MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mayor Responds to Student Concerns about Stadium finklej MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-04-2010 04:32 PM
What are your biggest concerns/worries for this new school year? b_sunshine55 General Discussion 132 09-06-2009 01:39 AM
Residence Concerns (2009) lorend Residence & Housing 368 09-03-2009 09:59 AM

Concerns about res?

Old 08-09-2008 at 07:43 PM   #106
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

I believe you can still apply for it, but since there is a waiting list going on, you'll be added to the end of the list. Contact Res Admissions and see what they say.

Email: [email protected] r.ca
Phone: 905-525-9140 x24342
In Person: Commons Building Room 101

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2008 at 10:04 PM   #107
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Just wondering if there is a list somewhere about what we aren't allowed to bring into residence?
Old 08-09-2008 at 10:37 PM   #108
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Just wondering if there is a list somewhere about what we aren't allowed to bring into residence?
I don't remember ever seeing a list that just mentions what not to bring, but I do know there are several items that are mentioned in the Residence Code of Conduct that you should not have in your room or you'll receive a minor.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-09-2008 at 11:46 PM   #109
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

Thanks Kokosas! Good memory, I am a Guelphite! Thats probably a good idea, I'm a total compulsive over packer, I'm gunna end up with a U-haul full of crap, and I'll probably drive it there, realize there's no room for 3/4 of the stuff, and bring it all back. oh well, learning experience lol. Thanks for the info on the closet!
Old 08-10-2008 at 09:10 PM   #110
katie_batt

Ok, so this may actually be the most random question ever, but I was wondering if anyone knows the dimentions of the desks in res? specifically, in Bates? Because I'm an aquarium hobbiest, and I have 3 aquariums in my room, and I want to take two of them with me, so I need to know which ones I will have room for, and if there is not enough room I'm gunna need to buy some smaller tanks! lol I'd like to have some room on my desk to do homework too! lol thanks
Old 08-10-2008 at 09:38 PM   #111
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_batt View Post
Ok, so this may actually be the most random question ever, but I was wondering if anyone knows the dimentions of the desks in res? specifically, in Bates? Because I'm an aquarium hobbiest, and I have 3 aquariums in my room, and I want to take two of them with me, so I need to know which ones I will have room for, and if there is not enough room I'm gunna need to buy some smaller tanks! lol I'd like to have some room on my desk to do homework too! lol thanks
Aiee!!

I don't know the exact dimensions of the desks... but a small fishbowl would probably be the extent to what you can put on it unless you get some other form of a stand. Your room isn't going to be all that large, you'll have the living room area and what not but that depends on your room mates and what kind of friends they make during the year. You don't want anything to happen to the poor fishies.

I couldn't find a picture but...you could try the virtual tour on the Housing Website:
http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence...ngs/bates.html

Old 08-10-2008 at 09:54 PM   #112
katie_batt

lol I had a feeling you would say something along those lines. but Iam determined to get both my tanks in there! lol Its gunna be rediculous, no room what so ever for homework!
Old 08-10-2008 at 10:14 PM   #113
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

lol, I have a feeling you'll be making good use of the study rooms in the basement and the libraries in that case!

Old 08-10-2008 at 11:43 PM   #114
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_batt View Post
How large are your fish tanks? You can probably get away with some 5-gallon ones. Also if you have your own room in Bates, you can probably bring a small shelf your tanks.
Old 08-11-2008 at 05:46 PM   #115
katie_batt

I'm bringing a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon. I might try to get a 5 gallon tall to replace the regular 5 gallon so that it takes up less surface area of the desk lol, a shelf is probably a good idea too.
Old 08-11-2008 at 07:15 PM   #116
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

In Mary keyes anyways, which has a similar layout to bates, i couldn't see having two fishtanks on my desk. However, I found the common room had alot of open table space...dont know if you want your fish out in the open but there would probably be space in your common area.
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:06 PM   #117
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

i just wanted to know how the phones in rez work. If we are calling people in other residences or people in our rez are we charged for that or is it free? Also since my parents have a long-distance plan i am planning to just call home when I want them to call me and then hang up. How would I be charged for that and is incoming calls free or no?
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:10 PM   #118
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

if you are calling people in your residence or ppl in the hamilton area, its free. its part of your residence fee

i never used the long distance plans either, but that is b/c i have my cell phone plan. people calling in from long distance should not charge you. my friends have their parents call at a certain time once a week. and they dont' get charged for sure! i'm not sure if you don't sign up for the long distance plan at school if you can call out. i never tried. haha. so hopefully someone can answer that better.
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:15 PM   #119
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I call long distance all the time from rez. I've never signed up for MAC's long distance plan, but instead bought phone cards. Over the years I've tried many different kinds, and finally figure out which is the best. I call to Toronto from Hamilton all the time. The best card I find for that is First Choice. I buy it off Ontariophonecards.ca There's no connection fee and I find you get the most minutes for your money.
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:46 PM   #120
Leraison

Liked: 0 Times

I have a single rez this year and to be honest.. I KNOW I'm going to get extremely homesick...
Are single rezes really lonely?