MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
Easy First Year Electives? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2009 06:35 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM
Easy first-year Social Sciences Electives? Mr.Prodigy Academics 6 12-08-2008 07:36 AM

Easy First Year Electives

Old 06-29-2008 at 06:09 PM   #211
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

i know..
but apparently we don't have to pick our tutorials or labs, but i already did that too -_-...
its alright..
mhmm
i heard peace studies is an easy course.. why don't you take that as an elective?
it's offered second term tooo *-)..
i think that's the one i'll substitute in for environmental science..
Old 06-29-2008 at 06:13 PM   #212
moonlight

Liked: 0 Times

oo actually my interest is more geard towards sciences and technology so that's why i can't take that course..i was thinking of taking a computer course instead.. but i dun get this one thing...are you sure that we dun have to select tutorials and labs :|...i selected all the tuts. and labs actually so i am not sure what should be done now :|
Old 06-29-2008 at 06:51 PM   #213
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

wait will it give us the option to choose tuts and labs tonight? or will there not even be the option to do it tonight and only the option to pick the cores?
Old 06-29-2008 at 07:34 PM   #214
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

No option to pick tutorials and labs, Chad is saying you can once your timetable is released in August.

A course can be full for upper year students, but not (neccesarily) for first year students. First year students need to take first year courses to fit their degree requirements. Upper years do not. Thus, they put a cap on the number of upper year students that can take a first year class.

Just because someone in third year can't get into the course doesn't mean as a first year you won't be able to get into it....if that was the case first year students couldn't get into any of the courses they need to complete the year.

Also, if you wanted to go into Enviro Sci there will be space for you in the class, as you need it for a degree requirement.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-29-2008 at 07:42 PM   #215
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Envir Sc 1A03 won't be full because there's a limit on how many upper years can enroll in 1st year courses. So don't worrym there's tons of spots for first years
Old 06-29-2008 at 07:44 PM   #216
pinkshuniza

well, on the article.. on the front page http://www.macinsiders.com/
here it says:

on Tuesday, July 29 at 10:30 p.m. SOLAR closes again to process sectioning. This is the time when your tutorials and labs will be auto assigned to you

and that..

August 7th, your timetables will be released and you'll be able to see the tutorials and labs that were sectioned for you. If you aren't happy with them, you can then change them via SOLAR.
Old 06-29-2008 at 07:57 PM   #217
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

pinkshuniza, can you clarify a little bit more? I don't fully understand what you're saying.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-29-2008 at 08:08 PM   #218
pinkshuniza

Right, Sorry.. that is a bit confusing lol

all i was saying is that, i don't think we're suppose to pick our tutorials and labs because on july 29, (According to the article on the front page), SOLAR will automatically pick them for us... and that if we don't like the way our sed. is, then we can change it on August 7th..

did I get that right? because heh, it was my attempt to answer the previous question about the tutorials and labs..
Old 06-29-2008 at 08:09 PM   #219
moonlight

ok can someone make it clear for once and for all...tonight we jus select our cores, that's all?? so we can pick any core without worrying about labs and tutorials??
Old 06-29-2008 at 08:38 PM   #220
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

When first years log onto SOLAR they are going to be choosing the core sections for their courses only.

On July 14 we will all be allowed to log in again and make any changes until July 29th.

The on August 7th our timetables will be released. Chad has said we will be allowed to choose our tutorial sections then.

Old 06-29-2008 at 08:42 PM   #221
moonlight

Ok, so we jus choose our core sections tonight...so we can choose any core sections we want?
Old 06-29-2008 at 08:53 PM   #222
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup, you can choose any core selection you wish.

Old 06-29-2008 at 09:24 PM   #223
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Just remember --- just because it's full for upper years doesn't mean it's full for first years. It basically just means that the special amount of upper years they let in has reached its limited. For example... as of right now, Mmedia 1B03 will show up as full for upper years but this is becuase it's a first year exclusive course, meaning upper years can't take it unless they have a waiver. Obviously as of right now, since first years have picked yet, the course isn't actually full, it just states it as this because we (upper years) are blocked from it.
Old 06-29-2008 at 11:05 PM   #224
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

ok i was just on solar and it didnt give an option to wat core i wanted, ??!?!?
Old 06-29-2008 at 11:09 PM   #225
pinkshuniza

oh man, this sucks
i was only 2 seconds late
and ..

The maximum allowable number of students are already using the system. Each student has a 45 minute time limit per online SOLAR session. Please try again later.

how long would later be??