MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conflicting Courses rakhrans Academics 10 06-12-2010 07:19 PM
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Taking 2 conflicting courses hans23 Academics 5 06-01-2010 02:03 PM
How Do I Know If My Courses Are Conflicting? smartguy_263 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 07-02-2009 08:13 PM
Full Core Courses 0n3. Academics 2 07-05-2008 08:01 AM

Conflicting Core Courses

Old 06-15-2009 at 02:21 PM   #16
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
If 1BB3 is not an option, then you probably can't do much to get things shifted around, and you probably don't _want_ to wait a year to take 1BA3 as it will throw off some of your future physics course aspirations haha. Although I suppose you can still take 2B06 concurrently with 1BA3 next year...either way, you probably wouldn't want to.

EDIT: After having seen your timetable (didn't realize you uploaded it) I would say try your luck with the conflict. You can always meet up with the prof or group mates etc. after class. If you're a math student, you may even find yourself naturally not attending those tutorials, haha...I didn't!

EDIT 2: Actually, I realized that Physics 1BB3 and 1BA3 are both offered in the summer (They have been every year for the past 4 years that I've been checking). You may also want to consider this option.
The problem is physics will be my major (or a major part of my major) come second year (math&physics OR engineering). I don't want to take PHYS 1BB3, if I don't learn the things I need to learn to pursue either. I just don't want to be missing out on things when physics will become a huge part of my life.

Im pretty sure I won't "need" to attend the tutorials. My high school prep through IB (HL Math) is fairly solid. But I still don't want to risk it.

As for summer school, it's really not an option at this moment because I live in Toronto. Unless I get a house next year, which may or may not happen, summer school isn't an option.
Old 06-15-2009 at 03:24 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You can take summer school at another university. All you need is a letter of permission meaning that McMaster recognizes the course and university.
Old 06-15-2009 at 03:34 PM   #18
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

depending on your TA for 1C03 you may or may not go. My TA was brutal and if we had any problemswith our homework sets we just went to the profs office hours
Old 06-15-2009 at 11:53 PM   #19
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
The problem is physics will be my major (or a major part of my major) come second year (math&physics OR engineering). I don't want to take PHYS 1BB3, if I don't learn the things I need to learn to pursue either. I just don't want to be missing out on things when physics will become a huge part of my life.

Im pretty sure I won't "need" to attend the tutorials. My high school prep through IB (HL Math) is fairly solid. But I still don't want to risk it.

As for summer school, it's really not an option at this moment because I live in Toronto. Unless I get a house next year, which may or may not happen, summer school isn't an option.
For "Mathematical Physics" or "Mathematical Science" or "Engineering," 1BB3 is definitely sufficient. 1BA3 is like physics for physics majors...so unless you're either planning to switch into core Physics, or are simply a die hard fan of the subject, 1BB3 should really be good enough.

To expand a little bit, 1BB3 and 1BA3 cover the same physics material. 1BA3 however emphasizes critical thinking and will give more difficult, theoretical homework problems, such as derivations of formulas, which you will not find in 1BB3 (but you will find in math courses).

You should not be 'at a loss' if you take 1BB3...infact, I know many, or even most, physics majors wind up taking 1BB3 since it's the easier option, and both are plausible.

------------------------------

And also for summer school, you can get a transfer credit at another university...but in all honesty, if you're going to go to that much trouble, the course will not even be taught the same as at McMaster. You will wind up going through all this hassle, and just learn the same material, without the depth...

In which case you may as well just take 1BB3. As I noted above, the only difference between 1BB3 and 1BA3 is the way it's taught, and the difficulty of the homework problems (which will again, vary at another university).

-----------------------------

I also saw some suggestions regarding how to improve your timetable in the other thread. I should give a word of warning when considering 1D03/1E03 or 1L03. 1D03/1E03 may be advisable, since you are considering engineering, but this is far more applied than 1B/1BA. You will have less emphasis on the theory, and more emphasis on problem solving. (This has pro's and con's, depending on your interests. If you do engineering, this is definitely the way to go. However if you do Mathematical Physics, you need more theory and 1B/1BA are better choices). The differences are subtle, but surprisingly important!

1L03 on the other hand has a completely different flavour, and is geared toward the life sciences/biology. It does not go into nearly as much depth as you're talking about here, if Physics is to be a large part of your education. I would not recommend it to you, based on what you've told us.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-15-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2009 at 12:03 AM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
You will wind up going through all this hassle, and just learn the same material, without the depth...
How can you be so sure that McMaster's teachers are better than any other teacher at another university? Yes I agree that we have good teachers, but I don't agree that our teachers are so good that we should pay 4months rent, which is over 1000$, or even hundreds of dollars and probably close to 100 hours of commuting. I'm positive that the teachers at other universities are average and maybe even above average in their teaching.
Old 06-16-2009 at 02:46 AM   #21
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
1) How can you be so sure that McMaster's teachers are better than any other teacher at another university?

