MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting Data zeChinaman General Discussion 14 04-12-2010 04:22 PM
Some rather Interesting websites! :0 huzaifa47 General Discussion 4 08-26-2009 09:21 PM
McMaster Fun Facts Victor K General Discussion 42 07-08-2009 11:52 PM
Interesting Videos.... lorend General Discussion 7 03-15-2009 03:57 PM
Interesting video... 'hugs' Chad Computers & Tech 4 10-16-2006 03:18 PM

Did You Know? Interesting Facts!

Old 08-26-2009 at 02:41 PM   #16
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
Well think about it the total population of India is around 1.2 billion and the U.S. population is around 320 million so pretty much India has 4 times the number of people which means a lot more students.
Yeah, I was also thinking about the population difference. However, you need to consider how many children in India can actually afford to go to school. Poverty in India has been an ongoing problem, and as a result, many children can’t afford to go to school. I read an article lat year that showed some figures – India’s poverty rate was 47% in 1980! I’m not sure how credible the article was though. In the U.S., it’s much easier to attend school; therefore, I found it surprising that India had more honour students than the U.S.

I just did some quick research and found that India’s poverty rate is around 27% now. So, with more children going to school, and India’s continuous population rise... it does make sense that there are more honour students in India than the U.S.

Kevin S likes this.
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:47 PM   #17
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
If I remember correctly, the video extrapolates a statistic to make the assumption that India has more honor students than there are American students. Technically, based on quality of life and the amount of funds available to the average Indian student, I would argue that there are more potential honour students in India, not actual honor students.
The video is made in the current context(2008 to be more accurate). So regardless of the modest lifestyle and adequate amount of funds, there are poor/rich but smart indian students that outnumber America's student population. The message of the video is to emphasize the enormous population of India as well as to point out that in that population, there is an extreme amount of Intellingent kids that live in a developing country but outnumber normal kids that live in a developed country. Therefore, the fact is that India HAS more honor students than America has students not potentially.
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:47 PM   #18
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Yeah, I was also thinking about the population difference. However, you need to consider how many children in India can actually afford to go to school. Poverty in India has been an ongoing problem, and as a result, many children can’t afford to go to school. I read an article lat year that showed some figures – India’s poverty rate was 47% in 1980! I’m not sure how credible the article was though. In the U.S., it’s much easier to attend school; therefore, I found it surprising that India had more honour students than the U.S.

I just did some quick research and found that India’s poverty rate is around 27% now. So, with more children going to school, and India’s continuous population rise... it does make sense that there are more honour students in India than the U.S.
Yes and you have to remember its not as expensive to go to school in India (not in all cases). And in the U.S. we know how expensive it is to go to college.

Old 08-26-2009 at 02:49 PM   #19
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The Yuan is a value of the Renminbi currency (I think). Yeah, the US has ridiculous debt. I don't think they will EVER pay it off.

There were talks of the world currency changing, not sure where that led to though.
Well there are definitely plans for a North American Union similar to that of the European Union with a common currency called the Amero. Btw this isn't a rare occurrence its happening in Africa and Asia as well. Final goal might be world government headed by world banks.

Old 08-26-2009 at 02:51 PM   #20
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

lol a comment to the video on youtube.. SO true:

LtownsMexi1 (3 days ago) Show Hide
+2
Marked as spam Reply

wow! it really shows that time isn't stopping for anyone and while all the Chinese and Indian kids are getting their knowledge in school and outsmarting us we're over here worried about what Lady Gaga is wearing next or if Chris Brown is going to jail... so sad!
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:52 PM   #21
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Well there are definitely plans for a North American Union similar to that of the European Union with a common currency called the Amero. Btw this isn't a rare occurrence its happening in Africa and Asia as well. Final goal might be world government headed by world banks.
Prove it.

This is just a conspiracy theory as far as I'm concerned. Lots of talk and no walk.
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:53 PM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Wow, awesome video!
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:54 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
lol a comment to the video on youtube.. SO true:

LtownsMexi1 (3 days ago) Show Hide
+2
Marked as spam Reply

wow! it really shows that time isn't stopping for anyone and while all the Chinese and Indian kids are getting their knowledge in school and outsmarting us we're over here worried about what Lady Gaga is wearing next or if Chris Brown is going to jail... so sad!
Haha, wow. Soooooo true!
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:57 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Ugh, I heard about that. I really hope it doesn't happen.
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:01 PM   #25
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Ugh, I heard about that. I really hope it doesn't happen.
It probably won't happen. There's no evidence for it, and if there was a conspiracy to form a "North American Union", there would probably be more evidence leaking out about it.

I think that if there was a genuine movement towards a NAU, the governments involved would be open about it... it certainly would be political suicide in Canada and the US.
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:12 PM   #26
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
It probably won't happen. There's no evidence for it, and if there was a conspiracy to form a "North American Union", there would probably be more evidence leaking out about it.

I think that if there was a genuine movement towards a NAU, the governments involved would be open about it... it certainly would be political suicide in Canada and the US.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/162700...eri ca_union/

There is evidence and I'm not completely convinced myself. But it does make sense if you know anything about politics and economics. Do you want to tell me why the american currency is privatized to the Federal Reserve which is owned by international bankers and each dollar printed for the government they owe the Federal Reserve (which again is a private bank) that money WITH INTEREST. Also there has been many links to international banking and wars. In fact it has been said the rise of Germany before WWII was impossible without the help of financial aid from international banks. Now imagine the debt owed to them after wars. It makes sense.

Old 08-26-2009 at 03:15 PM   #27
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:

There is evidence and I'm not completely convinced myself. But it does make sense if you know anything about politics and economics. Do you want to tell me why the american currency is privatized to the Federal Reserve which is owned by international bankers and each dollar printed for the government they owe the Federal Reserve (which again is a private bank) that money WITH INTEREST. Also there has been many links to international banking and wars. In fact it has been said the rise of Germany before WWII was impossible without the help of financial aid from international banks. Now imagine the debt owed to them after wars. It makes sense.
I understand you don't know me, but I know quite a bit about politics, and I'm on top of current events (reading more than 20+ news sites daily + 10 different newspapers)

I've seen the conspiracy movies (looks like you enjoyed Zeitgeist) and read the websites too. There's no evidence that stands up to real scrutiny.
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:21 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

I think interest is a way in order to get back the money faster. The faster you pay back the money the less you will have to pay. It makes sense because if I borrow 5$ from you today and there were no interest, I would wait until I died to pay back the 5$.

But in the case of the US, they are trillions of dollars in debt. I don't think it even matters anymore.
Old 08-26-2009 at 03:21 PM   #29
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
I understand you don't know me, but I know quite a bit about politics, and I'm on top of current events (reading more than 20+ news sites daily + 10 different newspapers)

I've seen the conspiracy movies (looks like you enjoyed Zeitgeist) and read the websites too. There's no evidence that stands up to real scrutiny.
I did watch it, but that doesn't mean I agreed with it and there is evidence. And like I said it might not be as bad as some claim, however the evidence is clearly there to see.

Old 08-26-2009 at 03:23 PM   #30
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
I think interest is a way in order to get back the money faster. The faster you pay back the money the less you will have to pay. It makes sense because if I borrow 5$ from you today and there were no interest, I would wait until I died to pay back the 5$.

But in the case of the US, they are trillions of dollars in debt. I don't think it even matters anymore.
The point is that the U.S. is getting a private bank to print their own money for them. At interest. Which means they are basically paying extra money for someone to print money for them? Its ludicrous. We do not have that in Canada thank God.