MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
taking orgo chem & Biochem 2EE3 in summer minji Academics 5 07-13-2010 12:42 AM
Dropping Summer Class MrSmith Academics 7 06-14-2010 09:35 PM
Taking Chemistry and Physics In the Summer FaisalAbid Academics 10 03-08-2009 08:16 PM
Taking summer courses at a different University? zemianr Academics 5 08-13-2008 01:45 PM

Dropping a Course & Re-taking it in the Summer?

Old 11-06-2010 at 02:07 PM   #1
JigglyPuff

Liked: 0 Times

Dropping a Course & Re-taking it in the Summer?
Hey everyone!

Im in first-year engineering ( )here at Mac, and I'm thinking about dropping the 1C03 course and r-taking it in the summer, as it's offered as a 6-week course in May (I'm nearly failing that class). The thing is, I'm getting 75+ on every assignment/test in the other courses (~9-11). Those aren't a problem...yet. Though, I feel like if I keep the 1C03 class, I'll probably get around a 1.0-2.0 by the end of the year...which would destroy my CA, and ruin my chances of getting into any of the Level II programs that I'm interested in (preferably biomed or mechanical, which are very competitive).

I was wondering if there would be any negative implications from dropping a course and retaking it in the summer. Would I have trouble getting into my Level II program? And when do they start accepting students into Level II programs? Has anyone else in engineering done this before, as well?

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-06-2010 at 03:20 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I would speak to an academic advisor ASAP. I believe Sally Williams is the person to talk to. The last day to drop a term 1 course without failure by default is Nov 12. You also probably won't get refunded any of the money for taking a course now.

For level 2 programs, no one gets accepted until final marks are in. For science courses, you can still get accepted to a level 2 program if you're missing a prereq (as long as you take the course in the summer), but I'm not sure if the same thing applies to engineering.
Old 11-06-2010 at 06:09 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

im thinking of doing that too for c03... i have like a 50-60
Old 11-07-2010 at 01:44 AM   #4
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Is 1C03 really that hard this year? Last year It was a bird course for most people. Easy 10-12's. What's changed?
Old 11-07-2010 at 10:35 AM   #5
moonlitnight

Liked: 4 Times

yeah people are saying the marking scheme is brutal
i have 1D04 this term instead and heard about atleast 40 people who are dropping it
Old 11-07-2010 at 10:20 PM   #6
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Most of the people I've talked to said it's not stupidly hard, but definitely not as easy as all the people saying it's a bird course is. That, and they arguably spend the most time doing work for that class more than any others.
Old 11-07-2010 at 10:37 PM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I wouldnt say 1c03 is hard, but it is time-consuming. Having wasted so much time, I dont not want to drop it but i feel like im in the same boat trying to get into biomed, where i did atrocious on the phys 1d03 midterm
Old 11-11-2010 at 01:25 AM   #8
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

The last day to drop a course without academic penality I believe is the 12th so I would reccomend dropping in to see Sally during the afternoons(bc you don't an appointment then).
As for dropping the course, haha I did probably for the same reasons as you :p
Talk to sally for sure though, she can give you some valuable insight
Old 11-11-2010 at 01:30 AM   #9
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

I don't know how much this might apply to the "what's changed Q" but they moved from Solid edge to inventor and maplesim4. I personally dont think its a "bird course", evident from the fact im taking it during the summer, b'c well it takes me super long to grasp the key concepts of how to do basic stuff, far less for all the complicated things we should be able to do by now