MacInsiders Logo

Do you believe in heaven?

Old 10-18-2010 at 03:32 PM   #196
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

The concepts of heaven and hell seem silly to me. Reincarnation I can somewhat comprehend, as can I the fact that maybe there is nothing waiting for us after we die. The fact some religions have their own concepts of heaven and hell, and that if you're not apart of the respective religion you're not going to heaven is what strikes me as silly. Christians say that you must be Christian and lead a good life to go to heaven, while Muslims say otherwise. Who's right? The probable answer is probably neither, because if there is a God, it's probably universal.

Anyways, I think heaven and hell were just made to control the masses and extinguish any fear about the after-life. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows. We're all going to find out anyways. But anyone who claims to KNOW what happens after you die is, in my opinion, close-minded.

And for those of you who can't comprehend the concept of not existing, just think about this for some prespective. It's just like before you were born. You didn't mind then, why will you mind when you die?
Old 10-18-2010 at 04:32 PM   #197
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
The concepts of heaven and hell seem silly to me. Reincarnation I can somewhat comprehend, as can I the fact that maybe there is nothing waiting for us after we die. The fact some religions have their own concepts of heaven and hell, and that if you're not apart of the respective religion you're not going to heaven is what strikes me as silly. Christians say that you must be Christian and lead a good life to go to heaven, while Muslims say otherwise. Who's right? The probable answer is probably neither, because if there is a God, it's probably universal.

Anyways, I think heaven and hell were just made to control the masses and extinguish any fear about the after-life. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows. We're all going to find out anyways. But anyone who claims to KNOW what happens after you die is, in my opinion, close-minded.

And for those of you who can't comprehend the concept of not existing, just think about this for some prespective. It's just like before you were born. You didn't mind then, why will you mind when you die?
I agree that heaven is a concept humans have made up. There's no proof that it exists, and I also agree it's a concept we made up to simply make s feel better about where we're going when we die. I consider myself a christian, but I don't believe that only christians go to heaven. I think anyone can as long as they have lived a good, honest life. I think it's interesting what that you said "And for those of you who can't comprehend the concept of not existing, just think about this for some prespective. It's just like before you were born. You didn't mind then, why will you mind when you die?", I've never considered that. But that's definitely true. But then, some people believe when you are born, you are born one and only; I mean to say, you have not been reincarnated to there was nothing there to mind not-existing.
Old 10-18-2010 at 04:34 PM   #198
JKSLYR

Liked: 19 Times

Gaia theory states that all life comes from a singular source, and that when we die, we return to that source, taking the mass of our experiences. Therefore our life contributes to the growth of future life. It's a reimagining of reincarnation that I can get behind.

I do think there is an afterlife but I doubt it's within the scope of our comprehension. No one will return to tell us what it's like. I'd rather not think of life as some sort of 'test' - I figure everyone will go to the same place, because the universe (so far) doesn't discriminate based on moral values.
Old 10-18-2010 at 04:35 PM   #199
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

The problem I see with reincarnation is that the total number of animals on earth has fluctuated dramatically over time. I suppose it could just be that an extraordinary amount of souls remain in limbo at at all, but I don't really like that idea.
Old 10-18-2010 at 04:39 PM   #200
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
The problem I see with reincarnation is that the total number of animals on earth has fluctuated dramatically over time. I suppose it could just be that an extraordinary amount of souls remain in limbo at at all, but I don't really like that idea.
Maybe reincarnation is only directed at human beings, not animals.
Old 10-18-2010 at 05:35 PM   #201
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
I went to a catholic school (for the International Baccalaureate program that they had there), and the only things they taught us about sex were "These are the horrifying STDs that you can get," "You can get pregnant even if you use contraceptives" and "DON'T DO IT."

Abstinance is so very effective. It's what leads to the sort of things I heard in the halls after school one day. Two girls and one guy talking about shower sex, and the one girl goes, "You can't get pregnant if you have sex in the shower, right? 'Cause it washes away all the bacteria?" The others went, "I think you still can," very dubiously.

Bacteria. BACTERIA.

It made me want to cry. :(
LMFAOO.
I hate Catholic schools for this reason, the dumbass school board/curriculum or whatever ONLY let's you talk about abstinence and how you'll get STD's and DIE if you have sex. D:
goddamn religion/health class was so useless.

At my school, we didn't even discuss any type of contraceptives. :S D:
Like are you serious?!!!!!!!

THIS is why there is a daycare attached to my highschool.

/rant

Old 10-21-2010 at 11:53 AM   #202
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
I went to a catholic school (for the International Baccalaureate program that they had there), and the only things they taught us about sex were "These are the horrifying STDs that you can get," "You can get pregnant even if you use contraceptives" and "DON'T DO IT."

Abstinance is so very effective. It's what leads to the sort of things I heard in the halls after school one day. Two girls and one guy talking about shower sex, and the one girl goes, "You can't get pregnant if you have sex in the shower, right? 'Cause it washes away all the bacteria?" The others went, "I think you still can," very dubiously.

Bacteria. BACTERIA.

It made me want to cry. :(
1) I lol'd

2) I lol'd some more

3) Had to think about the whole bacteria thing again, then I lol'd again.

4) I realized that this reminded me of a conversation I overheard about two guys talking about how a girl can't get pregnant if she's on top when ejaculation occurs... Or as they put it... Stuffing the meat pie... Wow.
Old 10-21-2010 at 12:05 PM   #203
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post
1) I lol'd

2) I lol'd some more

4) I realized that this reminded me of a conversation I overheard about two guys talking about how a girl can't get pregnant if she's on top when ejaculation occurs... Or as they put it... Stuffing the meat pie... Wow.
OMG they did NOT. That's scary.
Old 10-21-2010 at 01:34 PM   #204
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post
1) I lol'd

2) I lol'd some more

omg lmao i lol'd at both the bacteria and the meat pie stuffing XD

just...WOW.
Old 10-21-2010 at 01:37 PM   #205
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

I wish their was a heaven but deep down I know it doesn't exist.
Old 10-21-2010 at 01:39 PM   #206
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I'm in heaven when I'm with you.
Old 10-21-2010 at 01:42 PM   #207
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Guys, everyone knows you can't get pregnant when the girl is on top because of gravity.

Old 10-22-2010 at 12:33 AM   #208
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
I wish their was a heaven but deep down I know it doesn't exist.
How can you have such certainty that it doesn't exist.

It could exist or not. It's arrogant if you say that you know it doesn't, you should say I believe it doesn't exist.
Old 10-22-2010 at 01:17 AM   #209
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
How can you have such certainty that it doesn't exist.

It could exist or not. It's arrogant if you say that you know it doesn't, you should say I believe it doesn't exist.
A long time ago people largely accepted that it did exist.
Then people started questioning this automatically accepted fact.
Now quite a number of people believe it doesn't exist.
And soon people will say they know it doesn't exist.

All irrelevant.

It's, by its very nature, unknowable. Why waste 11 pages talking about it?
Cause thats the kind of place this is.

SilentWalker says thanks to RyanC for this post.

SilentWalker likes this.