MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conflicting Courses rakhrans Academics 10 06-12-2010 07:19 PM
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Taking 2 conflicting courses hans23 Academics 5 06-01-2010 02:03 PM
How Do I Know If My Courses Are Conflicting? smartguy_263 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 07-02-2009 08:13 PM
Full Core Courses 0n3. Academics 2 07-05-2008 08:01 AM

Conflicting Core Courses

Old 06-17-2009 at 05:59 PM   #46
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
So, basically, thats what I end up with. I guess I better learn to split myself into two. There really is no other option...

EDIT: MATH 1C03 is part of my first year program. Unfortunately, if I don't take it, I also don't pass first year. If I were to only take PHYS 1B03, i'd be a waste of my money. Might as well wait until second year and basically start from scratch. Summer school isn't an option and I don't know. I feel like mac has just completely failed me. Makes me wonder if I made the right choice.

EDIT 2: Money-wise, taking PHYS 1B03 and 1BA3 in two separate years is really bad. Especially if I'll have to take PHYS 1E03 definitely and PHYS 1D03 possibly, when I switch to engineering. Might as well save my money and try and get some 2nd year courses done. And hopefully, get into engineering. Problem is, by then, I'll have no phys knowledge and I'll probably be so frustrated that I give up.
Just to throw this out there, switching to Engineering isn't exactly that easy. It has three or four courses that are only available to first year engineers and don't have equivalents in other first year programs.

As to physics knowledge in engineering, there are only a few streams that really make use of everything you learn in 1D03 and 1E03. I don't think it would be so hard to catch up, considering a lot will probably be review for you.
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:21 PM   #47
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
The problem is physics will be my major (or a major part of my major) come second year (math&physics OR engineering). I don't want to take PHYS 1BB3, if I don't learn the things I need to learn to pursue either. I just don't want to be missing out on things when physics will become a huge part of my life.

Im pretty sure I won't "need" to attend the tutorials. My high school prep through IB (HL Math) is fairly solid. But I still don't want to risk it.

As for summer school, it's really not an option at this moment because I live in Toronto. Unless I get a house next year, which may or may not happen, summer school isn't an option.
Why didn't you go to U of T for physics? I don't understand you Toronto kids lol

Anyhow, if you want to do math and physics, you don't need that comp sci course in first semester. There's a course in second year called Physics 2G03, basically an intro to scientific programming. Also, when I took BA3 this year, we had 3 sections. Just do some shuffling around with your schedule, I'm sure that you can fit in all your courses this way.
Also, may be take Chem 1AA3 since you're already doing Chem 1A03?
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:25 PM   #48
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

There are plenty of reasons not to go to UofT... a new one is their flat tuition fee.

When you said you took it "this year" I'm assuming you took it just last year. Since the lay-off of all those sessional profs there have been less sections in all courses. All the courses I have only have 1 section now. *sigh*
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:26 PM   #49
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Yes. I realize that it won't be easy. Two engineer courses as well as a physics course will have to be done. But if you look at my courses, everything else is strategically done. assuming I get the grades to do so and that I don't have o do those electives. What I was thinking is that maybe I can get away with taking a few 2nd year commerce courses in my first year to make up for some lost time instead of the two phys. I'd have to look into it though. I haven't gotten a chance though.

The thing is, if I take 1B03 and 1BA3 that will be equivalent to 1D03. Yes, that's nice and all, but it's kind of like I payed for two courses for one credit. And one of them, I may not be able to take because it's a conflict. I'm not even sure if they'll let me do both courses.

I'll keep asking around. Maybe eventually they'll break and just give it to me. I've heard a lot of those stories. I just don't wanna piss anyone off, when I've stepped on mac ground ONCE and plan on spending the next four years there.
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:31 PM   #50
mellye
Elite Member

I have my reasons for not going to UofT. First off, my parents wanted me in business. The only reason I got into a math program at mac was because I secretly switched it on ouac without telling them. I got into UT:Sc (UGH! Reason number 2!). And reason number 3 is that I can't live at home and study. I really can't.

I shuffled and shuffled. I decided to take out the comp sci, if you noticed on the updated one. NOTHING. and honestly if I can avoid doing as much chem as possible, I will
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:43 PM   #51
macsci
Elite Member

Fair enough.

My advice would be to be more decisive on what you want to do. If you're planning on staying in science, look carefully at the prereqs for the second year programs and take your courses accordingly! Also, unless you're going for Provost (straight 12s), if you study, I'm sure you'll do fine whatever courses you take so long as you keep up with your work.
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:49 PM   #52
mellye
Elite Member

Trust me. I'm doing Chem 12 in the summer because I've been very indecisive. I've learned my lesson.

I'll prob end up taking both phys courses and take my chances with the conflict. The problem is that I REALLY dont know what to do with a physics degree and at least with a engineering degree, I know what I'm doing. With phys, you can do so much. Except become an engineer. LOL.

I really need someone to talk me through this and who has all the answers to my life.
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:52 PM   #53
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

How many people actually make Provost?
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:53 PM   #54
mellye
Elite Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a lot of people.
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:53 PM   #55
macsci
Elite Member

If you can switch into engineering, there's also a program called engineering physics.
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:54 PM   #56
macsci
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
How many people actually make Provost?
I think Chad made a post about it earlier in the year. There was one student from 1st year science lol. For 2nd years and beyond, there were a ton of healthsci on the list, drowned out the rest.
Old 06-17-2009 at 06:57 PM   #57
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

You can go talk to advisors about your career options. I have to do the same when school starts. I currently don't have a back-up plan >.<
Old 06-17-2009 at 07:01 PM   #58
mellye
Elite Member

I want to go into eng phys. Stream N! lol

My back-up plan in teaching! Always and always! lol.
Old 06-17-2009 at 07:08 PM   #59
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Lol, yeah... teacher isn't my first back-up plan though. I like to think about it like Ted did about his job.
Old 06-17-2009 at 07:10 PM   #60
mellye
Elite Member

Ted? Whose Ted? LOL.