MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question regarding deferring physics 1b03 exam ShesTheMan Academics 5 04-14-2011 11:32 AM
Strategically deferring Midterms CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 03-04-2011 01:58 AM
Deferring an Exam siefer1322 Academics 12 12-13-2010 03:58 PM
Getting a sick note? crispyduck Academics 20 10-28-2010 10:29 PM
TRICK OR TREAT for SICK KIDS Chad General Discussion 1 10-21-2008 07:59 PM

Anyone else sick of everyone deferring tests?

Old 02-11-2012 at 07:56 AM   #1
MasterFett
Account Locked

Liked: 31 Times

Anyone else sick of everyone deferring tests?
Constantly I will have 2-3 midterms roll up in one week and I'll study my ass off. I'm not one to get involved in other peoples business but the advantage people are receiving is ridiculous. Even beyond the MSAF, McMaster is a joke for submitting doctors notes/its a joke to get a doctor's note.

People are lowering 3 midterms in a week to 1 midterm. They effectively have 3x the focus I have and I am at a disadvantage for being honest. I don't think the office even looks into cases because people defer tests at 9pm the night before and then write another one at 10am the next morning. I like the steps they are taking to limit the MSAF. I believe the MSAF where its at right now is pretty reasonable. But if someone wants to defer they can defer half their midterms due to doctors notes/connections. I know people that do this compulsively and it is working out for them amazingly. I talk to other people at different universities and they don't even understand the concept of our MSAF! Why is Mac such a joke for this

Don't even get me started on leaked answer keys/question pools. Ugh! Sorry just venting.

Old 02-11-2012 at 09:17 AM   #2
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

From what I have seen in EE, the midterm percentage will be moved to the final exam when you use the MSAF.

For example, the midterm is worth 15% and the final exam is worth 55% and decided to MSAF it. The final exam is now worth 80%. So pretty much, if you fail the exam. You fail the course.

In most cases, the exam is never easy... like 3EJ4. The midterms pretty much works in your favor if you study your ass off for it.

apples12, BlueWave, Circa like this.
Old 02-11-2012 at 09:23 AM   #3
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

I agree, it is a lot harder to well in a course if your exam is worth a lot. Midterms work to your advantage so if you defer it unnecessarily, you are at a big risk.
Old 02-11-2012 at 09:29 AM   #4
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

I really dont care about the msaf. 9/10 times they bomb the exam. The test banks is what I have an issue with. I spent 60+ hours studying for 3 midterms and this dude I know is like. ye i just memorized the answers from the test bank.
Old 02-11-2012 at 10:34 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Never used MSAF for a test, don't plan to.
Old 02-11-2012 at 11:09 AM   #6
MasterFett
Account Locked

Liked: 31 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
From what I have seen in EE, the midterm percentage will be moved to the final exam when you use the MSAF.

For example, the midterm is worth 15% and the final exam is worth 55% and decided to MSAF it. The final exam is now worth 80%. So pretty much, if you fail the exam. You fail the course.

In most cases, the exam is never easy... like 3EJ4. The midterms pretty much works in your favor if you study your ass off for it.
I wasn't really looking for a rundown of what a defer is...

The issue at hand is classes (in Commerce particularly) are non-cumulative. So there will be a midterm, worth 35%, and a final worth 35%. Each with equal chapters. Now you can just never go to class the first half of the term, defer the first midterm. Then focus double on the 2nd half of the term and get a better mark. I know so many people that do this. Stagger their classes so 2 classes become 2 half classes. Strategic bullshit. It works, people aren't bombing these exams... They're practically just a 2nd midterm.

The real advantage in this is it clears up your week so you don't have back to back midterms, etc. So time management is non existent. It becomes defer management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Never used MSAF for a test, don't plan to.
Its not about us using them. Its about the benefits people are accumulating by deferring.
Also, if you read my post you would realize I said the MSAF was pretty fair where it is now. The issue at hand is you can doctor note 5 more a term, even final exams, with very little hassle.

macsci likes this.
Old 02-11-2012 at 11:44 AM   #7
NahLeoNah
Account Locked

Liked: 2 Times

Makes sense, why would you write an assessment you do not have to? I know a lot of people who do this, their GPAs are just as competitive as mine. Commerce, too. Do what works, lol. if you cannot manage your time well in an environment as forgiving as undergrad, maybe you will get slammed at your job. Maybe not, too.

