MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to make an easy $10? kinstudy Volunteering Opportunities 12 11-04-2010 04:16 PM
Guy Friends/Girl Friends lizziepizzie Dating & Relationships 101 10-18-2010 09:01 PM
Should I get the Macpass or not? is welcome week really fun? make lots of friends?? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-25-2010 11:44 PM
You Have 0 Friends syan9184 Movies & Television 18 04-17-2010 08:51 PM
I barely know anyone at Mac... what if I make no friends? :( dobbz123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-22-2008 07:20 PM

How easy is it to make new friends?

Old 07-21-2011 at 09:48 AM   #16
rammramm

Liked: 10 Times

Another great opportunity you might want to consider is Horizons. Horizons is a leadership conference specifically for incoming first year students. It is a GREAT opportunity for meeting other people; both your fellow first year students as well as upper years. I'm not saying Horizons is crucial to making friends and having a good first year experience - you can get just as good of an experience by partaking in other events and activities in your first year, but Horizon provides an environment that is conducive to meeting new people and forming friendships thus making it a little easier. Some of my closest friends still are the ones I made as a delegate at Horizons. You can find more information here: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...ration2011.htm
It's definitely worth checking out! If you have any questions, feel free to ask

Biochem47 says thanks to rammramm for this post.

Old 07-21-2011 at 11:31 PM   #17
jessicalynn

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammramm View Post
Another great opportunity you might want to consider is Horizons. Horizons is a leadership conference specifically for incoming first year students. It is a GREAT opportunity for meeting other people; both your fellow first year students as well as upper years. I'm not saying Horizons is crucial to making friends and having a good first year experience - you can get just as good of an experience by partaking in other events and activities in your first year, but Horizon provides an environment that is conducive to meeting new people and forming friendships thus making it a little easier. Some of my closest friends still are the ones I made as a delegate at Horizons. You can find more information here: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...ration2011.htm
It's definitely worth checking out! If you have any questions, feel free to ask
I AGREE. i met this lovely laady last year at horizons ^. it was such a great experience for me that i applied to be a leader this year because i wanted to do it all over again! definitely give some thought into attending the conference, you won't regret it

rammramm says thanks to jessicalynn for this post.
Old 07-21-2011 at 11:58 PM   #18
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

I dunno about you guys, but I live by the philosophy of ole Sam Weir (Freaks & Geeks):

Old 07-23-2011 at 10:50 AM   #19
orangeeee_

Liked: 0 Times

definitely. you'll meet people at welcome week and may even see them again in class. talk to people beside you, and greet them if you see them again. it's pretty easy because everyone wants to meet new people.

Huzefa says thanks to orangeeee_ for this post.
Old 07-30-2011 at 09:46 PM   #20
mochamagicar

Liked: 0 Times

My best word of advice to you, introduce yourself to just about everyone you encounter! I went through the exact same feeling as you when I was entering my first year and was amazed how quickly and with ease I made friends during frosh week. I think you need to understand that everyone is in the same boat as you; everyone wants to make friends, everyone doesn't know many people, you're not the only one! So don't feel shy or timid to introduce yourself to other people in your residence, lectures, clubs, etc. You will be fine, trust me.

Huzefa says thanks to mochamagicar for this post.
Old 07-30-2011 at 11:31 PM   #21
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

Hey there!

I know exactly how you feel. I felt welcome week was a bit of a failure at making tons of friends but then again I mostly stayed in my room hiding from the world. :/

Anyway everyone there will be a bit nervous and like some people above said, all it takes it a hi! i knocked on my neighbors' doors and introduced myself. It helps if your roommate is willing to go out with you. If not, never fear!

I met my closest friend so randomly; standing outside BSB waiting for Chem class to begin. [Complaining that it's too early for this class (10am)]. Slowly I made my close group of friends and again I met these people so randomly; waiting in Thode to ask Frank Physics questions, in the student centre while waiting on my order, even talking to people I met at keggers in class (that was a little awkward I will admit).

Anyhow all it takes is a simple hi. In time you too will find your awesome group of friends and trust me you will bond over homework, studying, watching mutual tv shows (HIMYM!), eating, partying and the list goes on.

Hope that helped! Have a great summer! And don't despair. Welcome Week is sooo much fun! (this I learned from the few events I went to!)

Huzefa says thanks to Ish001 for this post.
Old 07-31-2011 at 12:44 AM   #22
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

For me, the first week (and month) of school was the easiest time to make friends. Everyone is just a little lost too, and mostly open to meeting new people. So talk to someone during Welcome Week, while waiting for the bus, while sitting next to someone in class - maybe someone who looks lost? lol. Other than that, volunteering (with people from Mac), joining clubs, meeting friends of friends - there's so many opportunities!

Anyway, my point is, don't be too worried about it. Just be yourself - there's so many different people in university, you really won't have to worry about "fitting in." If all else fails, SMILE (and if that person is in the same boat, they'll definitely smile back and possibly even talk)

Huzefa says thanks to aya017 for this post.
Old 07-31-2011 at 09:22 PM   #23
Huzefa

Liked: 1 Time

ty for ur reply, i feel better

aya017 likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 06:56 PM   #24
jayyenn

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I totally understand how you feel right now. It's actually not that bad, everyone will probably be introducing themselves to everyone in first year, even if you just see a glimpse of them in your class. I actually made a friend at the bus stop once simply cause she recognizes me in her bio class. (:
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:12 PM   #25
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You can be my friend. I has none.

-Ish-, anonanon987 like this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:27 PM   #26
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
You can be my friend. I has none.
You're epic.
/12chars
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:28 PM   #27
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

RyanC likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:59 PM   #28
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Don't worry, after a week or two at Mac, you'll be...wait for it...

Huzefa, RyanC, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 09:02 PM   #29
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Every time I see the forever alone guy I smile. ALWAYS.