Campus Dentist TLulu General Discussion 7 01-06-2010 04:48 PM
Campus Dentist lawleypop General Discussion 15 09-26-2009 12:24 AM
Dentist on Campus? Allan General Discussion 11 04-08-2009 10:18 PM

Dentist

Old 09-28-2013 at 09:00 PM   #1
J.Clouseau

Liked: 1 Time

Dentist
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right section but I'm wondering if I can still become a dentist if I have no interest in research. Do dentists needa do research and everything? Thanks!
Old 09-28-2013 at 09:02 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Define research.. do you mean once you open your own practise? Or while in school.
Old 09-28-2013 at 09:05 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Define research.. do you mean once you open your own practise? Or while in school.
I think the OP is asking if you're required to do some academic research of some sort while pursuing dentistry in school.
Old 09-28-2013 at 09:38 PM   #4
J.Clouseau

Liked: 1 Time

Sorry for being unclear. Yeah what herBs said, basically do I needa do research while pursuing dentistry in school.
Old 09-28-2013 at 09:41 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Clouseau View Post
Sorry for being unclear. Yeah what herBs said, basically do I needa do research while pursuing dentistry in school.
I haven't looked into it at all, but I'm assuming you would have to do some sort of research. Not anything too intense but you will have to write papers on various topics pertaining to dentistry which involves a ton of research.
Old 09-28-2013 at 09:45 PM   #6
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

From my understanding, I think research experience is more important is you are planning to apply for medicine. For dentistry, you should just focus on attaining a high GPA, while doing well on the DAT.
Old 09-28-2013 at 11:02 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Ok Jacques, I think I better understand your question.

While I don't know specifics, in order to become a Dentist you need to go to a dentistry school after Mac - and you'll have to take the DAT test (Dental Aptitude Test) and get a good score on it.

The admission requirements to the different dental schools in Canada vary, so you'll have to look into them to see what they require... my guess is that most will be looking at your university average and the DAT test score... but not necessarily at the 'research' you did. But you'll have to check out their admission requirements separately to see what they need.

---

Here's a quote off the Canadian Dental Association website:

http://www.cda-adc.ca/en/dental_prof...ring/index.asp

Quote:
Pre-admission Requirements

There are certain basic pre-dental education courses (maths and sciences) that must be completed before enrolment in dental school. However, advanced biology and physics are typically not required. Since these requirements vary from school to school, it is essential that you contact the appropriate school(s) to determine specific admission requirements.

One simple way to obtain this information is to visit dental school Web sites to obtain a list of course requirements. Access a list of Canadian dental schools.

You should know that one admission requirement for all Canadian dental schools are the submission of Dental Aptitude Test (DAT) scores. The DAT is administered by the Canadian Dental Association (DAT) to evaluate general academic ability, comprehension of scientific information, two- and three-dimensional visual perception and manual dexterity. Learn more about the DAT.

While all Canadian dental schools require applicants to submit DAT scores as part of the admission process, the test results are only one factor considered in evaluating the admission potential of an applicant.

It's important to note that registration for the DAT is not an application to dental school. To complete an application for entry to a dental school, contact the school(s) of your choice directly and return the completed application according to the instructions given by the school(s) you are applying to.
Here is the list of Canadian Dental Schools
http://www.cda-adc.ca/en/dental_prof...ls/default.asp
Old 10-21-2013 at 08:19 PM   #8
APP_ Adrian

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Clouseau View Post
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right section but I'm wondering if I can still become a dentist if I have no interest in research. Do dentists needa do research and everything? Thanks!
If you hate bench research, don't major in science. Just take the pre dental requirements and it will be kay
Old 10-21-2013 at 08:54 PM   #9
ta2012

Liked: 36 Times

Nope.
Although you have to do a little bit of research in some of your upper year courses, in general, you do not need it much.
But like what Adrian said, if you hate research, the chances are that you will hate science at some point for sure.
Everything you learn about in Science (bio, chem, psych at least) comes from research, so you have to be familiar with their research methods, etc. in order to be familiar with the concepts taught in science.

That being said, one of my acquaintances got into a dental school after getting her degree in Music. So what you major in doesn't have to be Science as long as you take all the requirements.
Old 12-05-2013 at 02:41 PM   #10
EvgeniMalkin

Liked: 6 Times

Is it true, that by majoring in anything in the social sciences, the arts, the humanities or business, can allow you to enter dentistry or another health related ...school?