MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
amount of units needed to go into year 2 ? brazil2014 Academics 1 04-11-2011 02:22 PM
minimum 30 units to second year? honeyplusbee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 04-11-2011 12:46 AM
summer school or more units in 2nd year?? rmfldkdtm Academics 10 04-11-2011 12:42 AM
24 units in first year? Linh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-07-2010 07:38 AM
6 units of first year engineering electives kevcom First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-01-2010 11:56 PM

Do You Need 30 Units As A Second Year?

Old 07-11-2011 at 06:42 PM   #1
oxelhs

Liked: 11 Times

Do You Need 30 Units As A Second Year?
So if worst comes to worst and I cannot fix my two courses that are conflicting, I'll end up with 15 units first term and 12 units second term. Would this be detrimental in any way? I have four bios in second year and I was thinking if I can switch Cell Bio into second term, I can then drop ecology and then take it summer school. How hard is BIO 2F03 to begin with and would you recommend taking it in the summer?
Old 07-11-2011 at 06:45 PM   #2
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxelhs View Post
So if worst comes to worst and I cannot fix my two courses that are conflicting, I'll end up with 15 units first term and 12 units second term. Would this be detrimental in any way? I have four bios in second year and I was thinking if I can switch Cell Bio into second term, I can then drop ecology and then take it summer school. How hard is BIO 2F03 to begin with and would you recommend taking it in the summer?
This will detrimental if you wish to apply to professional school. You aren't doing 5 courses a year sort of thing which they usually expect. Though you can just do another semester of 5 courses to make up for it..
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:04 PM   #3
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

just find another course thats 3 units, or take a 3 rd year course thats open.
Theres no way all the courses are full, so you have options out there.
Old 07-11-2011 at 08:00 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It's not detrimental really, but why postpone it till the summer? Bio 2F03 isn't that difficult, it was actually pretty straightforward. I would really keep it if I were you! I had 5 Bio courses in second year and it was fine. It's really not all that bad.
Old 07-11-2011 at 09:45 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

like particle said, it will negatively affect your admissions into professional schools (ie med school if that's where you're headed). most med schools want to see a full course load every year (meaning 5 courses per semester). Also, you won't get the certain "bonuses" that some med schools have. For example, UoT won't look at the lowest two marks you get for each year, ONLY if you have a full course load per year
Old 07-11-2011 at 09:54 PM   #6
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
like particle said, it will negatively affect your admissions into professional schools (ie med school if that's where you're headed). most med schools want to see a full course load every year (meaning 5 courses per semester). Also, you won't get the certain "bonuses" that some med schools have. For example, UoT won't look at the lowest two marks you get for each year, ONLY if you have a full course load per year

Can anyone confirm this? Haha I've been trying to decide whether or not to take microbio and physics in the same year as orgo1+2 and a bunch of prerequisites for pharm. If this is the case then I may hold off on these courses.

I just had a question. Do students in honours bio usually have a lot of labs? Right now my only lab is in the orgos since I'm not taking bio2a03 yet and am not sure about bioe2ee3 and physics1b03.
Old 07-11-2011 at 10:04 PM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Can anyone confirm this? Haha I've been trying to decide whether or not to take microbio and physics in the same year as orgo1+2 and a bunch of prerequisites for pharm. If this is the case then I may hold off on these courses.

I just had a question. Do students in honours bio usually have a lot of labs? Right now my only lab is in the orgos since I'm not taking bio2a03 yet and am not sure about bioe2ee3 and physics1b03.
http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions...mation/faq.htm

Read under "About Academic Programs"
Old 07-11-2011 at 10:09 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post

Yes, that's how it works at some schools. Maybe look into the schools you're interested in. Are you looking into med or pharm?