MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
Easy First Year Electives? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2009 06:35 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM
Easy first-year Social Sciences Electives? Mr.Prodigy Academics 6 12-08-2008 07:36 AM

Easy First Year Electives

Old 07-24-2008 at 12:08 PM   #286
j***l

Liked: 0 Times

hi does anyone know which is easier? linguistics 1A03 or anthro 1A03? Thanks
Old 07-24-2008 at 03:38 PM   #287
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

I've heard Linguistics 1A03 is very easy.
Old 07-24-2008 at 06:08 PM   #288
j***l

thanks so you think that i should take linguistics rather than anthro?
Old 07-24-2008 at 06:09 PM   #289
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

Last time I checked anthro 1A03 was full.
Old 07-24-2008
j***l
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-24-2008 at 07:14 PM   #290
j***l

i already have anthro bcuz i feel that it will be interesting but im not sure of linguistics
Old 08-27-2008 at 07:53 PM   #291
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
Bump
My brother suggested to take this course (GEO: City & Economy) because it was easy. He said the assignments every week are reading an article and then writing about it. Doesn't seem that hard, hopefully.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 08-27-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2008 at 10:29 PM   #292
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Yep that Geo is easy I heard they're revamping the Geo courses this year though, so I'm not sure if it'll be as easy.. but the material is nice and simple.

Old 09-05-2008 at 07:59 PM   #293
stephoee

hii everybody, i am a first year student and i need some really easy electives for social science... I currently have Peace Studies 1A03 and i want to drop that and take something else that is much easier. Thank you
Old 09-09-2008 at 05:50 PM   #294
MSaleh

Liked: 8 Times

My two electives right now are Philos 1D03 and 1E03
I'm enrolled in Life Sciences.

I've been to each class once so far, and it's been making me worry. I like philosophy, mind you, and I'm great at writing essays and such, but I don't want to be overloaded. My mind is so focused on Chem 1A03 because from my experience, and other peoples comments, Chemistry is one of those courses that jumps up exponentially each year. I'm going to major in Biology next year though.

Can anyone recommend an elective or two that's a bit lighter on the readings / workload / breakdown ? The whole weekly paper thing isn't very attractive.

EDIT:What I would like is a more discussion based, group work type of thing, where I can also meet people, and take some stress out of me from science courses.

EDIT2: How is HTH SCI 1G03? It's annoying having Inquiry 1SC3 being full, along with THTR&FLM 1B03 (Sigh...) Who is the prof for Inquiry 1SC3, and how can I find him/her? Anyone have the office hours? I'm going to test my luck.

Last edited by MSaleh : 09-09-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2008 at 08:51 PM   #295
Saleha

Liked: 17 Times

hi, i might have overlooked it during my search of a number of first yr electives forums... but is there any course review of complit1aa3? the only thing i've read so far about that course is that its just as much work as the english courses... is there anyone who's taken it and would like to say a few words on it? i'd just like to know whether its an easy course to take or whether ppl usually dislike or find it hard?
thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2008 at 11:04 AM   #296
Chris L

Saleha: Nope, there doesn't appear to be any review for that course. Maybe someone can put one up for you.

Has anyone taken History 1BB3? How is it? I'm asking because there's no review for it yet. Also, I wanted to know if the textbook is useful for this course. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2008 at 04:18 PM   #297
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I took History 1BB3 with Dr. Egan last year so my opinion of the course would only be useful if he is teaching it again. He has a very unique teaching style and I know the course would be completely different if a different Professor is teaching it.

Personally I didn't enjoy the course material the way he taught it. I felt like everything was purposely convoluted and more difficult that it had to be. From tutorials it seemed like a lot of people enjoyed the course, but I knew others who didn't enjoy it.

There were 3 mini papers due in tutorial each week and you only had 1 - 1/2 pages to write on a topic from the readings. I found this to be difficult and they were looking for very deep and original analysis of passages with these.

There were two textbooks to purchase, plus two novels as well as a 3rd recommended textbook that was to be used for 3 optional lectures on your space time. I found the main textbook dry and not very useful. The 2nd textbook known as the course reader was necessary because of the 3 mini-papers he assigned and because of tutorial discussion.

The two novels needed to be read in order to write the course's major paper. I found the topic to be vague. It was a comparison essay between the two novels and you could choose from a few different things to write about.

Again though, I don't know if the major essay would be the same.

I liked my TA for the course and tutorials were interesting.

Lectures were painful to sit through imo.

The exam was difficult and the prep for the exam was awful. Basically on the exam there were going to be a few terms to discuss and essay questions. Sounds simple enough and I usually enjoy history exams, this one not so much. For the exam review he gave out 4 possible essay questions which was fine but for the terms he gave a list of almost 100 terms and only like 7 were on the exam. So basically you had no possible clue which terms might be on there. The terms chosen on the exam were not even close to being major themes or terms from the course. It was like he just picked out random ones that might have been briefly mentioned.

I personally love history courses and enjoy taking them but I hated this one and would avoid taking any course taught by Dr. Egan in the future. It's not that he was a bad prof, I personally did just not enjoy his way of teaching history. The major things you would expect to focus on and learn about in this Global History course were not focused on.

If a different prof is teaching it though I would think it would be a lot better as the course material isn't bad in itself.

daisy says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 12-19-2008 at 05:38 PM   #298
Chris L

Thanks for your reply sew! Apparently its a different prof next term (Sun) so I guess that's a good thing!
Old 01-05-2009 at 02:28 PM   #299
litadumas

Gerontol 1a03
How is Gerontol 1A03? Can anyone give me a quick review on it?