MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless Issues? blackdragon Computers & Tech 0 07-05-2010 12:16 PM
Lot M Issues webzn General Discussion 4 09-11-2009 10:10 AM
RESP issues Reno V First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-27-2008 02:03 PM
Food issues!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-06-2008 11:26 PM
Program Issues.. shockalot Academics 3 06-26-2008 08:41 PM

Copyright Issues

Old 09-10-2010 at 04:54 PM   #1
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Copyright Issues
The university made all profs add this into their course outlines this year:
Quote:
Copyright Policy: In this course you will have access to material that is subject to copyright laws. This includes (but is not limited to) the textbook, solutions manual and all resources developed by the instructors such as lab manuals, demonstration videos, quizzes, assignments, tests, class notes and class slides. You are not allowed under any circumstance to share or redistribute this material in any printed or electronic form without the explicit written consent of the copyright holder. This includes posting any course material on Internet bulletin boards, course repositories, social networks, etc.
There have been a few threads posting about this lately, so this seems to clear up any questions. You cannot post old tests or assignments or whatever online or give/sell it to anyone because of copyright issues, even if it doesn't state directly on it. I'm not sure if this applies retroactively to old course materials, and I don't know if it applies to course outlines (I doubt it, since most are made public and you can't actually use them for anything...unless someone was designing their own course based off of it?)
Old 09-10-2010 at 05:08 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

I always considered that academic dishonesty.
Old 09-10-2010 at 05:12 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluandExile View Post
I always considered that academic dishonesty.
Me too...but it's kind of a grey area, because you can look at an old assignment that is similar but not identical and not copy it, but only use it in the same way you would use an example from a textbook. Also, sharing class notes/slides wouldn't be considered academic dishonesty, I'm pretty sure.
This copyright thing lays it out pretty clearly that you shouldn't do it, but I don't know what the penalties would be :S Probably less severe than academic dishonesty penalties
Old 09-10-2010 at 05:17 PM   #4
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Me too...but it's kind of a grey area, because you can look at an old assignment that is similar but not identical and not copy it, but only use it in the same way you would use an example from a textbook. Also, sharing class notes/slides wouldn't be considered academic dishonesty, I'm pretty sure.
This copyright thing lays it out pretty clearly that you shouldn't do it, but I don't know what the penalties would be :S Probably less severe than academic dishonesty penalties
There's literally no way they can monitor people exchanging old tests/assignments. Unless McMaster has cameras watching us at all times
Old 09-10-2010 at 05:19 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
There's literally no way they can monitor people exchanging old tests/assignments. Unless McMaster has cameras watching us at all times
Oh, definitely not. But they could, for example, come on this forum and use the search function, or use google. Some people are also dumb and bring old copies of lab reports TO their lab so that they can copy/compare results before they hand it in (although that is also academic dishonesty )
Old 09-10-2010 at 05:22 PM   #6
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Some people are also dumb and bring old copies of lab reports TO their lab so that they can copy/compare results before they hand it in (although that is also academic dishonesty )
Sometimes I wonder how some people got into mcmaster.

DannyV likes this.
Old 09-10-2010 at 07:05 PM   #7
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder how some people got into mcmaster.
Sometimes I wonder how people stay in Mcmaster.

DannyV likes this.
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:46 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
The university made all profs add this into their course outlines this year:

There have been a few threads posting about this lately, so this seems to clear up any questions. You cannot post old tests or assignments or whatever online or give/sell it to anyone because of copyright issues, even if it doesn't state directly on it. I'm not sure if this applies retroactively to old course materials, and I don't know if it applies to course outlines (I doubt it, since most are made public and you can't actually use them for anything...unless someone was designing their own course based off of it?)
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll ask a couple of my profs about the course outlines. Hopefully they aren't copyright but something tells me they most likely are. If that's so then I have to remove all the course outlines... all that hard work >.> Lol
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:49 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll ask a couple of my profs about the course outlines. Hopefully they aren't copyright but something tells me they most likely are. If that's so then I have to remove all the course outlines... all that hard work >.> Lol
haha Or you could get permission from the profs? Which is even more work :(

It doesn't seem very sketchy, because it's not providing any monetary or academic benefit to people, it's just a good resource for people to decide if they want to take a course or not. I don't know though, it probably is safer to double-check.
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:51 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
haha Or you could get permission from the profs? Which is even more work :(

It doesn't seem very sketchy, because it's not providing any monetary or academic benefit to people, it's just a good resource for people to decide if they want to take a course or not. I don't know though, it probably is safer to double-check.
Lol, that's A LOT of profs XD But yeah, I agree that course outlines should be available to everyone but some departments still don't post their outlines (But some of them do say to contact the prof for a copy). But yeah, I'll ask my profs and maybe contact each department.