Double Degrees njd123 General Discussion 7 09-12-2009 02:18 PM
best undergrad degrees by pay lorend Academics 40 09-10-2009 06:36 PM
Multiple Degrees Goce Academics 9 07-11-2009 09:04 PM

degrees

Old 07-12-2010 at 04:26 PM   #1
angelrocks24

Liked: 0 Times

degrees
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to introduce myself on here haha, so I will anyways. My name's Lindsey and i'm going into my first year in the fall. I'm taking social sciences. But what I was wondering is what's the difference between a Bachelor's and a Master's (in the long run).
Old 07-12-2010 at 04:27 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelrocks24 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to introduce myself on here haha, so I will anyways. My name's Lindsey and i'm going into my first year in the fall. I'm taking social sciences. But what I was wondering is what's the difference between a Bachelor's and a Master's (in the long run).
Bachelors is your undergraduate degree while master is your graduate degree.
Old 07-12-2010 at 04:33 PM   #3
angelrocks24

I know that much, but within like.. Psychology, because that's the program I plan on going into. What's the difference in the long run, I guess i'm asking about the difference in job oppourtunities within pyschology.. lol. I'm sorry if this is confusing :(
Old 07-12-2010 at 04:36 PM   #4
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
I know that much, but within like.. Psychology, because that's the program I plan on going into. What's the difference in the long run, I guess i'm asking about the difference in job oppourtunities within pyschology.. lol. I'm sorry if this is confusing :(
Having a Masters in psychology would allow you to become a psychologist. Most careers in clinical psychology require a masters Degree in Psychology. Refer to this(http://www.psychwww.com/careers/masters.htm) for more information.
Old 07-12-2010 at 04:40 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

You can also go talk to Careers & Co-Op Services or an Academic Counselor (The rooms are right next to each other in the BSB lobby).
Old 07-12-2010 at 04:49 PM   #6
angelrocks24

I was just at Mac today. It's so confusing lol. But yea i checked out that link and I definitely want to go into Counseling Pyschology. Would that be my Master's
Old 07-12-2010 at 06:49 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I should mention that the competition for Master's programs is increasing steadily each year (more people going to university + more people thinking it will help them get a job in general). If you don't have the grades for it when you apply (B+ minimum in your final two years), you're way better off to wait a few years, work in a related field, and then apply after. You have a much better chance of getting in, as well as the opportunity to eliminate a lot of the student debt you'll accrue.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 07-12-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2010 at 07:38 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I always thought you needed a PhD to work as a clinical psychologist? Or is that for psychiatrist?
Old 07-12-2010 at 07:50 PM   #9
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I always thought you needed a PhD to work as a clinical psychologist? Or is that for psychiatrist?
PhD = clinical psychologist, can diagnose but not prescribe. Most of the therapy is through behavioural means like CBT.

MD = psychiatrist, can prescribe although more are integrating behavioural aspects in addition to meds.

lorend says thanks to Lois for this post.

feonateresa likes this.
Old 07-13-2010 at 03:28 PM   #10
angelrocks24

I want to be a Counseling Pyschologist. I don't want to be able to prescribe meds because that'd basically be a pyschiatrist. I definitely DO NOT want to be a clinical pyschologist.. My trouble here is, I don't know whether or not to take Biology and Math for the psychology program, so I can get into the 1XX3 course 2nd term. If i want to be a counseling pyschologist, I THINK i don't need these courses. But i'm unsure...
Old 07-13-2010 at 03:37 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I want to be a Counseling Pyschologist. I don't want to be able to prescribe meds because that'd basically be a pyschiatrist. I definitely DO NOT want to be a clinical pyschologist.. My trouble here is, I don't know whether or not to take Biology and Math for the psychology program, so I can get into the 1XX3 course 2nd term. If i want to be a counseling pyschologist, I THINK i don't need these courses. But i'm unsure...
Your best bet would be to talk to an academic counselor to help you plan out your academic career. They are really helpful with that because most of the time they have already counseled students that want to get into the same programs.
Old 07-13-2010 at 05:06 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Counseling psychologists just need a 4 year undergrad in Psych + MA/MSc in Psychology. There are also special counseling courses that you can get through a BEd. You should definitely take Psych 1XX3, it's a prereq for many upper year psychology courses.

Are you just interested in psychology? Social Work is also really good if you want to go into counseling ... the job prospects might be a bit better too.

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/psy...ounselling.pdf

Old 07-14-2010 at 03:16 PM   #13
angelrocks24

ALSO. After I've been on MUGSI for my 45 minutes, how long do I have to wait to go back onto it again?
Old 07-14-2010 at 07:29 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
ALSO. After I've been on MUGSI for my 45 minutes, how long do I have to wait to go back onto it again?
You can log out (exit gateway) and log back in immediately.