MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEED! econ 1BB3 or 1B03 Term1 celestine Academics 4 08-12-2010 01:21 AM
Econ 1BB3 and Econ 1B03 in the same semester a good idea? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2009 01:04 PM
Econ 1B03 and ECON 1BB3 lampk Academics 24 06-24-2009 09:26 AM
Econ 1B03 or 1BB3 mmal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-27-2008 12:09 PM

Econ 1B03/1BB3

Old 06-05-2010 at 02:16 PM   #1
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Econ 1B03/1BB3
So I'm thinking of taking one of these courses this summer for term two and was wondering if anyone from term one of the summer session could link me to the course webpage or could send me some of the notes/course outline so I can get a head start. Also did you have to buy Aplia or was everything via ELM? Also any helpful advice about the courses or whether to buy the textbook or not is welcome. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2010 at 02:41 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

You DONT need the textbook for either, its a waste of money.

Microecon was pretty easy, most people got a really good grade.

Macro was actually surprisingly hard after the first midterm, the exam was pretty challenging.

Id take Micro if I were you.
Old 06-05-2010 at 03:21 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

MICRO:
-Easier
-no aplia (for non-summer at least). Therefore cheaper
-textbook not recommended. Complete waste of money
-hannah holmes decent prof, posts excellent lecture notes
-pod casts put online
-everything done via elm

MACRO:
-found harder, but more interesting. got same mark as micro though
-textbook not recommended. Complete waste of money
-You must pay for aplia! ~$70 or something, but you get access to E-copy of TEXTBOOK -> so dont buy hard copy unless you need it.
-Recommend you go to class. there are podcasts, although not as in depth as lectures. These are posted on aplia as with everything else. Nothing is on ELM. There are no posted lecture slides so you may want to take notes.

Either course is quite easy. Both have very lax grade breakdowns (they drop assignments and make better tests worth more). I suggest you choose the course that seems more interesting to you (business models vs full economy). You need interest to drag yourself to lectures. As for getting ahead. The textbooks are listed under the course reviews for this website. I sure you can obtain less than legal versions of the american text book if you set your mind to it (ive seen several versions on various torrent sites).
Old 06-06-2010 at 11:05 AM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Ya I'm leaning towards ECON 1B03 atm. