Dean's List Questions e1337 Academics 27 04-29-2012 03:48 PM
Dean's List kathyt.25 Academics 6 05-31-2010 02:08 PM
Dean's List manu Academics 28 01-16-2010 11:26 PM

Dean's List Problems

Old 03-27-2013 at 03:23 PM   #1
karellen

Liked: 0 Times

Dean's List Problems
So I found out that I should've been on the Dean's List for the past three years and the university somehow just forgot me. :( Possibly because I've been taking summer classes to get up to 30 credits per year and taking fewer during the fall/winter terms?

It's kind of a good thing to have on transcripts and I feel like I've been screwed over because I trusted the university knew what they were doing.

Does anyone have any experience with this happening? or know if there's anything I can do to retroactively get the award or something?

Old 03-27-2013 at 03:34 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by karellen View Post
So I found out that I should've been on the Dean's List for the past three years and the university somehow just forgot me. :( Possibly because I've been taking summer classes to get up to 30 credits per year and taking fewer during the fall/winter terms?

It's kind of a good thing to have on transcripts and I feel like I've been screwed over because I trusted the university knew what they were doing.

Does anyone have any experience with this happening? or know if there's anything I can do to retroactively get the award or something?
Pretty sure the reviewing process is automatic. Have you looked into the specific rules? It's hard to say more without knowing your exact situation.

You should make an appointment with an adviser in your faculty, they can explain it better to you (assuming you don't want to post your transcript on MI )

karellen says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 03-27-2013 at 03:35 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

"Each year outstanding students with a minimum average of 9.5 on at least 30 units (usually their Sessional Average) are named to the Deans' Honour List. Students will be assessed at the reviewing period (either after the Fall/Winter or summer session) when a minimum of 30 units (may not exceed 6 units that are pass/fail) has been completed since the previous Deans' Honour List review. At each review the assessment will be based on all units completed since the previous Deans' Honour List review."

More than 2 summer school courses? If so, too bad so sad.

Else, Good luck. Employers don't care if you got a 10, or got a 10 and labelled "Dean's Honour List".
Old 03-27-2013 at 03:44 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
"Each year outstanding students with a minimum average of 9.5 on at least 30 units (usually their Sessional Average) are named to the Deans' Honour List. Students will be assessed at the reviewing period (either after the Fall/Winter or summer session) when a minimum of 30 units (may not exceed 6 units that are pass/fail) has been completed since the previous Deans' Honour List review. At each review the assessment will be based on all units completed since the previous Deans' Honour List review."

More than 2 summer school courses? If so, too bad so sad.

Else, Good luck. Employers don't care if you got a 10, or got a 10 and labelled "Dean's Honour List".
From what you just posted, I see no limit on the number of summer school courses, just the number of pass/fail courses. As long as the courses were taken at Mac, they would count regardless of when they're taken.

Typically summer courses are counted in the session for the following year, so courses taken in the summer between first and second year would count towards the second year average.
Old 03-27-2013 at 03:49 PM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I see no limit on the number of summer school courses
Summer school courses are Pass.Fail courses, no? Assuming a course is 3 credits, the limit is 2 Pass.Fail courses before you exceed 6 credits of pass/fail
Old 03-27-2013 at 03:59 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Summer school courses are Pass.Fail courses, no? Assuming a course is 3 credits, the limit is 2 Pass.Fail courses before you exceed 6 credits of pass/fail
No, they're not. You get grades for them. If you transfer courses from another school then Mac considers them pass/fail, but it doesn't matter whether or not they're summer courses.

I've taken four summer school courses, and each of them counted towards my averages and towards my eligibility for Dean's list (I wouldn't have gotten on the Dean's list after second year if my course from the summer before had not been included).
Old 03-27-2013 at 09:36 PM   #7
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

it says in a sessional average. does that not mean in the fall/winter term. And its with a minimum of 30 units in that time so if you didn't take 10 courses in the time frame it doesn't count
Old 03-27-2013 at 10:01 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mac View Post
it says in a sessional average. does that not mean in the fall/winter term. And its with a minimum of 30 units in that time so if you didn't take 10 courses in the time frame it doesn't count
It says USUALLY the sessional average, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.
Old 03-27-2013 at 10:44 PM   #9
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Summer courses don't count in your SA from my experience. Mine never have.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 03-27-2013 at 10:49 PM   #10
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

What is dean's list other than resume padding?

MacPack likes this.
Old 03-27-2013 at 11:19 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
Summer courses don't count in your SA from my experience. Mine never have.
They don't count in the fall/winter SA because they're in a different session (they count towards your spring/summer SA), but they will count towards the Dean's list calculation once a minimum of 30 units has been obtained since the last review.

In second year I had a 9.4 SA, but I had taken a course the previous summer and got a 12. So, that 12 from the summer bumped me up enough to get me on the Dean's list (9.5 cutoff), even though it wasn't included in my SA.
Old 03-27-2013 at 11:25 PM   #12
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

If I get a 9.5 SA this year (30 units) and I took 2 courses the previous summer (summer going into this year), and lets say if those 2 classes were included in my average, it would be lower than 9.5. Would I then be ineligible for dean's list
Old 03-27-2013 at 11:46 PM   #13
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
If I get a 9.5 SA this year (30 units) and I took 2 courses the previous summer (summer going into this year), and lets say if those 2 classes were included in my average, it would be lower than 9.5. Would I then be ineligible for dean's list
I believe so. Unless they have some sort of rule where they'll take the top 30 units (which I haven't ever seen indicated anywhere, but I suppose it's possible), then your average won't meet the cutoff.
Old 03-29-2013 at 01:52 AM   #14
karellen

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Pretty sure the reviewing process is automatic. Have you looked into the specific rules? It's hard to say more without knowing your exact situation.

You should make an appointment with an adviser in your faculty, they can explain it better to you (assuming you don't want to post your transcript on MI )
Yeah, I think I'm just gonna have to go back and meet with an adviser again.

It seems from all these replies that how the average for the Dean's List is calculated is way too obscure.

Thank you everyone.

Old 03-29-2013 at 08:36 AM   #15
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karellen View Post
Yeah, I think I'm just gonna have to go back and meet with an adviser again.

It seems from all these replies that how the average for the Dean's List is calculated is way too obscure.

Thank you everyone.
Obscure how? I think what's outlined in the course calendar is pretty clear, the only thing it doesn't address is rpg51's question.

Let us know what the adviser says!