MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac FROSH week recos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 09-09-2010 08:47 AM
MACMSA's FROSH WEEK! ! ! khattagh Clubs & Groups 4 09-07-2010 12:21 AM
Possible Frosh Week Bands? Shmowen Music 59 08-18-2010 04:14 PM
Frosh week Parties Katia General Discussion 2 09-06-2009 10:12 PM
Frosh Week partying? Locke CLOSED: Dating & Relationships 6 07-29-2008 06:27 PM

alcohol during frosh week

Old 09-01-2009 at 12:34 PM   #1
starlight

Liked: 3 Times

alcohol during frosh week
I'm in Engineering and I don't mind drinking except I'm on medication for a week and I finish my medication on Monday. I can't have any alcohol while on the medication and even after I finish the medication it says that I can't drink for 3 days. I hear that engineers tend to drink a lot, even during frosh week. Would it be weird if I don't drink? I really want to be involved and I love drinking games but I wouldn't want to risk my health for it.
Old 09-01-2009 at 12:35 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Lots of people don't drink. Don't worry about it.

A thing to remember if you are underage and are caught drinking you will get in trouble for it. It is illegal after all.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-01-2009 at 12:36 PM   #3
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Geez peer pressure. If you don't want to drink don't.

meerf says thanks to niteskie for this post.

Old 09-01-2009 at 12:48 PM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

What does "get in trouble" translate to? I mean, during frosh week, lets be honest... There are going to be a bunch of people that don't drink, but htere are going to be an ENORMOUS number that do. And the school knows this. And they know its mostly underage. So what does the school do? Are they actively policing it? Are rez supervisors and floor supervisors looking very intently, hoping to catch you and report you?
Old 09-01-2009 at 12:49 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Screw peer pressure... if you can't drink then you can't drink. If someone can't accept that then they're a douchebag and probably not worth associating with.

Old 09-01-2009 at 12:49 PM   #6
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Just fake being drunk.

Old 09-01-2009 at 12:56 PM   #7
starlight

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskie View Post
Geez peer pressure. If you don't want to drink don't.
I do want to drink...but can't :(

Either way, I definitely won't be drinking. Just wondering whether most of the activities (not regulated by Mac) are revolved around drinking?
Old 09-01-2009 at 12:57 PM   #8
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

During my frosh year, my CAs opinion was: "As long as your "drink" is in a sealed container (eg. those travel coffee mugs, you get a ton of these for free), then there cool with it.

As long as your not making a lot of noise, disturbing other students, or being obnoxious, or having EFRT picking you up, then you should be fine.

~Cheers :b eer3::dri nking08:

mike_302 says thanks to MacEng for this post.
Old 09-01-2009 at 01:03 PM   #9
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

I've seen many people over the past couple of years at getting tickets from breaking the liquor laws, and thats just at the concert.... I wouldn't risk it but hey go ahead.
Old 09-01-2009 at 01:03 PM   #10
mike_302
Elite Member

I like that opinion..... a LOT. this is coming from a guy that doesnt really drink!
Old 09-01-2009 at 01:05 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

You're actually worried about how you appear because you decide NOT to drink?

This is silly. :S

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Joann, Pay919, xxsumz like this.
Old 09-01-2009 at 01:07 PM   #12
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
I've seen many people over the past couple of years at getting tickets from breaking the liquor laws, and thats just at the concert.... I wouldn't risk it but hey go ahead.
I guess if your being obvious about it like drinking in the hallway or in the common rooms. But I guess that depends on your CAs.

One of our CAs, if they caught you drinking in the hall from a beer can, would make you pour it down the toilet.
Old 09-01-2009 at 01:24 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
What does "get in trouble" translate to? I mean, during frosh week, lets be honest... There are going to be a bunch of people that don't drink, but htere are going to be an ENORMOUS number that do. And the school knows this. And they know its mostly underage. So what does the school do? Are they actively policing it? Are rez supervisors and floor supervisors looking very intently, hoping to catch you and report you?
Major fine in Residence: $75 a pop. Drinking under age is considered a Major. It depends on your CAs as to how heavily this will be enforced.

There were a few in my building who would have a no-warning policy, and this is true of other buildings and other CAs in various years. One of my friends got a major before living in the building for 12 hours.

Mac Security can also ticket people for carrying around (open) alcohol, or for being intoxicated in public. And depending on how difficult you are being to Mac Security Hamilton Police can also be called in. They are often present during WW as well.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-01-2009 at 01:32 PM   #14
mike_302
Elite Member

Okay, well, here's to the Aristotilian CA's
Old 09-02-2009 at 05:21 PM   #15
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

24 budweiser . . . . $37.50

time spent on the bus carrying it . . . . priceless