MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-17-2009 at 11:26 AM   #61
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
I could see why you found the trailer misleading. However, I don't see why you would be suprised it was a 'gore fest'. Aren't sci-fi, action movies usually gore fests? (ex. Predator and Alien). Not to mention it was rated R for 'bloody violence' so there's no reason to doubt it would be violent and gory.
I knew it was rated R and I read reviews before hand, because I wanted to know what I was getting into. It's hard to feel out that kind of thing though. One gory scene can get a movie an R rating, and the reviews that I read said there was minimal blood and guts (compared to movies like Saw and Hostel, it was minimal - but still too much for me).

**Spoilers below..

It was also too sad. Way too sad. I know the story behind the film - and it's incredibly depressing. But everything else in the movie was sad as well. I cried my eyes out at the last scene. I don't like walking out of the theatre crying because the last shot in the movie is the saddest part, you know?

I honestly would have loved the movie, and seen it two or three times, if it wasn't so gory. I just hate misleading trailers. I've had this happen to me before it's really frustrating.

Last edited by HeatherH : 08-17-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2009 at 11:50 AM   #62
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I knew it was rated R and I read reviews before hand, because I wanted to know what I was getting into. It's hard to feel out that kind of thing though. One gory scene can get a movie an R rating, and the reviews that I read said there was minimal blood and guts (compared to movies like Saw and Hostel, it was minimal - but still too much for me).

**Spoilers below..

It was also too sad. Way too sad. I know the story behind the film - and it's incredibly depressing. But everything else in the movie was sad as well. I cried my eyes out at the last scene. I don't like walking out of the theatre crying because the last shot in the movie is the saddest part, you know?

I honestly would have loved the movie, and seen it two or three times, if it wasn't so gory. I just hate misleading trailers. I've had this happen to me before it's really frustrating.
Don't mean to be rude, but I laughed really hard at this.
Old 08-17-2009 at 12:43 PM   #63
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Don't mean to be rude, but I laughed really hard at this.
Because it was so funny?
Old 08-19-2009 at 01:56 PM   #64
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I watched the movie yesterday. I thought the beginning was kind of slow, but it was so awesome for the rest. I would definitively rate it 8-9 out of 10.
Old 08-19-2009 at 02:00 PM   #65
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
Because it was so funny?
Your reasons for disliking the movie are rather out of the ordinary. Usually someone will say they dislike a movie because of crappy acting, shaky camera, no plot, etc. It seems odd that you said you disliked the movie because it made you feel sad; most people would like a movie for causing them emotional response, lol. That's why your post was funny.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 08-19-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2009 at 02:13 PM   #66
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I agree with Jeremy, the beginning was really slow, especially after seeing the trailer. But by the end, it was definitely beyond awesome!
Old 08-19-2009 at 02:18 PM   #67
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I watched the movie yesterday. I thought the beginning was kind of slow, but it was so awesome for the rest. I would definitively rate it 8-9 out of 10.
The begining was the best part!

I'm not going to lie though, I really hated the scene where the prawns rip the main bad guy apart.
We're supposed to look at the prawns sympathetically as analogs for Blacks during Apartheid, but then they add in such a grotesque tasteless scene.

Last edited by Fight0 : 08-19-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2009 at 02:38 PM   #68
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
The begining was the best part!
reading comments like "the beginning was boring" makes me realise we're going to end up with many more transformers 2 calibur movies in the coming years :(
Old 08-19-2009 at 02:41 PM   #69
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
reading comments like "the beginning was boring" makes me realise we're going to end up with many more transformers 2 calibur movies in the coming years :(
Ya, lol, that's what I was thinking when reading the comments too. If the movie hadn't had the epic battle scene... I don't think as many people would have liked it. The beginning was the thinking part guys!
Old 08-19-2009 at 02:43 PM   #70
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

After seeing the trailer, you don't really expect the beginning to be slow. It's not exactly a bad thing though, if a movie was all action for the duration of 2+ hours, it would be pretty boring too XD
Old 08-19-2009 at 02:44 PM   #71
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Ya, lol, that's what I was thinking when reading the comments too. If the movie hadn't had the epic battle scene... I don't think as many people would have liked it. The beginning was the thinking part guys!
I thought the beginning was more of an intro. It seemed like they had to put the intro there in order to explain the ship, aliens and district nine. I thought the way the beginning was made was somewhat equal to a 'Hello, my name is... I go to..." before a presentation. That's my opinion anyways.
Old 08-19-2009 at 02:54 PM   #72
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Agreed. It wasn't "bad" but it went on for a bit :S
Old 08-19-2009 at 03:55 PM   #73
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

lol I liked the main character a lot - fock man! fock!

It was damn good movie than any other this year..
Old 08-19-2009 at 04:05 PM   #74
dukeb

Liked: 7 Times

I thought what was sad about the movie was that the whole thing was a completely plausible situation, given the event that peaceful aliens landed on Earth. As it is now, huge corporations and the governments influenced by them make decisions based on what is most profitable for the elites controlling those corporations. Human well-being isn't even a concern, so I'd guess that the well-being of some alien species would be of much less concern. And a very important part of the U.S. economy is now, and has been historically, defense contracts and private military contracts.

Actually, aliens landing might be a great excuse for the U.S. to put militarization of the whole country into overdrive. That didn't happen in the movie, but hey there's room for a sequel right?
Old 08-19-2009 at 07:43 PM   #75
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Finally! A movie with a plot that was NOT given away in the trailer! I liked being surprised by the direction and development of the story for once....what a novelty! (unlike "Wolverine" or "Vantage Point" where the entire plot was revealed in the trailer)

--Spoiler Alert--

I personally thought the aliens could have been more.....alien. They seemed to be exactly like humans, just with a different physique and language. They exhibited common human behaviour (like the relation between the main Prawn and his son) throughout the movie......but perhaps that was the point: make the aliens more human so the audience could feel empathy towards them.

Oh, and that lightning-bolt-exploder gun? SO entertaining. (Gory, yes......but fun)

Two strange plot holes I noticed: 1) why didn't the aliens use their powerful weaponry in the first place to get what they wanted (ie, cat food) as oppose to trading their weapons for the items they needed? 2) why would the alien mothership have a device which would reverse the effects of trans-species mutation if they had never come in contact with humans before?