesterrr

as for a Kin i don't suggest you place your bets on that for 2 reasons: 1) it is a veryyyy popular course with limited seats and many people dont get in
2) you will be limited to taking Kin 1Y03 in first term only which might mess up your schedule a bit (and ...not that this matters that much... but you will also end up blocking other people who want to take both Kin 1Y03 and 1YY3 because Y03 is the prereq....just sayin )

MirandaC says thanks to spyridm for this post.
Old 06-16-2011 at 05:32 PM   #6
MirandaC

Good points about the kin course. I will go for the psych course then. Thanks!