MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-19-2009 at 08:25 PM   #76
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Watched it last night. Really good movie, worth it for sure. Original story and approach, and best of all, NOT predictable!
Old 08-19-2009 at 08:56 PM   #77
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
--Spoiler Alert--

I personally thought the aliens could have been more.....alien. They seemed to be exactly like humans, just with a different physique and language. They exhibited common human behaviour (like the relation between the main Prawn and his son) throughout the movie......but perhaps that was the point: make the aliens more human so the audience could feel empathy towards them.

Oh, and that lightning-bolt-exploder gun? SO entertaining. (Gory, yes......but fun)

Two strange plot holes I noticed: 1) why didn't the aliens use their powerful weaponry in the first place to get what they wanted (ie, cat food) as oppose to trading their weapons for the items they needed? 2) why would the alien mothership have a device which would reverse the effects of trans-species mutation if they had never come in contact with humans before?
Spoiler Alert

Yeah, I love that alien gun! Loved watching people explode like that

I also want to know why the alien mothership had to "stopover" for several months. Was it because that ship fell from the mothership and couldn't get back up? That would be kind of stupid seeing as how the mothership could have just brought it back up like it did at the end.
Old 08-19-2009 at 09:06 PM   #78
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Two strange plot holes I noticed: 1) why didn't the aliens use their powerful weaponry in the first place to get what they wanted (ie, cat food) as oppose to trading their weapons for the items they needed? 2) why would the alien mothership have a device which would reverse the effects of trans-species mutation if they had never come in contact with humans before?
1) i think it's cause humans saved them from death of starvation and they are a civilized species, rather than just being bloody violent and greedy haha.
3) hmm im not really sure if the device was on the mothership, but i'm assuming that the 3years wasn't simply just for coming back and saving the rest of them, but to develop a way to mutate him back?

and i think the mothership had to stop because it ran out of that "alien fluid" that took 20 years to collect from alien gadgets that were spread around.

just my speculation
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:23 AM   #79
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
1) i think it's cause humans saved them from death of starvation and they are a civilized species, rather than just being bloody violent and greedy haha.
3) hmm im not really sure if the device was on the mothership, but i'm assuming that the 3years wasn't simply just for coming back and saving the rest of them, but to develop a way to mutate him back?

and i think the mothership had to stop because it ran out of that "alien fluid" that took 20 years to collect from alien gadgets that were spread around.

just my speculation
Hm, I suppose that they left most of those details up for speculation mainly because they weren't entirely relevant to the development of the plot......if they make a sequel (which I don't think they have to or should), they would probably explain those details.

Still one of the best movies I've seen all summer.
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:50 PM   #80
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Question... Is there subtitles to what the Aliens are saying?

Because I found it online but there's already subtitles in Greek or something... and the aliens keep conversing with each other, but I have no idea what they're saying, since the subtitles are in Greekish.

So yea. In the non-pirated version, are you supposed to be able to to understand them?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-20-2009 at 04:52 PM   #81
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Question... Is there subtitles to what the Aliens are saying?

Because I found it online but there's already subtitles in Greek or something... and the aliens keep conversing with each other, but I have no idea what they're saying, since the subtitles are in Greekish.

So yea. In the non-pirated version, are you supposed to be able to to understand them?
They have english subtitles. They have subtitles in the language where the movie aired. So the movie you are watching was cammed in Greece.
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:54 PM   #82
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
They have english subtitles. They have subtitles in the language where the movie aired. So the movie you are watching was cammed in Greece.
Damnit. I was like 30 minutes into the thing. Now I have to find me another one. =[

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-21-2009 at 02:02 PM   #83
adias

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:

i think people have answered you, but i'm just going to throw my answer out there...
1) If the aliens had just started killing people I don't think that it would have taken very long for a military response by the humans. Even with their advanced weapons, it seems that they and their technology was quite vulnerable to human weapons and they would not have lasted very long.
2)I guess its possible that it just deals with exposure to that fluid in general.

My question is:
If he took 20 years to collect all that fluid, how could he have still had enough to fly away after Wickers sprayed himself with it? If he had that much extra wouldn't he have just left earlier?
Old 08-21-2009 at 02:39 PM   #84
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Damnit. I was like 30 minutes into the thing. Now I have to find me another one. =[
lol, your probably have the Russian version that's going around. Just go see the movie legit. It deserves moniez.
Old 08-21-2009 at 02:44 PM   #85
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias View Post
My question is:
If he took 20 years to collect all that fluid, how could he have still had enough to fly away after Wickers sprayed himself with it? If he had that much extra wouldn't he have just left earlier?
Well, what I'm thinking is that there was enough fluid in there to get up to the ship, but not enough to do it safely. Maybe they still needed more fluid to power weapons / shields long enough on the smaller ship to get up there safely while still having enough for the mothership thing. It got pretty much destroyed by that missile :p.

I like that they left a lot of stuff unanswered; it forces people to use their imaginations, which is quite uncommon with a lot of movies these days.
Old 08-21-2009 at 07:13 PM   #86
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Well, what I'm thinking is that there was enough fluid in there to get up to the ship, but not enough to do it safely. Maybe they still needed more fluid to power weapons / shields long enough on the smaller ship to get up there safely while still having enough for the mothership thing. It got pretty much destroyed by that missile :p.

I like that they left a lot of stuff unanswered; it forces people to use their imaginations, which is quite uncommon with a lot of movies these days.
I was thinking the same thing ^-^. It's always important to make sure you have slightly more than needed incase of random complications. Plus the powering the shields makes sense. I would expect that ship to have some sort of shields.
Old 08-21-2009 at 08:54 PM   #87
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

Still haven't seen it yet. But I've watched all the trailers and many interviews! Looks amazing! Can't wait to see it. As it was said in the Totally Rad Show (Internet Podcast that reviews movies), "it's this decade's Matrix". Totally pumped to see it!
- Moulton Hall
Old 08-21-2009 at 09:05 PM   #88
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It was definitely worth it! See it, and come back to share your opinion
Old 08-21-2009 at 09:08 PM   #89
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

It was good, but on some level unsatisfying.
Old 08-22-2009 at 12:04 AM   #90
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I wasn't too impressed with it. The movie was well made, especially on the budget they had. The special effects were kickass. Beyond that, I found it to be typical Hollywood fare, in terms of plot. Take an actual event, alter it enough to call it "creative" or "original", and add a love story/dramatic situation. Kinda like The Last King of Scotland, American Gangster, Donnie Brasco, Domino, Rudy, etc...

That's my 2 pennies.