MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are the tough courses you encountered so far? CampusHelper Academics 26 10-17-2012 10:35 AM
first year social science and wants to drop a course 737300173 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 11-03-2011 04:38 PM
Tough Questions mfattal General Discussion 22 01-31-2011 07:02 PM
Course is harder than I thought - should I drop it or tough it out? Kathy2 Academics 12 01-21-2010 01:07 AM
how tough is natural disasters nowadays? pk00 Academics 4 12-16-2008 10:29 PM

Drop and wait a year, or tough it out?

Old 08-05-2013 at 10:49 PM   #1
JamesK

Liked: 2 Times

Drop and wait a year, or tough it out?
Hello fellow macinsider forumers, i may/may not be an incoming student next year. i've been accepted, i've done everything required thus far like choosing courses and settling my payment options, but i'm finding it very difficult to get myself oriented and prepared for university. i don't think that i'm being lazy, i think i'm just naive and don't really know what i'm doing; i'm the first person in my immediate family who has applied to university. (this site has been a GIGANTIC help, without it i would surely be screwed.)

the problem is that i really don't have a clue what i'm doing. i get emails from MAC that say "do this" and i do it, but i'm not really grasping what i'm doing. if this keeps up, i think i'm going to show up looking like a complete derp, and i'll be wandering around like a kid who can't find his mother. i know what my program is about, and what i intend to do with my program, but other than that, i know nothing about anything.

anyways, my question is should i stay back a year, get a full time job, re-apply next year with more confidence, preparation, and independence (at the cost of losing some of my high school knowledge) or is my ignorance normal, something that i can eventually conquer, and over time adapt to this new lifestyle? i really don't want to rush myself into university, only to fail and waste all my money. i know nobody here can judge whether or not i am mature enough by a few words i've typed on a screen, but really what i'm looking for is if anyone here experienced what i'm experiencing right now, or knows someone who did, and if/how they got over it.

P.S if i did decide to stay back, how would i go about cancelling all my progress so far? Also, would i be able to reapply to the same program the following year? thanks for any help in advance, and don't be afraid to criticize me.

Last edited by JamesK : 08-05-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2013 at 11:55 PM   #2
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Why not try it out for the first 2 weeks? There's a drop and add period and also a last day to cancel courses day. I would say try it out for a while and see how it feels. If you don't like it, then just cancel. I do think it is Normal to feel the way you are now. Everyone adjusts in their own way and no one really gets used to it at a specific time.

I talked to a lot of students and guess what, they have no idea where they are headed either so welcome to the club! Do not be afraid of uncertainty. University isn't just about pursing your passion, iit is also about finding out what you like and dislike. It really is just a chance to explore your interests and find out who u are.

On the other side is that if you feel really uncomfortable after 2 weeks, then don't push it. Not everyone needs to go to university and not right away. My friends took their time and its also a good choice.

I say try it out and see how it goes. Who knows, you might just like it.

My biggest advice is that if you choose to stay, you might still have bumps along the way and that's okay. U r better off expecting difficulties and preparing for them ahead of time rather than be surprised by them. Become familiar with the resources on campus. There is a student wellness centre and there's also peer support line. Peer support line is a phone number you can call to talk about what's on your mind. It's confidential, free and is run by students at McMaster! Make sure you get help when you need it (includes asking users on this forum)!

JamesK likes this.
Old 08-06-2013 at 12:04 AM   #3
JamesK

Liked: 2 Times

That's not a bad idea, only potential problem is whether i'd fall way behind without the books. it's good to know all this uncertainty is common, i just feel isolated because none of my friends went to Mac and no other close family went to uni so i'm struggling. thanks for the advice, i'll consider it!
Old 08-06-2013 at 12:27 AM   #4
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

There is a campus map on the McMaster website you can download. It also points out the abbreviations such as ITB, ABB, BSB, JHE, CNH, etc. These are the buildings where your lecture halls will eventually be.

Everyone in first year is experiencing what you're feeling. I know I did. Over the weeks of exploring the campus, you will eventually know your way around blindfolded.

What Jay said pretty much says it all. You can drop all your courses without any financial penalty within the first two weeks. Over time, you lose your money gradually. I believe if you dropped within a month or so, you get 60% of your tuition back.

Mac is a fantastic campus and it's even awesome when you venture out towards Dundas and Hamilton. Stick around, balance your workload and social life and you'll be fine.
Old 08-06-2013 at 12:43 AM   #5
AnimeGamer31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
That's not a bad idea, only potential problem is whether i'd fall way behind without the books. it's good to know all this uncertainty is common, i just feel isolated because none of my friends went to Mac and no other close family went to uni so i'm struggling. thanks for the advice, i'll consider it!
I wouldn't say way behind unless you have courses that have a lot of reading. It's pretty slow for first two weeks and I got all my books close to the second week but it depends on your program and courses.

With regards to isolation, I suggest joining clubs, sports, getting involved and have a social network. You really cannot survive alone and it's okay if you feel uncomfortable with socializing. Get involved one way or another. You are already part of something: macinsiders. Sign up for a workout class at the gym and make some friends there. Arrange for weekly meet ups to work out. Stay in touch with your old friends too via Facebook or whatever you use. Stay in touch with your family. If you just study, then you will feel isolated, I know I did. When I volunteered, I talked to more people and I had a sense of belonging. Add something that is social to your agenda, it could be studying with others. Won't be easy at first, but you can do it since you made it this far today.