Stop crying.

Edit: You're also [person] who deferred all of his exams last semester, this is ironic and extremely hypocritical.

Last edited by jhan523 : 02-11-2012 at 01:14 PM.

...?! likes this.
Old 02-11-2012 at 11:45 AM   #8
NahLeoNah
Account Locked

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
I really dont care about the msaf. 9/10 times they bomb the exam. The test banks is what I have an issue with. I spent 60+ hours studying for 3 midterms and this dude I know is like. ye i just memorized the answers from the test bank.
What class is that?
Old 02-11-2012 at 11:52 AM   #9
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:

Or oral midterm, which imo will be harder than the midterm itself.
Old 02-11-2012 at 12:21 PM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:

Not in all cases, actually in most cases, people who deferred wrote a "deferred midterm" a few weeks later.
Old 02-11-2012 at 02:15 PM   #11
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

msaf = strategic studying

Old 02-11-2012 at 02:25 PM   #12
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

As someone who's used the MSAF, you should do something about it. Until that they, I don't really care what your opinion on the issue is
Old 02-11-2012 at 02:48 PM   #13
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFett View Post
I wasn't really looking for a rundown of what a defer is...

The issue at hand is classes (in Commerce particularly) are non-cumulative. So there will be a midterm, worth 35%, and a final worth 35%. Each with equal chapters. Now you can just never go to class the first half of the term, defer the first midterm. Then focus double on the 2nd half of the term and get a better mark. I know so many people that do this. Stagger their classes so 2 classes become 2 half classes. Strategic bullshit. It works, people aren't bombing these exams... They're practically just a 2nd midterm.

The real advantage in this is it clears up your week so you don't have back to back midterms, etc. So time management is non existent. It becomes defer management.

Its not about us using them. Its about the benefits people are accumulating by deferring.
Also, if you read my post you would realize I said the MSAF was pretty fair where it is now. The issue at hand is you can doctor note 5 more a term, even final exams, with very little hassle.

Well if test are non cumalative, then its unfair . and test banks, what!?!?!?

I can speak from a sense of engineering that deferring text just screw you over. You HAVE to know the beginning matireal to understand later matireal. Theres no memorizing persay that we do in the majoirty of classes. you have to be able to solve the problems.
Old 02-11-2012 at 03:56 PM   #14
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
It takes you 60 hours to study for 3 midterms? Lol...
Is that studying or "studying"? Just having a book in front of you for 8 hours but only accomplishing 20 minutes of work isn't really studying.

I find it hard to believe that you could attend every class, do all your homework throughout the term, make sure you understand all the concepts as they come along, and STILL require 20 hours of studying for a 50 minute midterm or something like that.

EDIT: Also if there is a test bank and it's readily accessible (not sure if it is or not for the class you're talking about), why not just study some, and then use the test bank for the rest? Either the test bank is so rare that only a few students have it and it's not really a big issue, or it's common enough that you could have gotten your hands on it too.
Old 02-11-2012 at 04:13 PM   #15
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
It takes you 60 hours to study for 3 midterms? Lol...
Is that studying or "studying"? Just having a book in front of you for 8 hours but only accomplishing 20 minutes of work isn't really studying.

I find it hard to believe that you could attend every class, do all your homework throughout the term, make sure you understand all the concepts as they come along, and STILL require 20 hours of studying for a 50 minute midterm or something like that.

EDIT: Also if there is a test bank and it's readily accessible (not sure if it is or not for the class you're talking about), why not just study some, and then use the test bank for the rest? Either the test bank is so rare that only a few students have it and it's not really a big issue, or it's common enough that you could have gotten your hands on it too.
How would you like me to respond to this? My mid terms are all worth 50%, each consists of 10 chapters each. I cant afford to get less than 90% on each, Provost is my goal and I will achieve it. The test banks are bought from external sources. I have earned every grade fairly without the need of test banks. I dont intend on changing anytime soon.

anonanon987 likes this.