MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frosh Week! xphat First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 54 09-05-2011 09:00 PM
frosh week MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-05-2011 07:58 PM
Mac FROSH week recos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 09-09-2010 08:47 AM

do most students go home after frosh week?

Old 08-18-2011 at 12:27 PM   #16
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

It's fun walking around the campus when there isn't 3420493204932 people.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 08-18-2011 at 01:19 PM   #17
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
Walk around campus on a weekend as opposed to a week day. I guarantee you'll see maybe two or three people at any hour of the day, instead of 439874985798475987 people.
'Cause people are actually out doing fun things, since it's the weekend. (or assignments, but why do assignments when you can do fun things).

Go explore Cootes, learn to use the bus system, go get groceries and cook something exciting at rez, join clubs, etc. etc. There's no shortage of things to do if you're a little creative.

Even if you don't leave campus, do something fun in rez. We had a Pokemon marathon one Saturday, mostly for the lulz, but it was awesome.

But yeah, I'd encourage you (and anyone else) to stay on campus for a couple weeks, at least. It forces you go get involved (or be bored out of your mind) and make friends, which is something good. At the end of it, you'll be looking forward more to returning to Mac after going home, not vice-versa.

Though, if you need a visit for personal reasons or whatever, depending on how far away you're from, consider getting your parents/family to come up to Mac on the weekend. You can give them a little tour and go for coffee or something. Best of both worlds, no?
Old 08-18-2011 at 01:22 PM   #18
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

I think most people stay on residence and those that do go home its because they forgot to bring stuff during move in or they are so attached to their family that they cant go a month straight without seeing them (i know a couple people that were like that, pre school type of attachment).

Its not a total ghost town on campus but you tend to see people in the afternoon since everyone sleeps in then parties in the night. Remember work load will not be as heavy the 1st couple days and thats why people tend to do this.
You will need to spend money on the bus/train or to fill someones gas tank, so id say if you have nothing important to go home for then just stay adn enjoy campus and its surroundings.
In the end its up to you whether you go home or not.
Old 08-18-2011 at 01:54 PM   #19
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

In first year, I went home for the weekend maybe once a month.
Now its more like once a semester.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 08-18-2011 at 04:38 PM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

In first year, I remember most people went home went home the 3rd weekend (Sept 16-18). Don't go home on the weekend of 9-11, welcome week will still be on and there's the concert on Thursday, bed races on Sunday, etc!
Old 08-18-2011 at 05:00 PM   #21
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Walk around campus on a weekend as opposed to a week day. I guarantee you'll see maybe two or three people at any hour of the day, instead of 439874985798475987 people.
Why would people off-campus and not on residence walk around campus on a weekday. Of course it's empty. It also helps that McMaster is TINY compared to most other schools.

Yes, campus is dead on the weekends because there's NO REASON TO BE ON CAMPUS. What's on campus? Gross Common/Centro food? Check. Gross La Piazza food? Check. Lack of activities? Check.

The students you see walking around on weekdays are all 25,000 (off-campus/commuters included) of us trying to get to classes.
Geez, that was a hard thought process... I'm seriously drained!

To OP: You're gonna be moving in like September 1st or something, do you really need to go home that quickly? Grow up and learn to handle a bit on your own. Like what.

And why does it matter when other people go home...

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 08-18-2011 at 05:04 PM.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 08-18-2011 at 08:13 PM   #22
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinabell View Post
Obviously, people don't go to class. But living in residence, you'll notice very little difference. Everyone who lives there that you're friends with is still there.
It was dead on weekends in Moulton this past year. Everyone lived in Mississauga or Toronto or Oakville or Burlington, so they just went home. Both my roommates went home every weekend.
Old 08-18-2011 at 08:17 PM   #23
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Why would people off-campus and not on residence walk around campus on a weekday. Of course it's empty. It also helps that McMaster is TINY compared to most other schools.

Yes, campus is dead on the weekends because there's NO REASON TO BE ON CAMPUS. What's on campus? Gross Common/Centro food? Check. Gross La Piazza food? Check. Lack of activities? Check.

The students you see walking around on weekdays are all 25,000 (off-campus/commuters included) of us trying to get to classes.
Geez, that was a hard thought process... I'm seriously drained!
My point was to prove to katrinabell that Mac *IS* in fact a ghost town on weekends, because she said it isn't. I realize that it's for all those reasons, and that's my point: it's empty.
Old 08-18-2011 at 08:31 PM   #24
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
It was dead on weekends in Moulton this past year. Everyone lived in Mississauga or Toronto or Oakville or Burlington, so they just went home. Both my roommates went home every weekend.
This was exactly my point, but people in this thread are not too sharp. The majority of Mac students are a 30 minute to hour long commute away, it's far too convenient for people to go home. Even residences are empty during weekends (and this is from a guy that barely went home on weekends.)
Old 08-18-2011 at 08:37 PM   #25
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Only lamers go home every weekend lol. Weekends are when the shennanigans go down; they're the time when you really make your true university friends. The story of when we lost my friend for 18 hours is a timeless tale I will tell for the rest of my life lmao

Old 08-18-2011 at 08:51 PM   #26
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
Only lamers go home every weekend lol. Weekends are when the shennanigans go down; they're the time when you really make your true university friends. The story of when we lost my friend for 18 hours is a timeless tale I will tell for the rest of my life lmao
Oh wow, a real-life Hangover-like tale!
Old 08-18-2011 at 09:19 PM   #27
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

My roommates honestly wanted to start calling morgues, I told them that I think our friend could handle being alone for 14+ hours by himself..
Old 08-18-2011 at 09:23 PM   #28
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
My roommates honestly wanted to start calling morgues, I told them that I think our friend could handle being alone for 14+ hours by himself..
Where did he end up?
Old 08-18-2011 at 09:33 PM   #29
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

My parents could care less for me so I guess If i was in rez I wouldn't go see them, but that is just me.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Last edited by L'Étoile : 08-18-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2011 at 09:40 PM   #30
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
My point was to prove to katrinabell that Mac *IS* in fact a ghost town on weekends, because she said it isn't. I realize that it's for all those reasons, and that's my point: it's empty.
But why does it matter if the McMaster campus is a ghost town. That's not where you're at on a weekend. You're out on patios in Hess, you're hiking through Cootes, you're running the stairs, you're smoking Hookah, etc.

Ugh, WHY do people need to go home so early and so frequently? There's so much to do, Hamilton is GREAT. Like if after Frosh Week you WANT to go home, you're doing something wrong. [not directed at you specifically, btw ]

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.