MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-16-2009 at 12:44 AM   #46
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Just got back from it and I thought it was absolutely amazing, probably the best film of the year. Well developed plot, funny and good action. I was expecting a typical alien movie where they take over and humans have to fight for their survival but this was so much better than that.
Old 08-16-2009 at 01:35 AM   #47
kmer

Liked: 1 Time

This movie has a plot! I though it was very well done, it kept me interested and guessing the ENTIRE time
Old 08-16-2009 at 02:04 AM   #48
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
...I don't like when movies are advertised as different than what they are. The previews made it out to be a kick ass, alien, Transformer-type-machines, summer blockbuster...

I'm upset. I was really, really looking forward to this one..
...you were looking forward to another one of the same type of movie we've been getting all summer? 0.o
Old 08-16-2009 at 08:54 AM   #49
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
...you were looking forward to another one of the same type of movie we've been getting all summer? 0.o
That's what I was going to say. lol

I, too, went into the threatre expecting nothing original and a somewhat typical alien movie but with a much lower budget however we were given SO much better. A movie with a plot and a well developed story. This movie proved it's possible that aliens and mindless action/big explosions don't have to go together.
Old 08-16-2009 at 11:24 AM   #50
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Pretty much, because that's what it was advertised as. The trailers made it look like it was about aliens trying to escape their "jail" on Earth and the humans were trying to fight them and keep them in there. There was definately no indication that it was a gore fest.
Old 08-16-2009 at 05:42 PM   #51
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Quote:
Pretty much, because that's what it was advertised as. The trailers made it look like it was about aliens trying to escape their "jail" on Earth and the humans were trying to fight them and keep them in there. There was definately no indication that it was a gore fest.
I could see why you found the trailer misleading. However, I don't see why you would be suprised it was a 'gore fest'. Aren't sci-fi, action movies usually gore fests? (ex. Predator and Alien). Not to mention it was rated R for 'bloody violence' so there's no reason to doubt it would be violent and gory.
Old 08-16-2009 at 06:18 PM   #52
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemistX View Post
Well developed plot, funny and good action.
Funny?? What part was funny? Most of it was pretty black comedy, especially if you consider the apartheid metaphor. I'm not going to lie, it took me a while to pick up on that and I thought it was some kind of joke alien movie.

It actually depressed me a lot. It was an interesting metaphor, really unusual, by I'm still slightly queasy from watching so many people explode.
Old 08-16-2009 at 07:45 PM   #53
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Funny?? What part was funny? Most of it was pretty black comedy, especially if you consider the apartheid metaphor. I'm not going to lie, it took me a while to pick up on that and I thought it was some kind of joke alien movie.
I just thought Wikus, the character was funny, not by way of making jokes but just how he was.
Old 08-16-2009 at 07:49 PM   #54
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Funny?? What part was funny?
I laughed at some of the scenes where the alien weaponry was used against the humans. It was mostly at the fact that it was just so over the top. I think we can thank Blomkamp for that, since he was originally a CGI expert by trade :p.

There were also a few one-liners here and there that were funny, and Wikus' personality. The guy that played him did an awesome job for someone who's never acted before.
Old 08-16-2009 at 08:23 PM   #55
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
The guy that played him did an awesome job for someone who's never acted before.

He'd never acted before? Impressive...
Old 08-16-2009 at 10:25 PM   #56
jachill
Vampire Slayer

I laughed really hard when Wikus was in that crazy Transformerish robot suit and he threw a pig! haha I think he may have thrown several pigs.
Old 08-16-2009 at 11:08 PM   #57
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I heard there were giant crabs in this movie! I'm TOTALLY seeing it now!
Old 08-16-2009 at 11:27 PM   #58
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
I heard there were giant crabs in this movie! I'm TOTALLY seeing it now!
Well, I guess the aliens sort of looked like giant crabs :p.
Old 08-16-2009 at 11:52 PM   #59
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Just saw it. It was more than enough in the robot/alien and destruction categories. Nice that a movie like this actually had a plot TOO. I think this is what brought its fame(its on top, and its a low budget) is the nice balance it strikes between action and plot.
Old 08-17-2009 at 12:12 AM   #60
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Oh, I forgot to add, I really liked the fact that the camera wasn't jumping around insanely during the action shots :p. Transformers was all about blurry action shots.