Do you believe in heaven?

Old 10-16-2010 at 08:08 PM   #121
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
I can honestly say i really enjoyed that. Thanks man
Always happy to spread the awesome that is Tim Minchin. His other stuff is really good too,if you care to check it out. This one's on the same topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFO6Z...eature=related

Quote:
I know i shouldn't waste my time on it, but when christian fundies start telling people that they are going to hell for not being christian it really bothers me. I had a close friend who died, I'll not get into too much detail, but a member of the christian fellowship at my school very adamantly insisted, out of nowhere mind you,that it was because she was "a worthless pagan sinner unloved by god for her misdeeds" and then proceeded to tell me if I didn't accept god into my heart a far worse fate would befall me and that I would go to hell for being an atheist. She was an amazing person I cared for very much, and I didn't want to listen to that shit. If that wasn't bad enough he got several of his friends in on it too. This memory is enough to make me really angry when I hear people telling other people they are going to go to hell for not being christian. it almost feels like disrespect for the dead. What about the love of god? What about caring for your neighbours?
I understand what you mean, and you have my sympathies. By "waste of my time," though, I meant arguing about such topics on forums. I don't care to argue with people who are clearly to blinded to think (or too scared to Google?) unless it infringes upon the rights of others, in which case action is necessary. Arguing to preserve people's rights and to educate those with whom words will actually register is one thing--attempting to change the mind of the many Storms out there is another.

Quote:
What I did do is plenty of research and then presented to him a variety of passages from the bible and got him to believe that he would be going to hell for the way he treated my friend and I unless he changed his ways and became a 'better person'. he never bothered me or anyone else again by trying to convert people.
Hm. Never thought of using the bible that way. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:13 PM   #122
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Hm. Never thought of using the bible that way. I'll keep that in mind.
You can find out a lot of interesting stuff about the bible. For example: if your balls get crushed you are not allowed in church (Deuteronomy 23).

Here is an example of racial tolerance in the bible:

23:7 Thou shalt not abhor an Edomite; for he is thy brother: thou shalt not abhor an Egyptian; because thou wast a stranger in his land.23:8 The children that are begotten of them shall enter into the congregation of the LORD in their third generation.

third generation seems a little harsh to me.
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:20 PM   #123
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Quote:
You can find out a lot of interesting stuff about the bible. For example: if your balls get crushed you are not allowed in church (Deuteronomy 23).

Here is an example of racial tolerance in the bible:

23:7 Thou shalt not abhor an Edomite; for he is thy brother: thou shalt not abhor an Egyptian; because thou wast a stranger in his land.23:8 The children that are begotten of them shall enter into the congregation of the LORD in their third generation.

third generation seems a little harsh to me.
Indeed you can. I was raised a Catholic, desperately wanted to really believe in god when I was a young child, because that's what my mother and various other authority figures told me I should do. I felt guilty that I didn't truly believe, even if I wanted to. Then I started thinking for myself.

I went through this period in grades 6 and 7 when I read approximately 3-4 novels a day. Read the entire bible a few times over during that period. Not for religious reasons, but more for something to read. It's ****ed up. There's that one often-cited passage...

If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days. --Deuteronmy 22:28-29

Realized that bible ain't all happyfuntimes and righteousness like they taught in school. And it's funny how they never read some passages in church. The ones justifying pillage, rape, etc.

Last edited by Amaryll : 10-16-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Unncessary link removed.
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:32 PM   #124
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days. --Deuteronmy 22:28-29

Realized that bible ain't all happyfuntimes and righteousness like they taught in school. And it's funny how they never read some passages in church. The ones justifying pillage, rape, etc.

WTF the bible ACTUALLY says that?.....wow i knew it has a few weird things but we never once discussed anything about this in our highschool mandatory religions class o.o
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:36 PM   #125
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Deuteronomy is my personal favourite since it's so messed up. Do you remember the passage that instructs you kill and burn entire villages to nothingness if you find so much as one person who worships another god in that village? If people followed that....

Another favourite is Samuel 22:11 which more or less depicts god as a dragon.
22:5 When the waves of death compassed me, the floods of ungodly men made me afraid;
22:6 The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;
22:7 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God: and he did hear my voice out of his temple, and my cry did enter into his ears.
22:8 Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations of heaven moved and shook, because he was wroth.
22:9
There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
WTF the bible ACTUALLY says that?.....wow i knew it has a few weird things but we never once discussed anything about this in our highschool mandatory religions class o.o
http://www.thebricktestament .com/the_law/index.html

Fun resource for old testament laws, illustrated with lego!

Amaryll, Entropy like this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:51 PM   #126
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
wow mandatory religion class...did you live in texas?
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:52 PM   #127
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
As he said earlier he went to a catholic school.
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:52 PM   #128
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

There's also polygomy in the bible. One example is Jacob (Joseph's father [like Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat]), he had multiple wives and 12 sons (Reuban, Simeon, Levi, Naphtali, Isachar, Asher, Dan, Zebulin, Gad, Benjamin, Judah, and Joseph). I've seen the play WAY too many times... I know all the songs off by heart.
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:52 PM   #129
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
As he said earlier he went to a catholic school.
ah i didn't see that
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:57 PM   #130
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Seen the play WAY too many times... I know all the songs off by heart.
I love that play. it helped me learn colours!

It was red and yellow and green and brown
And scarlet and black and ocher and peach
And ruby and olive and violet and fawn
And lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
And cream and crimson and silver and rose
And azure and lemon and russet and grey
And purple and white and pink and orange
And red and yellow and green and brown
Scarlet and black and ocher and peach
And ruby and olive and violet and fawn
And lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
And cream and crimson and silver and rose
And azure and lemon and russet and grey
And purple and white and pink and orange
And blue
Old 10-16-2010 at 09:01 PM   #131
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Quote:
http://www.thebricktestament .com/the_law/index.html

Fun resource for old testament laws, illustrated with lego!
I'm not sure why I find that so very amusing.
Old 10-16-2010 at 09:04 PM   #132
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
Whats wrong with Religion class? I went to a Catholic school and I found religion fun. Especially grade 11/12 religion. In grade 11 we did world religions and grade 12 was mostly about sex and relationships.
Old 10-16-2010 at 09:06 PM   #133
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Whats wrong with Religion class? I went to a Catholic school and I found religion fun. Especially grade 11/12 religion. In grade 11 we did world religions and grade 12 was mostly about sex and relationships.
only that it was mandatory, didn't know he went to catholic school though
Old 10-16-2010 at 09:09 PM   #134
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Another favourite is Samuel 22:11 which more or less depicts god as a dragon.
God....is a dragon? Ah-ha! The Aztecs were right! All hail Quetzalcoatl, The Feathered Serpent God!

Much more entertaining than ye-olde J.C. At the very least, the dragon motif would certainly spice up St Peter's.

lorend, RyanC like this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 09:13 PM   #135
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

There is no heaven and hell. If there was some sort of geographical location called heaven, the astronauts would`ve found it by now. According to vedas, both heaven and hell are here right on this Earth and this is where KARMA comes into place.

For example, if their is love and harmony within your family. You want to back home from job/wherever and spend time with them and it is like a heavenly to you. On the other hand, if you have strained relationships with your parents/wife, etc. you wouldn't even want to see them even on those special holidays.