MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else sick of everyone deferring tests? MasterFett Academics 34 02-14-2012 05:22 PM
Question regarding deferring physics 1b03 exam ShesTheMan Academics 5 04-14-2011 11:32 AM
Strategically deferring Midterms CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 03-04-2011 01:58 AM
Deferring an Exam siefer1322 Academics 12 12-13-2010 03:58 PM
Upcoming At Mac Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-05-2007 03:22 PM

Deferring upcoming exam

Old 04-14-2012 at 10:50 AM   #1
Asclepius
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Deferring upcoming exam
Hey everyone, I'm a first year in life science and I'm stressing out! I was hoping that I could avoid deferring cause of how I'll have to write it 2 months from now, but it's better than writing it in pain. I went to the doctors and she filled out a McMaster doctors note and outlined my condition as serious. This problem also caused me to defer my midterm to my exam, meaning I now have to defer an exam that carries the percentage from my midterm. I'm unsure of the policies, but is there a rule against deferring an exam that includes a midterm? I've been told they only grant a deferral for things that are extremely serious such as a death in the family, or car accident? I don't know what I should do! :(
Old 04-14-2012 at 11:16 AM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i dont see why you cant defer it if you are experiencing illness or something else.

Asclepius says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 04-14-2012 at 02:43 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

As long as you have a valid doctor's note and submitted it to the Associate Dean's office on time (i.e. within a week or so) it should be granted and no need to worry!

Asclepius says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 04-15-2012 at 11:15 AM   #4
Asclepius
Account Disabled by User

My exam is tomorrow, and the advisor offices are closed on weekends. Will they mind if my note is brought in tomorrow afternoon? Is it 5 days before the examination or after that you must alert the advisors? I apologize for all of these questions
Old 04-15-2012 at 11:48 AM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asclepius View Post
My exam is tomorrow, and the advisor offices are closed on weekends. Will they mind if my note is brought in tomorrow afternoon? Is it 5 days before the examination or after that you must alert the advisors? I apologize for all of these questions
Within 5 business days--I believe either before or after works, although depending on your reason, it can seem sketchy if you're deferring beforehand, because this indicates foreseen circumstances. However, if you end up having something like a funeral on the day of your exam, it's reasonable that you knew about this at least a couple of days in advance and it's still completely legit. I wouldn't go 5 days before your exam and tell them you're going to be sick that day, though

Asclepius says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 04-15-2012 at 12:58 PM   #6
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

i have been very sick for a week and couldn't write the first 3 exams. the latest i can submit my doctor's note is by this upcoming monday (within 5 day policy). My condition becomes on and off at random times and if such a thing happens on monday and i cant go to school, will i be able to submit it tuesday?
Old 04-15-2012 at 01:00 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by epikness View Post
i have been very sick for a week and couldn't write the first 3 exams. the latest i can submit my doctor's note is by this upcoming monday (within 5 day policy). My condition becomes on and off at random times and if such a thing happens on monday and i cant go to school, will i be able to submit it tuesday?
The course calendar says "normally within 5 business days"...so if you have a legit reason for not being able to, it should be okay, but it's at their discretion.
Old 04-15-2012 at 01:32 PM   #8
Asclepius
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Within 5 business days--I believe either before or after works, although depending on your reason, it can seem sketchy if you're deferring beforehand, because this indicates foreseen circumstances. However, if you end up having something like a funeral on the day of your exam, it's reasonable that you knew about this at least a couple of days in advance and it's still completely legit. I wouldn't go 5 days before your exam and tell them you're going to be sick that day, though
Yeah, I was a little confused by the whole deferral process because I didn't expect to get sick like this before the weekend when the offices are closed, so I'll bring in my note once I'm feeling better, which should be within 5 days after the exam.
Old 04-15-2012 at 02:56 PM   #9
ozilcr7

Hello, if the exam is deferred. What day will it be written on?
Thank you.
Old 04-15-2012 at 07:30 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozilcr7 View Post
Hello, if the exam is deferred. What day will it be written on?
Thank you.
The dates are posted on the registrar's website > registered students > sessional dates. You don't know exactly which of those days your exam will be written on.