MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropbox Space Race Yogurt Computers & Tech 12 10-16-2012 12:29 PM
Box.net (Like Dropbox) zango General Discussion 13 10-18-2011 07:42 PM
SFAS Dropbox MajorPager General Discussion 1 09-15-2011 07:40 PM
Payment Dropbox!? help quickly luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-29-2011 03:15 PM
Double credit for Dropbox users! Jayson193 Student Deals & Discounts 6 10-10-2010 03:17 PM

Dropbox for Avenue assignments closed? Help!

Old 12-14-2013 at 10:11 AM   #1
fatimaa

Liked: 4 Times

Dropbox for Avenue assignments closed? Help!
hi,
I was wondering if you were handing in an assignment late (which was due last friday) and you needed to hand it in today or monday.....then how come avenue dropbox is closed? Does that mean that I'm no longer allowed to hand in the assignment? Was there an absolute deadline for essays? I contacted my prof but he still hasn't replied yet. Help!
Old 12-14-2013 at 10:27 AM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Avenue dropbox closes when the deadline is passed. Take a look at your course outline and see what are the procedures/penalties for handing in late assignments.
If your prof doesn't reply, try emailing your t.a, otherwise you should see your professor on Monday or wait until he replies.

fatimaa says thanks to jim1 for this post.

fatimaa likes this.
Old 12-14-2013 at 10:43 AM   #3
lsparrow1

Liked: 10 Times

Your professor won't reply over the weekend most likely. Just wait until Monday and see. Hopefully the late deductions per day aren't that high!

fatimaa says thanks to lsparrow1 for this post.

fatimaa likes this.
Old 12-14-2013 at 05:20 PM   #4
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Either email the assignment to the prof or TA or go to the department and drop it off in the department dropbox (if applicable) with your prof/TA's name on it. Then email the prof to let them know you've done so, and the clock should stop on deductions.

fatimaa says thanks to Kudos for this post.

fatimaa likes this.
Old 12-14-2013 at 06:09 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Either email the assignment to the prof or TA or go to the department and drop it off in the department dropbox (if applicable) with your prof/TA's name on it. Then email the prof to let them know you've done so, and the clock should stop on deductions.
Putting a hard copy in a dropbox won't "stop the clock" on deductions. The clock "stops" as soon as someone actually picks it up, because they have no way of knowing when you actually put it their other than just taking your word for it.

I agree though, that instead of emailing and asking "what should I do", you should email and attach the assignment.

fatimaa says thanks to starfish for this post.

fatimaa likes this.
Old 12-14-2013 at 06:53 PM   #6
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Not necessarily, I had a prof who told me to put something in the dropbox and email him once I had, and that the clock would stop (ie if I emailed him before midnight, I saved myself the additional day). Each prof has their own policies, but I agree the the safest thing to do is to attach the assignment in the email since you already have a digital copy.

fatimaa says thanks to Kudos for this post.

fatimaa likes this.
Old 12-14-2013 at 10:00 PM   #7
lsparrow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Putting a hard copy in a dropbox won't "stop the clock" on deductions. The clock "stops" as soon as someone actually picks it up, because they have no way of knowing when you actually put it their other than just taking your word for it.

I agree though, that instead of emailing and asking "what should I do", you should email and attach the assignment.
Doesn't the department office stamp the date on it when you hand it in?
Old 12-14-2013 at 10:59 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

In four years at Mac, every single prof wouldn't stop the clock until a human being acknowledged its receipt...so I certainly wouldn't advise someone put it in a drop box and cross their fingers. Typically this policy also applies to people who hand it in on time but in the wrong drop box...it's not considered "handed in" until it's found.

Yes, if they time-stamp it then it's okay...but nobody is going to be around on the weekend, and it is also physically possible to put something in most of the school's drop boxes without going through a person (so it wouldn't automatically get stamped - you'd have to actively seek out someone to stamp it, if that makes sense).

fatimaa says thanks to starfish for this post.

fatimaa likes this.
Old 12-15-2013 at 09:27 AM   #9
lsparrow1

Ah, gotcha I see what you mean!