MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pop music 2ii3 - how hard/easy are the midterms? rcmp1234 Academics 5 10-12-2011 04:45 PM
Star investigation: Slacking off gets high marks at this ‘high school’ enarab General Discussion 29 09-19-2011 11:17 PM
Easy, Average or Hard Timetable? for Business 1 Student keiser=) First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-01-2011 09:18 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
How EASY/HARD is Enviornmental Science 1A03? rated1234 Academics 5 05-17-2010 07:50 PM

How easy/hard was high school for you??

Old 12-08-2011 at 11:08 AM   #16
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Highschool for me is neither easy and hard (so pretty much somewhere in the middle). I was an 80s average person throughout highschool and it was not hard for me to achieve high marks (although I had courses that I always get 60s on like English...). I was a hard worker and I took all academic classes and some of my favourite classes (such as French) throughout highschool. But when Grade 12 came, that's when my marks went down. I had to worry about getting to university and I wanted to get into Life Sciences so I took the sciences, the maths and all those important subjects in 1st semester. I ended up not doing well in all of them, therefore I had to switch. When 2nd semester came by, my marks were all in the 90s (except for Calculus) mainly because I took French, Geomatics, and Peer-Tutoring (which were easy courses) and all of them put my average way high and got admitted to Mac for Humanities with an 82%. Throughout 2nd semester I repeated English on E-learning and got an 89, so that also helped my average. Overall highschool was great. I still visit the teachers once in a while just to say hi and tell them how am doing. Frankly, I sometime do miss my highschool.

Last edited by akikokoyoki : 12-08-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2011 at 11:39 AM   #17
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Minimal effort and 80+ averages every semester. By minimal effort I mean no homework and next to no studying, just handing in assignments and writing tests. I frequently came across material on tests that was new to me, but I managed to figure it out and make it work while writing the test. I'm a pretty smart guy tbh. lol
Old 12-08-2011 at 11:46 AM   #18
BJSchleifer
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 45 Times

I could have slept through high school. I spent an entire unit in grade 12 calculus learning Japanese on my iPod touch, and I still did amazing in that class. In grade 9 math, the teacher said that people should come to me if they have questions, and go to her if I can't help them; and I never had a problem helping them. In grade 11 math, I basically went taught the girl next to me. In grade 11 and 12 English, I always had my good copy essay finished when the first rough draft was due, and everyone wanted me to edit their essays because I actually gave input while everyone else just focused on spelling and grammar.
Unfortunately, since I found high school so easy, I wasn't prepared for university, and I did terrible in my first term here. I've since improved significantly.
Old 12-08-2011 at 12:26 PM   #19
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

I have 2e with savant-ism in maths and logic, I took Data Management, Finite Mathematics & Discrete Geometry, and AP Calculus. I got 90-98% across the 3. I did nothing in my other courses and got 64~ across them. Somehow I made it to uni, started treating my ADD after getting pwned in 2nd year. Now I'm a good student.
Old 12-08-2011 at 12:36 PM   #20
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

I graduated with a 93% but did absolutely no work until the night before it was due. Earlier, the OP said that they wish they were someone who could study the night before a test and do well... That was me. However, I hate that I was like that because now that I'm in university, I am screwed. I learned nothing in high school that prepared me for this.
Old 12-08-2011 at 01:01 PM   #21
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
Minimal effort and 80+ averages every semester. By minimal effort I mean no homework and next to no studying, just handing in assignments and writing tests. I frequently came across material on tests that was new to me, but I managed to figure it out and make it work while writing the test. I'm a pretty smart guy tbh. lol
Not sure if serious..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
I have 2e with savant-ism in maths and logic, I took Data Management, Finite Mathematics & Discrete Geometry, and AP Calculus. I got 90-98% across the 3. I did nothing in my other courses and got 64~ across them. Somehow I made it to uni, started treating my ADD after getting pwned in 2nd year. Now I'm a good student.
-_- What? Do you have any proof of that? Your mark maths don't count...I'm absolutely atrocious at math and I still managed 94-98% in my math courses in grade 12. I hope you're working with professors on mathematics research in the summer. We could sure use savants like yourself to help expand our knowledge.
Old 12-08-2011 at 03:10 PM   #22
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Not sure if serious..

-_- What? Do you have any proof of that? Your mark maths don't count...I'm absolutely atrocious at math and I still managed 94-98% in my math courses in grade 12. I hope you're working with professors on mathematics research in the summer. We could sure use savants like yourself to help expand our knowledge.
I finshed highschool in 2007. Discrete was also the most difficult course offered in Ontario too, but only 8% of those who were suggested to take it took it AP calc was also pretty intense. Data Management is generally regarded as a bird course.

savant-ism is kind of hard to explain. but basically once i get the logic of how a math operation is carried out, I can do it effortlessly but can hardly explain/teach it.
Old 12-08-2011 at 04:48 PM   #23
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

lol @ ZSimon

just sayin'
Old 12-08-2011 at 06:51 PM   #24
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Not sure if serious..

Not really serious lol. This is MacInsiders, isn't it? Seriousness and this place rarely intersect.

EDIT: Well, I was recognized gifted in elementary school and have other numbers and test results I can talk about, but that doesn't really mean anything unless you have the work ethic and motivation to back it up (obviously). Until last year, I really didn't. I still don't have the best work ethic, but I'm vastly improved from my high school self at least.

Last edited by Andrew A : 12-08-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2011 at 07:19 PM   #25
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I feel so old now, thinking of how long ago high school was!

There were some classes that I found difficult - anything to do with math or science. I chose not to take those in grade 11 and 12, because I didn't need them for university.

So the classes I did take were generally pretty "easy" to me. High school is a LOT of memorization, which I'm good at, so I never found it difficult. I think my average was in the mid 80s. It wasn't "hard", I just didn't try very much.
Old 12-09-2011 at 01:28 AM   #26
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Any civilized person can complete high school. If you can follow instructions, you can probably snake your way through graduation. High school is not a predictor of future success. University is somewhat different, as it has a lot more self-directed learning. If you play your cards right, you can make something of yourself. We are all lucky to have so many opportunities.

Seriously, if any of you claim to be as smart as you are, in any field of science or engineering, please put your skills to good use and start researching. Make the world a better place. Same goes out to the non-technical majors. Please put your smarts to good use and do something creative/productive that will change the world (for the better).
Old 12-09-2011 at 10:38 AM   #27
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

I was a 75%-78% student in Grade 9 - 10.
In Grade 11, stepped it up to a 85%.
In Grade 12, I slacked, got a 82%.

oh man, times have changed.
Old 12-10-2011 at 09:44 AM   #28
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

The material wasn't super difficult but the workload was brutal (I was in IB - only time I've ever pulled an all nighter for school was in high school).
Old 12-11-2011 at 01:40 AM   #29
DaveyA

Liked: 1 Time

didn't really study in highschool and found it ok
now studying like craaaaaaaazy
Old 12-12-2011 at 03:52 PM   #30
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Considering that I didn't take it seriously at all? Very.

The fact that only your grade 12 marks are looked at by universities made me realize how much of a waste of time striving for a 90 percentile was, I instead used my extra time to pursue my hobbies and interests and probably learned more that way.

I really think they need to change how unimportant grade 9-11 are in terms of University entrance requirements.