MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-15-2009 at 01:15 AM   #31
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ.MVP View Post
Neill Blomkamp (the director) is a superstar in the making. Peter jacksons is already up there as well. These guys are gonna be legends in time.
1 Feature film is a little early to be calling someone a legend and outside of King Kong and LOTR, Peter Jackson has been pretty hit/miss.
Old 08-15-2009 at 01:21 AM   #32
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
1 Feature film is a little early to be calling someone a legend and outside of King Kong and LOTR, Peter Jackson has been pretty hit/miss.
I wouldn't call King Kong great :p.
Old 08-15-2009 at 02:09 AM   #33
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Just saw it, pretty damn awesome. Didn't really see the ending coming at all, and after seeing shitty movies after shitty movies (re: wolverine + terminator) have a movie deliver is super satisfying :o
I thought you said you disliked it when we left the movie theater?!

The movie was EXTREMELY over hyped.
In my honest opinion, it's worth seeing at the least but there are too many flaws (and even a couple plot holes). The ending kind of had me sitting there wishing otherwise. It wasn't bad, but it felt like things were left unanswered(once again, plot holes).

The action on the other hand, was pretty kick ass. The alien weaponry was sick; the mech alone was something you could drool over.
Old 08-15-2009 at 02:16 AM   #34
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

And Protip;
District 9 is not directed by Peter Jackson (unlike LotR and Kong). He is a producer in D9, and Neill Blomkamp directed so to be fair, we can't say Peter is hit/miss and be inclusive of this movie because it's not in his hands.

In case you are interested, Neill was inline for the Halo Movie that was supposed to be in production some time ago, but that whole quarrel with Microsoft left it in shambles.

Last edited by RoyK : 08-15-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2009 at 04:18 AM   #35
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
In my honest opinion, it's worth seeing at the least but there are too many flaws (and even a couple plot holes). The ending kind of had me sitting there wishing otherwise. It wasn't bad, but it felt like things were left unanswered(once again, plot holes).
...explain.
Old 08-15-2009 at 10:48 AM   #36
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

its pretty awesome! I for one loved it. Special effects were sooo good.
Old 08-15-2009 at 11:52 AM   #37
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Just saw it last night too! Amazing!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I can't believe with only $30mil they pulled it off. The cinematography, CGI, acting and plot were all superb. Most importantly to me, I fell in love with characters by the end of the movie. I had no idea what to expect with this either.

WAAAAY better than Wolverine, Transformers 2 and Terminator.

District 9 had much deeper meanings in it such as the irony that it took place in South Africa and the aliens acting as a metaphor for people that currently live in those conditions - it was especially touching when the little guy said to Wikus,"look, we are the same".

If there is a sequal, I can't wait for "District 10."

Last edited by jachill : 08-15-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2009 at 12:13 PM   #38
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Looks interesting. Reminded me a bit of transformers
Old 08-15-2009 at 12:27 PM   #39
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I thought it was decent. The metaphor for Apartheid was pretty inconsistent but the director surely has a talent for blowing stuff up.
Old 08-15-2009 at 03:59 PM   #40
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Looks interesting. Reminded me a bit of transformers
Ya, the aliens kind of looked like Bumblebee, lol.
Old 08-15-2009 at 04:17 PM   #41
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
I thought you said you disliked it when we left the movie theater?!

The movie was EXTREMELY over hyped.

The action on the other hand, was pretty kick ass. The alien weaponry was sick; the mech alone was something you could drool over.
Hey now, I didn't say overhyped, I liked it alot, just found a lot of things that didn't make any damn sense, but its hollywood. Cant help it.
Old 08-15-2009 at 05:33 PM   #42
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

What did you find didn't make sense?
Old 08-15-2009 at 11:27 PM   #43
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Well I watched it and enjoyed it. The movie is getting far too much hype from critics (more because it's a gem in a summer of absolutely horrible movies than actual quality) but the movie's execution is damn good.

Knowing Hollywood in recent years; we're likely to see two or three more District 9 movies (most if not all of which will likely be inferior to this one). I'd personally let it die with an ending open for discussion rather than ruin it with crappy sequels (unlike the Matrix Trilogy) but we all know that's not going to happen.

Anyway, what did people find wrong with the movie, I'd like to hear any perceived flaws.
Old 08-16-2009 at 12:17 AM   #44
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Knowing Hollywood in recent years; we're likely to see two or three more District 9 movies (most if not all of which will likely be inferior to this one). I'd personally let it die with an ending open for discussion rather than ruin it with crappy sequels...
Exactly what I was thinking. I was reading on IMDB, and unfortunately a lot of people really want to see a "District 10". I like how it ended and don't think it should be continued.

Quote:
Anyway, what did people find wrong with the movie, I'd like to hear any perceived flaws.
So would I. I want to know what these perceived plot holes are that some people are talking about.
Old 08-16-2009 at 12:29 AM   #45
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Just saw it. Not impressed. I don't like when movies are advertised as different than what they are. The previews made it out to be a kick ass, alien, Transformer-type-machines, summer blockbuster. It was a sad story with a whole lot of unnecessary gore.

I'm upset. I was really, really looking forward to this one..