MacInsiders Logo

Do you believe in heaven?

Old 10-16-2010 at 05:30 PM   #76
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
ok joe, i really didn't want to do this...but i guess i have to reveal my identity. I'm God and i command you to give me some roast beef. chop chop.
but.....but.... i cant cook :(
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:34 PM   #77
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Budden View Post
but.....but.... i cant cook :(
that's not how you talk to a God, i guess bible camp really is useless
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:37 PM   #78
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
that's not how you talk to a God, i guess bible camp really is useless
lol im not remotely religious, i have a more "scientific" view point and thought process. However, i stay open to all opinions / ideas / thoughts.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:43 PM   #79
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
lol im not remotely religious, i have a more "scientific" view point and thought process. However, i stay open to all opinions / ideas / thoughts.
dam science, my only weakness...i wonder why, i gotta think of a way to make the people stop thinking for themselves, maybe if i..kill all the non-believers, threaten everyone who doesn't believe in me and get them while their young
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:47 PM   #80
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

lets braek this up
Quote:
religion is just a mass delusion, there is absolutely no evidence for religion and yet people choose to believe it. that my friend is a delusion. also you may think the idea of heaven is benign, but think about all the people in history that wouldn't have killed themselves if they knew that there wasn't life after death, all the soldiers and suicide bombers. i say that society would be a much better place without this ridiculous belief and i cant wait until a decent percentage of our population decides to use science as our source of knowledge instead of a silly little book written thousands of years ago
religion is acutally quite vital..its what keeps people hoping and doing good. Just cause there are a few crazy suicide bombers doesn't mean that the religion is to blame its those idiots for getting all extreme. Religion keeps people in tact with their humanity and sure there are people who take it to the extreme but it also helps in a way with people helping each other the whole "what would jesus do","if your good you go to heaven if your bad you go to hell", pretty much all religions have "help those less fortunate" as annoying as it may be to hear it all the time people actually do help cause of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
  1. Christianity is not the only religion.
  2. Science as a source of knowledge?
As I wrote below:

Would you like to rewrite that, my dear?
your a total dipshit seriously.. Christianity is a large group sure but its no more important than any other religion (except maybe the religions that tell you to kill ppl cause lets face it killing people is bad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
So... it's a vicious, vicious circle.
basically that is why there has to be a beginning aka "god", "infinite energy" whatever you wanna call it.

Quote:
ok science is our method to attaining knowledge, it doesnt change, the method at least. however ideas change all the time when scientists find new theories that match the universe more...also science is NOT a belief like religion at all, science is always open to new ideas while religion is just some ridiculous dogma that nobody can change
i kinda of agree with you on that... even though i said religion is good people take it too serious and a lot of wars are centered around religion and differing beliefs but thatz mainly cause ppl are iditos in general.

Quote:
It's up to us to decide whether we want to get to heaven or not, not God. If it wasn't so, we'd all be in heaven already, not here on Earth. God made rules. Follow the rules, you get to heaven. Don't follow the rules, too bad. Simple. It's just like the law. Do you go around breaking the law? If not, why?

And why the would God forgive someone who's constantly sinning? He put temptation to see who would cave or who would resist. Would you release all prisoners and say they're forgiven, and expect them not to commit crimes again?

Like I said in my first post:

It (heaven) is a place we'll go to only if God determines it to be so. And I believe the the way to achieve that is not to go about sinning like there's no tomorrow, asking God to forgive you, and then Oh! all of a sudden you're sin-free (rinse, repeat).
sooo...when did god come to you and fill you in on this plan of his?
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:50 PM   #81
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

well i guess the part where we differ is that you think that religion and morality is the same thing, “The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.” Arthur C Clarke

nerual likes this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:51 PM   #82
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
Christianity is a large group sure but its no more important than any other religion (except maybe the religions that tell you to kill ppl cause lets face it killing people is bad.)
just to clarify, Christianity is big on the whole killing other religions too\

Deuteronomy 13:12-18

12If you hear it said about one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you to live in 13that wicked men have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), 14then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. Destroy it completely,a both its people and its livestock. 16Gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. It is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt. 17None of those condemned thingsb shall be found in your hands, so that the Lord will turn from his fierce anger; he will show you mercy, have compassion on you, and increase your numbers, as he promised on oath to your forefathers, 18because you obey the Lord your God, keeping all his commands that I am giving you today and doing what is right in his eyes.