2) Yes I agree that we have good teachers, but I don't agree that our teachers are so good that we should pay 4months rent, which is over 1000$, or even hundreds of dollars and probably close to 100 hours of commuting.
1) That's not the point...I'm not referring to teaching ability. I'm refering to the fact that 1BA3 is designed for McMaster's Level II and III Physics program. If you take it from somewhere else, your course will differ from 1BA3 significantly (true or false?).

Hence, it differs as much as, if not more, than 1BB3 does.

2) I'm suggesting he takes 1BB3 (During the school year) instead of summer school at UofT...not that he commutes / rents here just to take 1BA3 at Mac.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-16-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2009 at 11:04 AM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Oh, I see. I understood your post differently. You are right about number 1 and if you were going into the physics program then you probably should take the course at McMaster.

And for number 2, I also checked to see if it could fit in second semester when I saw that 1BA3 was conflicting, but it's even worse.
Old 06-16-2009 at 03:07 PM   #23
mellye
Elite Member

So, no matter what I do, I still can't fit that second physics into my second sem. Scheduling 1BB3 is more screwed up than 1BA3! It conflicts with two of my courses three times (so in other words, I wouldn't be able to attend ANY of the classes). However, 1D03 and 1E03 fit perfectly into my schedule. But can I even take those courses? The requirement is to be in the engineering program. But, sadly, I am not. :( I should probably make an appointment to see a counselor, eh?
Old 06-16-2009 at 03:48 PM   #24
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
So, no matter what I do, I still can't fit that second physics into my second sem. Scheduling 1BB3 is more screwed up than 1BA3! It conflicts with two of my courses three times (so in other words, I wouldn't be able to attend ANY of the classes). However, 1D03 and 1E03 fit perfectly into my schedule. But can I even take those courses? The requirement is to be in the engineering program. But, sadly, I am not. :( I should probably make an appointment to see a counselor, eh?
I'm not sure if those courses are completely restricted to engineering students. You should try sending off an email to Sally Williams (the lady that solves everyones problems in the engineering office). She might be able to tell you what you need to do to take the courses. Her email is here: [email protected]. If she doesn't answer within a week, you might want to go speak with her directly... she tends to be really busy.

As for a bit more information on those courses, you'll probably be fine with 1D03. It's mostly review of high school concepts and doesn't extend very far beyond that (farthest is torque, moment of inertia). 1E03, on the other hand, is a bit more heavy on theory and not as intuitive. Depending on your professor, you'll probably see a lot of derivations and integration.

Overall though, neither is bad and pretty interesting.

mellye says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 06-16-2009 at 03:51 PM   #25
mellye
Elite Member

I did torque and moment of inertia in high school. I'll check it out. Thanks!

ps. thanks for giving me the e-mail! it would have taken me hours to find it!!<3
Old 06-16-2009 at 03:52 PM   #26
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
I did torque and moment of inertia in high school. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Okay, you'll probably ace this course then, lol :p.

Quote:
ps. thanks for giving me the e-mail! it would have taken me hours to find it!!<3
No problem .
Old 06-16-2009 at 04:09 PM   #27
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Depending on your professor, you'll probably see a lot of derivations and integration.
This brings up an interesting 'double meaning.'

When Ownaginatios says derivations...in this case, I believe he means derivatives (or at least in this context, the opposite of integration), but I could be wrong.

When I said derivations upon refering to 1BA3, I meant deriving formulas...'proving' the formulas are correct in some sense. (This may or may not require derivatives/integration...but it's a 'higher level' of analysis, critiquing physics itself (and not just the applications, as engineers are interested in)).

mellye says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-16-2009 at 04:11 PM   #28
mellye
Elite Member

haha. don't worry mowicz! I caught the difference. haha.
Old 06-16-2009 at 05:38 PM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
...in this case, I believe he means derivatives (or at least in this context, the opposite of integration), but I could be wrong.
No I meant the deriving formulas as in the "proving" sense (i.e. using fundamental principles to get the equations for the harder stuff). A lot of 1E03 was deriving formulas for magnetic and electric fields by integration. If I meant finding derivatives I would have said differentiation. Deriving doesn't mean finding the derivative...

Anyway, like I said. It sort of depends on your professor. In 1D03 you're unlikely to see any derivations (unless you have professor Venus), but in 1E03, however, you're likely to see a lot of derivations such as the electric/magnetic field around / between objects.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 06-16-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2009 at 05:56 PM   #30
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
No I meant the deriving formulas as in the "proving" sense (i.e. using fundamental principles to get the equations for the harder stuff). A lot of 1E03 was deriving formulas for magnetic and electric fields by integration. If I meant finding derivatives I would have said differentiation. Deriving doesn't mean finding the derivative...
The fact that you would use differentiation instead of derivation doesn't mean everyone would. :p

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-16-2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Removed most of it, to avoid straying from the topic