MacInsiders Logo

Do you believe in heaven?

Old 10-16-2010 at 10:29 PM   #151
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
If you believe in heaven, then you must believe in hell, right? Would one then belive in purgatory as well, or is that strictly a Catholic concept?
There is budhist heaven as well. I may be wrong but I don't believe that Buddhism features a form of hell or purgatory.
Old 10-16-2010 at 10:34 PM   #152
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
There is budhist heaven as well. I may be wrong but I don't believe that Buddhism features a form of hell or purgatory.
Buddhist do have heaven and hell but they both are eternal. So you take a rebirth/reincarnate and depends on your karma what you become and you can work your way toward self-conscience and attain moksha (liberation) from this cycle. It may take you only 1 life or gazillions. There is no burning in hell or a trip to paradise.

Edit: Also there is very big misconception that Buddhists worship Buddha, but it's not the case. Buddha was a born hindu who attained spiritual enlightenment, which they are striving to attain to get the freedom from the continuous cycle of life and death. Therefore, there is no concept of God in Buddhism, they follow Buddha's teachings.

I could a be a little off though.

Last edited by mcmastergcdb : 10-16-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2010 at 10:47 PM   #153
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
There is a Buddhist hell. But, it's not forever. Eventually you'll be reborn and get out of there.

Here's some information.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell#Buddhism It's Wiki, so it's not the best source, but from what I remember learning in Death and Dying: Eastern Traditions, it's not inaccurate.
Old 10-16-2010 at 10:55 PM   #154
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Buddhist do have heaven and hell but it's eternal. So you take a rebirth/reincarnate and depends on your karma what you become and you can work your way toward self-conscience and attain moksha (liberation) from this cycle. It may take you only 1 life or gazillions. There is no burning in hell or a trip to paradise.

Edit: Also there is very big misconception that Buddhists worship Buddha, but it's not the case. Buddha was a born hindu who attained spiritual enlightenment, which they are striving to attain to get the freedom from the continuous cycle of life and death. Therefore, there is no concept of God in Buddhism, they follow Buddha's teachings.

I could a be a little off though.
The first buddhist followed his teaching WITH Buddha. They were like his disciples, in a sense. Buddha was actually born into a royal family. He was a prince and obv. his father wanted him to take over after him. Buddha was good at all the things that were required of princes (academics, sports [I think sword fighting and archery]), but one day he left the palace for the first time and saw three things:

1. a sick man (he had never before seen illness)
2. a dead man
3. and... I don't remember the last one, sorry!

But you're correct in that he attained spiritual enlightenment. Onc, he went without eatting for something like 40 days and was very near death when a girl appeared out of the water with a bowl of rice and milk, therefore reviving him. He also didn't leave anyone to take his place after he died, so there was only ever one Buddha.

(I'm actually really impressed that I remember all that from the asian relgions class I took) Oh, he was also born out of his mother's side. She died 10 (or 7?) days after his birth. So there you go, a little Buddha bio for you.

mcmastergcdb likes this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 11:07 PM   #155
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Onc, he went without eatting for something like 40 days and was very near death when a girl appeared out of the water with a bowl of rice and milk, therefore reviving him.
lol this sounds like a myth: a girl appearing out of the water with a bowl of rice and millk?? lol
Old 10-16-2010 at 11:53 PM   #156
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Some people believe that heaven/afterlife/etc is in the fourth dimension, which is kinda cool if you think about it.
Old 10-16-2010 at 11:59 PM   #157
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I only believe in Cloud 9

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 10-17-2010 at 12:02 AM   #158
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Some people believe that heaven/afterlife/etc is in the fourth dimension, which is kinda cool if you think about it.
that reminds me of a lecture i was completely lost in

i wish i was better at math :(
Old 10-17-2010 at 12:02 AM   #159
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Budden View Post
that reminds me of a lecture i was completely lost in

i wish i was better at math :(
I also wish I was better at math.
Old 10-17-2010 at 12:04 AM   #160
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
I also wish I was better at math.
*Resists asian joke*
Old 10-17-2010 at 12:09 AM   #161
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
4-d is trippy man. this is the 4-d equivilent of a square/cube undergoing rotation rendered in 3-d displayed as a 2-d image.

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 10-17-2010 at 01:22 AM   #162
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
High school religion class was a joke.

i went to a catholic school for about two years. In our Grade 10 retreat, it was about healthy relationships and at point, the chaplain gave out scrap paper so we could all ask "pressing questions" about our sexuality or relationships or bodies, etc etc.

First question he picked out at random from the drop box:

"Do flavoured condoms taste like latex?

Best.retreat.ever.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 10-17-2010 at 10:21 AM   #163
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
i went to a catholic school for about two years. In our Grade 10 retreat, it was about healthy relationships and at point, the chaplain gave out scrap paper so we could all ask "pressing questions" about our sexuality or relationships or bodies, etc etc.

First question he picked out at random from the drop box:

"Do flavoured condoms taste like latex?

Best.retreat.ever.
Seriously just laughed really hard out loud! You should put that on fmylife.com
Old 10-17-2010 at 11:18 AM   #164
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Seriously just laughed really hard out loud! You should put that on fmylife.com

Haha, I would, if it actually belonged on the site. Nothing bad happened to me
Old 10-17-2010 at 11:25 AM   #165
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Haha, I would, if it actually belonged on the site. Nothing bad happened to me
Juist use that phrase and flip it around a bit so that it sounds like something bad happened to you! Half of the stuff on that site isn't real, anyways.