tl:dr God wants you to kill every non-christian and burn their cities to the ground. Even one non-christian in the town is reason to burn the whole thing. Isn't the old testament WONDERFUL!?
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:52 PM   #83
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Why do you devote yourself to university then? You don't know if you're going to get your degree.
Heaven is a whole different scenario. It's something that is so uncertain, and so unknown that I can't plan my life around it. I'd rather take things day to day and not worry about something that is beyond my control. University on the other hand, I know that I want to get my degree, and get a job, and this is something I have more control over (I don't know if that makes sense).

For the record: I do believe in some form of afterlife, I just don't know what because no one will ever know until they die.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:54 PM   #84
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
your a total dipshit seriously..
You're really dandy yourself .

Quote:
Christianity is a large group sure but its no more important than any other religion (except maybe the religions that tell you to kill ppl cause lets face it killing people is bad.)
Umm...how the hell does that relate to my comment. You were referring to religion, saying something about a book being written a long time ago, which was obviously a reference to Christianity. I said Christianity is NOT the only religion. Do not represent religion with Christian symbols (i.e. the bible).

Quote:
sooo...when did god come to you and fill you in on this plan of his?
Read the title of the thread. Do you believe...
Do I have to define believe for you?

Last edited by SilentWalker : 10-16-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2010 at 06:00 PM   #85
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
well i guess the part where we differ is that you think that religion and morality is the same thing, “The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.” Arthur C Clarke
"I cant formulate my own thoughts or opinions so ill Google search some quote and post it in this thread.... yeah that sounds good"
Old 10-16-2010 at 06:03 PM   #86
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
"I cant formulate my own thoughts or opinions so ill Google search some quote and post it in this thread.... yeah that sounds good"
really? if we're not allowed to quote anything then why even have an atheist vs christian thread, basically every argument made by christian comes from a quote in the bible. are you trolling your own thread or are you just plain dumb. damn i shouldn't have been drinking so much when i made you.
Old 10-16-2010 at 06:04 PM   #87
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
really? if we're not allowed to quote anything then why even have an atheist vs christian thread, basically every argument made by christian comes from a quote in the bible. are you trolling your own thread or are you just plain dumb. damn i shouldn't have been drinking so much when i made you.
umad?

Old 10-16-2010 at 06:05 PM   #88
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
You're really dandy yourself .

Umm...how the hell does that relate to my comment. You were referring to religion, saying something about a book being written a long time ago, which was obviously a reference to Christianity. I said Christianity is NOT the only religion. Do not represent religion with Christian symbols (i.e. the bible).

Read the title of the thread. Do you believe...
Do I have to define believe for you?
my bad on that account i thought you said christianity is the only religion

Oh so you believe: It's up to us to decide whether we want to get to heaven or not, not God. If it wasn't so, we'd all be in heaven already, not here on Earth. God made rules. Follow the rules, you get to heaven. Don't follow the rules, too bad. Simple. It's just like the law. Do you go around breaking the law? If not, why?

And why the would God forgive someone who's constantly sinning? He put temptation to see who would cave or who would resist. Would you release all prisoners and say they're forgiven, and expect them not to commit crimes again?

that sounds more of a "fact" that you put out of sumwhere then a "belief"
...im sorry after going to a catholic school for 4 years i was under the impression that Christianity was a religion that was CENTERED AROUND the saying of the bible...
Old 10-16-2010 at 06:31 PM   #89
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
that sounds more of a "fact" that you put out of sumwhere then a "belief"
...im sorry after going to a catholic school for 4 years i was under the impression that Christianity was a religion that was CENTERED AROUND the saying of the bible...
I don't quite understand what you're saying.

REPLEKIA/. says thanks to SilentWalker for this post.
Old 10-16-2010 at 06:37 PM   #90
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I don't quite understand what you're saying.
....ok wow i need some sleep i read what you wrote and my brain told me something else...imma stop arguing and just sleep i thought you said chistianity had nothing to do with the bible. and was just wondering what the **** kind of chrstian is she?