MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Mac computer. gallagaj General Discussion 18 01-06-2011 07:31 PM
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Computer HELP? blackdragon Computers & Tech 20 07-10-2010 09:36 PM
need computer help Strongwiller General Discussion 4 12-03-2009 03:59 PM
Need computer help! kokosas General Discussion 16 08-01-2008 08:14 AM

computer die... what do?

Old 06-18-2011 at 06:35 PM   #16
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I have to have my comp sent to the manufacturer so they can determine if I'm still eligible to be covered under the warrenty, so it'll be about 3 weeks until I can get my harddrive back to fiddle with.. staples says there is physical damage and it'll cost ~500$ to recover the files if they send it to a company in Toronto (clean room, professional business computer file recovery service)... :/

I'm not sure how qualified Staples' computer technicians are to diagnose this problem as it is... compared to somebody working for Best Buy or Futureshop.

Thanks for the offered help though!
they all probably send it to some other company for recovery.

If the head of the hard drive is damaged, your data is as good as gone. Try downloading a Linux Live CD (like Ubuntu's) and mounting the drive to see if your data is still there.

One of my hard drives failed some months ago, almost the same thing happened (except that I actually banged my fist on the laptop) now I can't even access it without waiting for an eternity.

I'll advise to not access it until you're ready to transfer data immediately, if the head is damaged further, eventually you won't be able to access the data.

Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2011 at 08:28 AM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
they all probably send it to some other company for recovery.

If the head of the hard drive is damaged, your data is as good as gone. Try downloading a Linux Live CD (like Ubuntu's) and mounting the drive to see if your data is still there.

One of my hard drives failed some months ago, almost the same thing happened (except that I actually banged my fist on the laptop) now I can't even access it without waiting for an eternity.

I'll advise to not access it until you're ready to transfer data immediately, if the head is damaged further, eventually you won't be able to access the data.

Good Luck!
I'll keep that in mind when I get my hdd back... probably going to end up losing 50GB of music and my important text files :(

WHY DONT I BACK UP REGULARLY! WHY!