MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in Business rpg51 Academics 9 06-03-2012 10:37 PM
Business or Econ Minor? chi0 Academics 6 02-23-2012 12:54 PM
Minor in business mfattal General Discussion 8 01-18-2012 12:27 AM
Engineering + Business Minor ritsma First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2010 01:45 PM
Business students' minor? xhorizon General Discussion 11 11-25-2009 12:32 AM

Different between Eng and Management VS Eng and Minor in Business?

Old 11-09-2012 at 01:31 PM   #1
Unregistered

Different between Eng and Management VS Eng and Minor in Business?
Isn't it the same thing? In relative to other offering from other Universities. Employers will see it as a minor in business right?
Old 11-09-2012 at 02:00 PM   #2
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

They are not the same...
(Though I don't exactly know their difference, let someone in Mgt answer it)

I heard with a B.Eng.Mgt degree you can accelerate in McMaster's MBA program. (Someone confirm it too)
Old 11-09-2012 at 02:06 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Minor in business doesn't quite cover all the requirements (some courses you don't take). Minor in business also "isn't guaranteed" since that title is only added to your degree if you are the first x people to hand in your graduation card requesting minor in business since thery only have certain number of minors/ year

jim1, RyanC like this.
Old 11-09-2012 at 02:06 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Eng + Management trumps Eng + business minor.
Also, the management program has been around for decades, so employers should be relatively familiar with what it is.
Old 11-09-2012 at 02:33 PM   #5
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Eng + Management trumps Eng + business minor.
Also, the management program has been around for decades, so employers should be relatively familiar with what it is.
Relative to the employers who were around when the program first started, sure. But it's still a fairly unique program and tough to explain to the majority of employers who are unfamiliar with it in the span of a 30-minute interview.

In reality, being in Management is much more time-consuming than just getting a minor in Business, but OP is somewhat correct in that employers will just see it as a glorified business minor.

Mikefung is also right; you can do an accelerated (1-year) MBA after an Eng and Management degree.

Source: Rejected from Eng and Management, accepted into Society. Best bad news I've ever gotten based on what I've seen of the world of Management. I've also already completed all the courses I need for my minor in Business.
Old 11-09-2012 at 03:19 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

FYI about accelerated MBA. You need a competitive average to qualify. At least a 7-8
Old 11-09-2012 at 08:51 PM   #7
Unregistered

So if you are in the management program and end up having a low average then you cannot even get a MBA out of it then?
Old 11-09-2012 at 09:50 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

I don't think so because it is a competitive degree.
Old 11-09-2012 at 10:26 PM   #9
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So if you are in the management program and end up having a low average then you cannot even get a MBA out of it then?
Yes, mba is a masters program and most graduate programs require a high average in your undergraduate program.
Old 11-09-2012 at 10:27 PM   #10
Unregistered

Better choice seems to be doing a 4 year eng, then take 1 year to do the MBA requirement and then do the MBA in one year then?
Old 11-09-2012 at 11:27 PM   #11
Unregistered

No, I do not think that is how it work. To get into the Accelerated Program MBA, you NEED an Undergraduate Degree in Business OR Engineering and Management. Just taking one year worth of courses will NOT allow you to enter the Accelerated Program MBA.

For the normal 20 months MBA, you need 1 year of professional experience. Which means, you will complete your Engineering Degree, work and earned the experience, then apply for the full time MBA. In the end, you will need to do additional 2 years to obtain the MBA.

A lot of questions can be answered by going to the respective faculty webpage. Please do your research before posting.
Old 11-10-2012 at 01:12 AM   #12
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

The other thing was that I wanted to do an MBA when I started Management, but at this point I lost all interest in it since I don't think it will help me a whole lot more and between being more competitive and a lot more expensive, I am not going to bother.

You don't know how you will feel after a couple more years, so just decide what you want to do now and then see if you want grad school later
Old 11-10-2012 at 08:48 AM   #13
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

So after completing an Eng+ Mgmt degree, can you only do the accelerated 1-year MBA at McMaster, or does it apply to any university?
Old 11-10-2012 at 01:01 PM   #14
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
So after completing an Eng+ Mgmt degree, can you only do the accelerated 1-year MBA at McMaster, or does it apply to any university?
I think Western has a similar program so you may be able to do it there as well, but not 100% sure if that is true.
Old 11-11-2012 at 02:22 PM   #15
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

I found from the McMaster Eng and Mgmt website it says:

Quote:
The 15 Commerce and Economics courses included in the Engineering and Management Program are deemed equivalent to first year MBA courses by a number of very good universities which will therefore give advanced standing in their MBA programs. An ACCELERATED MBA which can be completed in 8 months (full-time) is offered by McMaster’s DeGroote School of Business to graduates of the Engineering and Management Program who qualify.
So looks like the Accelerated MBA would only be offered at McMaster. Any other university (which aren't even listed) would only give an 'advanced standing', whatever that means.