Also, you r not the only one coming to Mac without anyone you know. I am sure there are others coming here alone whether they're from another city or country. So do not fret, you r definitely not alone.
Old 08-06-2013 at 12:53 AM   #6
AnimeGamer31

I also suggest visiting this website. It has stories by Mac students and how their first year was like. It is a website to help prepare you for your first year and make transition easier. Check it out if you haven't already http://studentsuccess.mcmast er.ca/...soar-2013.html

JamesK says thanks to AnimeGamer31 for this post.
Old 08-06-2013 at 01:03 AM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Its not that bad. Attend classes on first day, make a few friends, and chill with them all day and explore campus.

You will be fine. Everyone feels this before entering uni!
Old 08-06-2013 at 01:15 AM   #8
NA19

Liked: 1 Time

To be honest, I don't think you should worry about it! Regardless of if they admit it or not, every first year has NO CLUE what they're doing in first year. Being aware of the fact that you have no clue is in itself good prep. And at some point, EVERYONE will wander around campus like a child who can't find his mother. I would advise you to go through with it anyway and if you put your mind to things/make friends/work hard, you WILL BE FINE.

The only reasons you should take a year off after high school before university is if:
-you really need a break, want to explore the world, travel, or explore a job field that interests you which does not require a university education
-if finances are a problem.

So if you're thinking of getting a job somewhere where you have an interest and want to explore the field, do it. If you are just nervous about entering university, DONT SWEAT IT! MAC has a really great atmosphere and community support feel. I was a first year last year. Although I thought I knew what I was doing, I totally didn't. I screwed up millions of times. Sometimes I felt alone, confused and out of place. But man, this university has some great students and faculty. And you'll get through it just fine!

Anyway, of course, at the end of the day, do what you feel is right for you, but don't turn away from your first year because you're feeling nervous and out of place. You share this feeling with every freshman that's coming to school this year

JamesK says thanks to NA19 for this post.
Old 08-06-2013 at 03:50 AM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Without sounding like a broken record, everything said so far is true. I certainly didn't feel prepared going into university 4 years ago, and my sister is going through the same thing now and she's excited/anxious, even worried as well. It's a normal part of the transition. You won't fall behind. Take it as a challenge and try it out. There's tons of resources on campus that can help you, time management, note-taking workshops, etc. Professors are usually more than helpful as well, if you ask them how to approach a certain topic, how to study, etc. There are also your Teaching assistants (TAs), the Student Success Centre with a ton of services for first-years, as well as your community advisors if you're living in residence.

Don't worry about it! And feel free to PM me if you have any other questions/concerns
Old 08-06-2013 at 08:16 AM   #10
bells

Liked: 0 Times

The way you have written and articulated yourself in the post shows to me that you are ready. DO NOT waste a year just because of fear, trust me.. you will be FINE!!!!!! put on your big boy pants and lets do this!!!! you have NOTHING to worry about!!!
Old 08-06-2013 at 10:39 AM   #11
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

Hey James, first of all you would likely be "deferring" your acceptance for a year, not cancelling it and reapplying.

Second of all, the anxiousness that you are feeling about university is very common. I went through a similar phase and I'm sure most students on here did. There are people who are waiting to help you at the university so you can ask them as many questions as you need to feel comfortable. You can always call McMaster if you have a specific question about these "what to do next" questions. I'd highly recommend getting involved in Welcome Week as much as you can to get to know other people who are going through similar things as you.

Like someone else said, don't let fear decide to stay or defer. And if you ever have any specific questions or need advice, feel free to private message me on here any time! I'd be gad to help. All-in-all...YOU CAN DO IT!

JamesK likes this.
Old 08-06-2013 at 10:48 AM   #12
speirac

Liked: 1 Time

Go to Welcome Week! you will become familiar with the campus and the people. On my first day there I was standing looking at a map all confused and a girl came up to me and walked me to my class. The people are so helpful and Mac is home to me now. I completely understand where you are coming from, but don't sell yourself short! Give it a try...if it's nothing something you can do right now you have until the drop period as previously stated.
Old 08-06-2013 at 11:23 AM   #13
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I say try it out and see what happens. As what everyone else says, you will be able to learn a lot of things by going through something you don't know about. You never know you might like going to university and the experience of it.

I was in the same situation as you 3 years ago. I didn't know what to do and I was this confused kid going through my first year of university. But years went by, I started to like university and I met so many great people. I got into the program i wanted and i love going to Mac now. My sister is going through the same situation but she is more excited as I was 3 years ago.
Old 08-06-2013 at 11:30 AM   #14
hamsterific

Liked: 9 Times

You will probably feel anxious regardless of how long you wait to go, so putting it off is just a waste of time. I'm going through the same nervousness even as someone who's been to university before (just not away from home). You're in the same boat as everyone else so don't worry!
Old 08-06-2013 at 12:33 PM   #15
ChrisKam

Liked: 3 Times

Everyone feels a bit of anxiety before they go to university. Whether you wait until next year or go now, those butterflies will still be there.

From my own personal experience, I did a victory lap at high school for half a year and then worked for the second half. Even though I got a lot of money, it still felt like a waste of a year.