MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mayor Responds to Student Concerns about Stadium finklej MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-04-2010 04:32 PM
What are your biggest concerns/worries for this new school year? b_sunshine55 General Discussion 132 09-06-2009 01:39 AM
Residence Concerns (2009) lorend Residence & Housing 368 09-03-2009 09:59 AM

Concerns about res?

Old 05-25-2008 at 10:26 AM   #46
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You're not going to ADMIT to doing it.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-28-2008 at 09:13 PM   #47
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

What would be a good size fridge for living in res? I was looking at Costco the other day and the only mini fridge they had was a 4.4 cuft one that was 33in (height) x 26.5 in (width) x 20.75 in (depth). Would that be too big for a traditional double room?
Old 05-28-2008 at 09:33 PM   #48
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If I'm not mistaken that is the standard size, offered through the school for rent.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-28-2008 at 09:59 PM   #49
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

In regards to the bathrooms, the residences that are non-communal are: Les Prince, Hedden, McKay, Bates, and Keyes.
In Les Prince, you share with your roommate or it's all yours if you're in a single. However, keep in mind that these rooms cost more because of the lower users-to-bathroom ratio.
In Hedden, you share the bathrooms with everyone in your 'pod' or culvert or whatever you'd call the little neighbourhoods that you have in your hallway. It's more private than a communal one with your whole floor as each bathroom is separted by an actual wall and you will likely only share it with your immediate neighbours.
McKay Hall is very similar to Hedden, just without the 'pod' terminology.
Keyes and Bates are suites/apartments so you only share it with your roommates.

As for communal bathrooms, I wouldn't worry too much about them. I lived with one first year and actually liked it!! I met a lot of people in the bathroom.... it was good times!... I'm serious!! You have the privacy you need when you need it and they are all kept very clean.
I never once had to worry about all the showers being used at one point and then not getting to go. The bathroom to person ratio is the same for residences with the communal style versus the non-communal style.

Just remember, when you get to rez, don't fuss over which building you are in, just enjoy the experience!! It's about the people you meet and the friends you make and so you'll enjoy the residence experience regardless of the building style..
Old 05-29-2008 at 06:50 AM   #50
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

When is the id thing due? Lawl I already forgot the date for it
Old 05-29-2008 at 11:57 AM   #51
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

i would recommend buying your fridge after you know which residence you are assigned to. If you are given a bunk/loft triple room, there is a complementary 5 cuft fridge for the room. So there really isn't enough room for an additional fridge, so you don 'thave to buy. It prb isn't recommeneded anyways because it would be a strain to the electricity for the building. and you room might get a bit warm w/ all the computers, fridges and people.
Old 05-29-2008 at 03:02 PM   #52
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

thanks for the tip that's what i was planning on doing anyways, just encase i got a triple, or my roommate already had a fridge to use.

but it's good to know the one supplied is 5 cuft, meaning a 4.4 cuft one wouldn't be too big either.
Old 05-29-2008 at 08:56 PM   #53
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

4.4 cuft is the perfect size to put stuff in and if you share between two people its enough room for sure.
just dont' get the smaller kind.. i have that. and its not enough and takes up just as much room.
Old 06-19-2008 at 12:54 PM   #54
lampk

Liked: 0 Times

are we allowed to bring our own fridges in or do we have to rent from mac?
Old 06-19-2008 at 12:58 PM   #55
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

you can bring your own.. but if you're n a triple you get it for free
Old 06-19-2008 at 02:48 PM   #56
lampk

what about T.v's?
i know there are tv's in the common rooms, but are you allowed one in your own room? if so, how would you go about acquiring the cable and such?
Old 06-19-2008 at 11:40 PM   #57
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Yes, you can bring your own TV.
For cable, you need to make your own arrangements with Cogeco, the local cable provider. 905-333-5522/ http://www.cogeco.com

Old 06-20-2008 at 09:25 AM   #58
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

The TVs are usually free in the common rooms. I remember NO ONE went into the common room except for Thursdays, I always ended up studying in there. A TV really isn't needed.
Old 06-21-2008 at 04:39 PM   #59
brrrr

Does anyone know what Moulton is like? Are the washrooms like one for every room and are the rooms big enough?

Also my res thing says that I have room 116A. Does the A mean its a shared room or my own?
Old 06-21-2008 at 05:44 PM   #60
lampk

hey brrrr, how do you have information about your room already?

I thought that information was released in early July?
Are you entering your first year or an upper year student?