MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mayor Responds to Student Concerns about Stadium finklej MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-04-2010 04:32 PM
What are your biggest concerns/worries for this new school year? b_sunshine55 General Discussion 132 09-06-2009 01:39 AM
Residence Concerns (2009) lorend Residence & Housing 368 09-03-2009 09:59 AM

Concerns about res?

Old 07-15-2008 at 07:42 AM   #91
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

I have recently read somewhere on the Mac facebook group that fridges are no longer provided as a free service in triple/bunk&loft rooms this year....is there any truth to this? I just passed up the opportunity to buy a fridge from a friend because I was told that my room would already have one.
Old 07-15-2008 at 08:14 AM   #92
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I haven't heard anything like that Kayla but Housing would be the people to call.

KaylaMarie says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 07-23-2008 at 10:12 PM   #93
rammramm

Liked: 10 Times

hey! i don't know if this question has been answered already, but what size bedsheets should you purchase for residence? i'm assuming twin? but there's also twin extra long.. is that a better choice?
thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2008 at 10:15 PM   #94
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Yep, twin/single is what you want, unless you know you're getting an extra-long mattress (which must be requested in advance if you're really tall).

rammramm says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 07-23-2008 at 10:20 PM   #95
rammramm

Liked: 10 Times

thanks! it's just that i went shopping for bed linen the other day and the store clerk recommended twin extra long because she said that's typically what there is in residence so i wasn't sure. i guess i'll just stick with twin then?
Old 07-24-2008 at 03:02 AM   #96
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Just regular twin/single always worked fine for me, but if the style you want only comes in twin extra long, that'd probably work, too - there just may be some extra material to fold under the mattress (there's only a difference of 5 inches in length between the two, anyway).

Also, as I mentioned, some people request extra-long beds and get a slightly longer mattress as a result - I'd imagine that these would use the "twin extra long" sheets (since they likely still use what's considered to be a "standard" sheet size and not something wonky).
Old 07-24-2008 at 10:17 AM   #97
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

I thought the same thing, I'd read that all res beds were twin extra long, so I bought sheets that size. They worked fine for me (didn't seem too big or anything), but my roommate had just regular twin sheets, and she was fine too....
Don't ask me what went on there haha.
Old 07-25-2008 at 08:02 AM   #98
rohit20890

Liked: 0 Times

I have been alloted to Les Prince Hall for my first year studies, but after seeing the campus map and the comments as on this site i came to know that Les Prince Hall is too far from the main campus!!!! will that affect my social life???
Old 07-25-2008 at 09:25 AM   #99
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

No, of course not. It's further compared to other residences. However, it really isn't THAT far. Some universities residences are a FAR walk away from the center of campus. You can walk to the Student Centre from Les Prince in under 3 minutes. We sometimes exaggerate the facts in other forums. It's honestly not THAT bad. Your social life will be fine. Just be sure to step outside of your room and meet people. The walk is a bit longer if you walk to the opposite side of campus though so make sure you wake up early enough if you have morning classes but it's nothing impossible.

rohit20890 says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 07-31-2008 at 11:21 PM   #100
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I was in Les Prince last year. I was a bit worried about the walk, but it's never much of an issue. The only times it is really noticable is during the winter months when you have to walk in knee-high snow just to get food. I think it's a good trade-off. A 30 second-1 minute longer walk for a newer rez.

The only thing that bugs me about Les Prince is that there was no door to enter at the side. You have to walk past the side, all the way to the middle of it to get in. Most other rez have a side door...

rohit20890 says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 08-01-2008 at 12:08 PM   #101
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

i never had much of a problem when i lived in les prince. if you want, and have class later during the day, then buy dinner before you walk back, that way you don't have to come out again and walk to commons that's what i always did, so i really mind the distance. its a good trade off for your own washroom and newer place. think of it as a healthy exercise
Old 08-01-2008 at 12:58 PM   #102
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

As a former Heddenite, about one minute inside of Les Prince, I can safely say your social life won't be affected in a negative way at allll. But yeah as other posters have said...the winter months...hoo boy.
Old 08-07-2008 at 05:55 PM   #103
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

I'm going to be living in a 4 bedroom appartment in Bates Hall this year, and online it says that you either have a captain's bed or a closet. So I was wondering how I can find out which one I have? Because if I have a closet, I need to buy some sort of closet organizer and such, and maybe get some bins for under my bed, but if I have a captain's bed, I'll have to figure something else out...Thanks!
Old 08-07-2008 at 07:37 PM   #104
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_batt View Post
I'm going to be living in a 4 bedroom appartment in Bates Hall this year, and online it says that you either have a captain's bed or a closet. So I was wondering how I can find out which one I have? Because if I have a closet, I need to buy some sort of closet organizer and such, and maybe get some bins for under my bed, but if I have a captain's bed, I'll have to figure something else out...Thanks!

Hmm, I'm not sure but perhaps Housing could look that up for you? Perhaps if you ask really, really nicely?

If you have a captains bed you'll have two shelves under it as well if that helps you plan at all.

According to last years HPA of Bates you shouldn't purchase any stuff until after Welcome Week when you know how much room you're working with. However, he does say that they all have closets although they're not very large. If I rememeber correctly I think you've mentioned before that you live fairly close by... Guelph perhaps? If this is so, bring the minimal stuff that you need, that way if find you have more room you can bring more stuff from home.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-09-2008 at 06:27 PM   #105
unaiza

Liked: 0 Times

Hmm,
If we turned down the rez offer before in May, but we decide to live on rez now, can we still apply for it? Or it's just not possible anymore?