MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MACMSA's FROSH WEEK! ! ! khattagh Clubs & Groups 4 09-07-2010 12:21 AM
Possible Frosh Week Bands? Shmowen Music 59 08-18-2010 04:14 PM
Frosh week Parties Katia General Discussion 2 09-06-2009 10:12 PM
alcohol during frosh week starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 60 09-03-2009 08:37 PM
Frosh Week partying? Locke CLOSED: Dating & Relationships 6 07-29-2008 06:27 PM

Mac FROSH week

Old 09-08-2010 at 12:13 PM   #1
recos

Liked: 1 Time

Mac FROSH week
So I went to Mac's FROSH week yesterday, which by the way, was amazing. I never knew there were so many social sci students!

I talked to a lot of kids in my program, which was great; but the bottom line was, I didn't really make a lot of friends at FROSH week, and some upper years have told me that the people you meet at welcome week are likely to be your friends in the next four years of uni or so. But...I haven't really MADE friends at FROSH week yet, and I'm starting to think that once classes start, it'll be kind of a challenge to meet people, since others have gotten acquainted to each other already :(

And I totally missed Clubfest, which was probably a good place to go to to join clubs + meet other interested first years T___T;; (i'm a SOC)

my question is: if you don't make friends at FROSH week, is it still easy to make friends during classes? I know that might be a dumb question, but I'm just so nervous D:
Old 09-08-2010 at 12:22 PM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

According to the clock up there, you've still got like 8 minutes left before Clubsfest ends! Quick, run!

But when you're done, Lawleypop and I are in Hamilton Hall not doing anything. We're not in first year, but ideally more people will show up since I don't have anything to do 'til 6:00 or so.
Old 09-08-2010 at 12:23 PM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I had the same experience. I went to every event during Frosh week and tried my hardest to participate and hung out with people in my residence and stuff but I didn't make a lot of friends during Welcome Week. I think I can say I only made 1 real friend that I kept in contact with during WW.

That said I made friends during classes, tutorials especially. Forced group work was a good way to make friends, especially in first year during the beginning of classes. Everyone is new to the whole University experience and even if they met people in their residence they might not know a lot of people in every single class they have. Class sizes are large so when they break you down into smaller groups its easier to make connections with people.

I've made most of my friends in my classes, in my program, not during Welcome Week activities even though they were super fun.

You just have to make more of an effort to talk to people in class and tutorial. Show up a bit before your tutorial starts and make conversation with anyone who is also there waiting. This generally works as an ice breaker.
Old 09-08-2010 at 12:30 PM   #4
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
But when you're done, Lawleypop and I are in Hamilton Hall not doing anything.
Suuuuuurrrrreeee you're not ;D

Need company?
Old 09-08-2010 at 12:32 PM   #5
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Yes prz. I yelled at you on FB but you didn't respond. :(

Might check out Airbands soon though, I can sort of hear it and it sounds neat.
Old 09-08-2010 at 12:33 PM   #6
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

I just replied >_>
Old 09-08-2010 at 12:38 PM   #7
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

You offered company, but then you said it's too far. =\

Brb airbands, we'll be back soon!
Old 09-08-2010 at 12:41 PM   #8
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

I asked if you needed company out of curiosity, I never said I was gonna give you guys company.

But yeah, I might stop by later ;D
Old 09-08-2010 at 02:26 PM   #9
Jobbles

Liked: 0 Times

I'm in the same boat as you. I know people from Mac that are older but haven't met ayone my age who is a friend yet. My biggest problem is that I'm commuting from mississauga and it's harder to go there and attend all the events when it takes me 20-30 minutes to get to mcmaster and then back home. Plus, it gets harder to meet friends when so many have already formed some kind of frienship. Buttt I'm sure we'll make friends during classes and tutrials. If anything I'll be your friend. We're already in the same faculty, so we'll run into each other eventually.
Old 09-08-2010 at 02:34 PM   #10
Skye

Liked: 3 Times

haha I have the exact same problem.. at this point im just looking forward to my classes to meet people

P.S I am in psych neurosci first year as well!

be my friend?
Old 09-08-2010 at 02:53 PM   #11
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

I feel you. You meet so many people and then you don't really seem to see them again, especially in SOCS. But it's still fun!
Old 09-08-2010 at 08:17 PM   #12
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Might check out Airbands soon though, I can sort of hear it and it sounds neat.
Sorry for the excessive horn honking and shouting of "T*TS!"...

Arm&hammer likes this.
Old 09-08-2010 at 08:19 PM   #13
Username____

Liked: 0 Times

where?

is????the ???

party???att>>

Last edited by jhan523 : 09-09-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2010 at 12:28 AM   #14
recos

Liked: 1 Time

@Jobbles and Skye: I'd love to be friends with you girls! I hope I bump into you guys in one of my classes! What classes do you have on Thursday + Friday?
Old 09-09-2010 at 08:29 AM   #15
Skye

Liked: 3 Times

thurs i have anthro 1zo3 and calc 1ko3! what about you??