MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mayor Responds to Student Concerns about Stadium finklej MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-04-2010 04:32 PM
What are your biggest concerns/worries for this new school year? b_sunshine55 General Discussion 132 09-06-2009 01:39 AM
Residence Concerns (2009) lorend Residence & Housing 368 09-03-2009 09:59 AM

Concerns about res?

Old 08-11-2008 at 10:50 PM   #121
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I've had single rezes the past 2 years and this coming year as well. I find single rezes the best because they provide some solitude to the franticness that is residence. I'm always outside talking it up with the first years and hanging out in the common rooms. I never really got lonely and I find it's way easier to study and go to sleep. Just make sure not to coup yourself in your room all the time. I wish we could prop our doors...they always say it's a fire hazard, and I understand the reasoning, but I just don't think it makes a difference.
Old 08-14-2008 at 09:18 AM   #122
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

How often do people living in rez come home for the weekend? I live in Guelph, which is pretty close to Hamilton, so its convenient, but for some reason my mom thinks that I'm going to be coming home EVERY weekend, and I keep telling her that if I want to make friends, I need to stay at school for some weekends! lol, but she thinks that EVERYONE comes home on the weekends. so how often do people usually go home for weekends?
Old 08-14-2008 at 09:21 AM   #123
mitch
Elite Member

I permanently live in Toronto, and I usually go home every other weekend. I usually stay at MAC to study for tests and whatnot. However, being an upper year, most of my friends live off rez and are not here on the weekends, so there's not much for me to do. First years tend to stay at MAC for more weekends and when I get back there's beer cans everywhere in the common room!
Old 08-14-2008 at 11:11 AM   #124
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Lol, I live in Toronto and plan to come home every other weekend. My parents don't really mind as long as I come home once a month. So, I'll see how it goes. But I would mind lugging a sac full of dirty clothes, or a suitcase, and then bring some clean clothes (that was free to wash for me) and food back XD
Old 08-14-2008 at 11:47 AM   #125
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

on the other hand, i actually dont go home that often unless its a holiday or if i really need something from home. I rather spend the time to just study and do other stuff. When you have a whole bunch of tests and exams packed together, you might not want to go home that often. i go home when i feel the need to because i never get any school work done at home so i don't want to go home one week and then feel like i have so much work to do when i get back.
but a majority of people go home every other week.
Old 08-15-2008 at 08:58 PM   #126
mizosoup

Liked: 0 Times

So at the end of this semester, we're to move out on the day of our last exam, but at what time? Will there really be enough time to get organised with all that cramming going on and when we're celebrating the end of exams?
Old 08-15-2008 at 10:59 PM   #127
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

At Christmas break you have to move out the day after you last exam by noon, but in April you move out the day after you last exam by 5:00pm to give you more time to pack up your room.
Old 08-15-2008 at 11:02 PM   #128
mitch
Elite Member

I usually send most of my stuff home before my last exam. My parents will come up and they'll take all that's not necessary to have for the last few days. I procrastinate by packing up and getting ready to leave! I'm so ready to go home by the time my exams are done!
Old 08-15-2008 at 11:41 PM   #129
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Yeah, there's not really as much "celebrating" at the end of exams as you may think (especially in December). As Mitch implied, most people just want to get the hell out of there ASAP once their last exam is done, and not stick around. Part of the reason you have to be out the next day is actually to prevent disruptions to those who still are writing exams - i.e., if you're done exams halfway through the exam period, they don't want you around the building bugging people who didn't get as good a schedule as you :p

But I agree, at the end of the year especially, your move-out goes a lot smoother if you send things home incrementally over a period of time. If your parents can take a carload of stuff home during exams that you no longer need, then that's less to pack out right at the end.
Old 08-21-2008 at 01:09 PM   #130
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I didn't go home much in first year, and the same still applies...there just isn't a lot for me to do at home. Also, since I'm an only child my parents have adjusted to being on their own all the time, so it feels weird going back sometimes.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-26-2008 at 10:18 PM   #131
unaiza

Hey,

I was wondering if we can still apply for residence. If yes, then what kind of residence are we likely to get and also, are we going to have to pay the residence fee for the entire year or just one term?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2008 at 10:48 PM   #132
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You will have to contact housing and conference services. In previous years I think it may have possible to apply. However, in light of the Brandon fire I don't know if that is still the case.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-27-2008 at 11:07 AM   #133
bauhaual

Yes I would send an email to Housing. [email protected] r.ca
I think you would be able to move into a residence room in january. All Brandon students are able to move back into Brandon in January so more rooms will open up, and I personally know ALOT of students who will be leaving next semester because they are only here for term 1 - so there should be a lot of room space opening up.
Old 11-27-2008 at 05:12 PM   #134
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You will have to contact housing and conference services. In previous years I think it may have possible to apply. However, in light of the Brandon fire I don't know if that is still the case.
There was a small percentage of students that left the residence system (from Brandon) I have a feeling they might try to fill up the empty bed spaces since some students won't have roommates anymore.
Old 11-28-2008 at 06:25 PM   #135
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup, you're right, only a small percentage left. But I have a feeling that the rooms that houses exchange students for only one term (if not already claimed by students coming in for a term 2 exchange) would likely go to Brandon students who can't move back in come January.