MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
shakespeer trouble hinesme General Discussion 7 09-14-2009 11:50 AM
Shakespeer Porsche911 General Discussion 12 02-02-2009 08:15 PM
DC/Shakespeer help? tungo89 General Discussion 2 11-09-2008 08:14 PM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM

DC++, Shakespeer off campus

Old 03-18-2009 at 11:10 PM   #1
ssheng

Liked: 0 Times

DC++, Shakespeer off campus
Hi, guys

i just wonder if i can get DC++ or Shakespeer off campus. would the speed depends on how my internet. i'm really enjoying the ones in my rez right now, download a movie in less than 30s, would i still get the same speed if i live in a house next year?

thanks all
Old 03-18-2009 at 11:12 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

there is no dc++ off campus because it is difficult to connect a computer that is off-campus to the on-campus network. and even if you could connect a computer, yes, the speeds would depend on your internet speed.
Old 03-18-2009 at 11:43 PM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I would advise you to falsely befriend a first year next year to allow you continuing access to the DC++.

That or grab as much crap as possible before you won't be able to touch it again :p.
Old 03-19-2009 at 07:05 AM   #4
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

The withdraws symptoms will be the worse.

Starting downloading some movies and then " @&#$ 200kb/s?"
Old 03-19-2009 at 08:28 AM   #5
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

That first summer without DC will be awfulll. You can only download so much before you leave res, and then you're done. I highly recommend surfthechannel for streaming
Old 03-19-2009 at 12:35 PM   #6
Panecasio

Liked: 11 Times

Get an external HDD and just BINGE on TV, movies, and music. Also, if you know anyone from your high school coming here next year, make sure you "visit" them in residence.
Old 03-22-2009 at 01:51 PM   #7
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

if you want to use DC++, you can always connect to the other thousands of hubs available to you.. however these are actual hubs not like the mcmaster hub and they expect you to share proper stuff.. and there are usually other restrictions.. sometimes you have to be on a certain ip range, have to be in active mode, have to register, etc...

normally, if you get 20gb of share, you can get on to good enough hubs to get speeds of around 80kb/s for the average popular movie.. if you are lucky, the very popular stuff i got speeds of up to 300kb/s...
Old 03-22-2009 at 03:26 PM   #8
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
if you want to use DC++, you can always connect to the other thousands of hubs available to you.. however these are actual hubs not like the mcmaster hub and they expect you to share proper stuff.. and there are usually other restrictions.. sometimes you have to be on a certain ip range, have to be in active mode, have to register, etc...

normally, if you get 20gb of share, you can get on to good enough hubs to get speeds of around 80kb/s for the average popular movie.. if you are lucky, the very popular stuff i got speeds of up to 300kb/s...
What? are you missing a 0 in those download speeds? Regular torrents/newsgroups gives me a minimum of 150, or i refuse to download from it.
Old 03-22-2009 at 03:40 PM   #9
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

its all about bandwidth....

in torrents, when you download a 100mb, you usually upload another 150mb.. you dont have much control over what is going on with torrents..

With Direct connect, ... well.. its direct and you know exactly what is going on...

I am biased though because I usually use DC.. i only use torrents to get pdf books for school..

also, the torrent protocol is throttled by mcmaster and usually is throtthled by ISP's..

but it all depends on what you want.. usually DC is better for downloading files that are hard to find.. torrent is good for popular movies that everyone has.. but you have to give up your bandwidth...
Old 03-22-2009 at 05:01 PM   #10
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
What? are you missing a 0 in those download speeds? Regular torrents/newsgroups gives me a minimum of 150, or i refuse to download from it.

most torrents download under 100kb/s. The more popular stuff is higher.