MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
commuting raveenaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-30-2011 09:39 PM
Commuting to WW missscarlett First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-08-2011 04:01 PM
Anyone Commuting to Mac? recos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-30-2010 11:26 PM
Parking Permit Omega_X13 General Discussion 5 08-30-2008 10:37 AM
Parking Permit Pokecheck General Discussion 3 08-04-2008 08:04 PM

Commuting to Mac/Parking Permit

Old 07-30-2012 at 06:43 PM   #1
speirac

Liked: 1 Time

Commuting to Mac/Parking Permit
So I am looking into getting a permit for parking, and it allows me to choose LOT M, and I need a transponder. On the parking map, it shows LOT M as a visitor and transponder lot. Am I not able to choose any of the other lots because I am first year?

Is anyone else getting a parking permit? Is it worth the $400 plus the far distance in walking from the lot?

Thanks!!
Old 07-30-2012 at 07:12 PM   #2
speirac

Also, what happens if the lot I am assigned to fills before I get there, am I left with no where to park?
Old 07-30-2012 at 07:28 PM   #3
monachima505

Liked: 0 Times

You have three choices as a first year. Lot M is $45/month, and allows parking anywhere on campus between 7:30PM-7:30AM weekdays and all day on weekends. The Ward Avenue lot is $50/month, and allows parking anywhere 4:30PM-7:30AM weekdays and all day weekends. And the Underground Stadium lot is $99/month and allows parking anywhere same times as the Ward lot.

Stadium is the closest to everything, but honestly I parked there and you spend a solid 5 minutes driving through campus, through all the stop signs and waiting for people to walk. Nice that it's underground when it's snowing out, but overall not worth the money in my opinion. Ward and Lot M are a bit far away, but both have shuttles to campus. Ward is about a 15-20 minute walk and Lot M is a bit more, if you don't take a shuttle (they come every 15-30 mins). Depending on whether you will be going to campus later (after 4:30PM), you will probably want Lot M or Ward.

In 3 years of parking on campus the lots have never full for me. You'll always have a place to park, especially in Lot M or Ward, huge amount of spaces.

You could also sketchily park for free in the Fortino's parking lot which is about 25-30 minutes, and hope that you're not ticketed. I wouldn't recommend this every day, but if you happen to be going occasionally in the summer then that's fine. Also, if you go down Emerson as far as Ainslie, there is unlimited time street parking, but thats probably about 30 minutes away too. The one-hour spots near campus are good if you're just stopping quickly, but the parking officers are really strict so I would never go more than 1.5 hours there.

Any other questions let me know.
Old 07-30-2012 at 07:50 PM   #4
speirac

Thanks for the post! You were a huge help. Do I need anything for getting onto the shuttle from M lot? Or is it strictly for students. Also, is it too late to even apply for a permit?
Old 07-30-2012 at 08:04 PM   #5
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

The shuttle from lot M comes every 10 mins or so during rush hour times (8 - 11 am & 3 - 6 pm). You do not need anything to get on that shuttle. It takes you to the west side of campus near BSB/Mary Keys Residence.
Old 07-30-2012 at 08:54 PM   #6
speirac

Thanks! I don't quite know which buildings my classes are in yet, but that has helped me greatly!