MacInsiders Logo

Do you believe in heaven?

Old 10-16-2010 at 05:08 PM   #61
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

religion is just a mass delusion, there is absolutely no evidence for religion and yet people choose to believe it. that my friend is a delusion. also you may think the idea of heaven is benign, but think about all the people in history that wouldn't have killed themselves if they knew that there wasn't life after death, all the soldiers and suicide bombers. i say that society would be a much better place without this ridiculous belief and i cant wait until a decent percentage of our population decides to use science as our source of knowledge instead of a silly little book written thousands of years ago
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:09 PM   #62
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Nope, because I have no idea what's going to happen when we die. And I don't really want to devote my life to something that may or may not happen once I pass away.
This is the worst example of logic ever.

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:11 PM   #63
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
religion is just a mass delusion, there is absolutely no evidence for religion and yet people choose to believe it. that my friend is a delusion. also you may think the idea of heaven is benign, but think about all the people in history that wouldn't have killed themselves if they knew that there wasn't life after death, all the soldiers and suicide bombers. i say that society would be a much better place without this ridiculous belief and i cant wait until a decent percentage of our population decides to use science as our source of knowledge instead of a silly little book written thousands of years ago
  1. Christianity is not the only religion.
  2. Science as a source of knowledge?

As I wrote below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Essentially, or rather generally what I'm saying it that, people always use science to back up their claims, especially when it comes to fact vs. belief debates. Well the fact is, science is just as much of a belief as religion is. Nothing we know is necessarily true. Just like how spontaneous creation was abandoned, classical physics was rewritten, and so much more was left in the dust (although they were all believed to be true)...just as easily all the 'science' we know can be rewritten as long as it's falsified. So everything we perceive is just a matter of belief and understanding. The mechanics of the universe, the quantum theory, evolution, gravity, everything. It isn't necessarily true.
Would you like to rewrite that, my dear?

Last edited by SilentWalker : 10-16-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:13 PM   #64
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Why do you devote yourself to university then? You don't know if you're going to get your degree.
But it is something that is easier to predict and control.

Look at any relationship...some people see someone they like and choose to pursue them despite uncertainty, and over time they either decide they made a bad choice or a good choice. Other people choose not to pursue the relationship because of the uncertain outcome and the little control over it--it doesn't just depend on them, but on the other person as well, in a way they can't necessarily predict.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:14 PM   #65
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
But it is something that is easier to predict and control.

Look at any relationship...some people see someone they like and choose to pursue them despite uncertainty, and over time they either decide they made a bad choice or a good choice. Other people choose not to pursue the relationship because of the uncertain outcome and the little control over it--it doesn't just depend on them, but on the other person as well, in a way they can't necessarily predict.
Nice analogy.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:15 PM   #66
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
lol its more of a philosophical debate your bringing religion into it you cant do that you have to strictly stick to scientific laws and what not. Every thing is caused by some previous action before it. so if you were to trace each and every action before it, it is impossible to come to the "start" of time because there has to be something that caused time to start and something to cause that something that caused time to start. and you would have an infinite chain, so its safe to conclude that there has to be something that doesn't follow that law and that something started that chain and didn't have something cause it into being....you get it?

this will take forever lets just stick to whether you believe in heaven or not
So... it's a vicious, vicious circle.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:19 PM   #67
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

ok science is our method to attaining knowledge, it doesnt change, the method at least. however ideas change all the time when scientists find new theories that match the universe more...also science is NOT a belief like religion at all, science is always open to new ideas while religion is just some ridiculous dogma that nobody can change
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:20 PM   #68
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbs View Post
If we are talking about the God of the bible, he gave us free will to make our own choices. God does not desire evil, and has the capability to get rid of it. He sent his Son Jesus to earth to take the penalty for sin, so that whoever chooses God and not evil can get to heaven
God gave us free will and wants us to make our own choices? HAH! Read the bible, god made us mindless animals and forbade us from acquiring basic knowledge. And when humans defied the will of god and obtained knowledge we were outcast from eden and women were eternally cursed. if god had his way we'd all be mindless drones following his will in eden to this day.

I'm sure god also made it so that the vast majority of people followreligions other than Christianity, and thus would be made to suffer eternally in a pit of fire? Very loving, Mhmm. You know, the old testament says we should stone disobedient teenagers to death? God, he's a cool and understanding guy.

even in the context of your argument god is cruel. If we are truly the beloved children of god, why does god not take the evil away so that everyone gets into heaven?

ShouldBeStudying likes this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:25 PM   #69
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
even in the context of your argument god is cruel. If we are truly the beloved children of god, why does god not take the evil away so that everyone gets into heaven?
It's up to us to decide whether we want to get to heaven or not, not God. If it wasn't so, we'd all be in heaven already, not here on Earth. God made rules. Follow the rules, you get to heaven. Don't follow the rules, too bad. Simple. It's just like the law. Do you go around breaking the law? If not, why?

And why the would God forgive someone who's constantly sinning? He put temptation to see who would cave or who would resist. Would you release all prisoners and say they're forgiven, and expect them not to commit crimes again?

Like I said in my first post:

It (heaven) is a place we'll go to only if God determines it to be so. And I believe the the way to achieve that is not to go about sinning like there's no tomorrow, asking God to forgive you, and then Oh! all of a sudden you're sin-free (rinse, repeat).

Last edited by SilentWalker : 10-16-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:25 PM   #70
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Why do you devote yourself to university then? You don't know if you're going to get your degree.
This is a completely different scenario. We both know degrees exist do we not? We both know lots of people have gotten degrees. There is no doubt that degree's exist i.e. belief is not present.

Nobody can say for certain whether there is a heaven or not though. We don't know if anybody has gotten to heaven. We don't even know what you have to do to get to heaven! If you want to believe there is a heaven, and you believe you know how to get there, then fantastic, and goodluck.

Striving to get something we know is real and striving for something we cannnot say exists for certain are two completely different scenarios.

eric_3490, mcmull19 like this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:25 PM   #71
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:

You're asking why doesn't God forgive everyone of their sins and let them into heaven? Is that even a serious question?

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:28 PM   #72
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
But I wanna make wobots

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Rakim likes this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:28 PM   #73
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Budden View Post
You're asking why doesn't God forgive everyone of their sins and let them into heaven? Is that even a serious question?
ok joe, i really didn't want to do this...but i guess i have to reveal my identity. I'm God and i command you to give me some roast beef. chop chop.
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:29 PM   #74
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Budden View Post
The question is more along the lines of "why does god permit sin to exist when he can rid it from the world with no effort"

if god is a benevolent being why does he do nothing to help the large majority of humans who will go to hell by the standards set out in the bible. The highest estimates only place 1/3 the world as christian, and how many of those honestly would meet the criteria to make it into heaven. How can you argue that god is benevolent and worthy of praise if he sends the vast majority of humanity to burn eternally, even when a large number of those people were good people who have committed no crime?
Old 10-16-2010 at 05:29 PM   #75
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
This may be in bad taste (downvote if you think so) but I found it funny and it seems on topic:

LMAO for this pic Oh man thats frigen funny i would just be like "ARE you frigen KIDDING ME? i devoted my life to helping people...you no what hand me a pitch fork and give me sum horns im with you now!!"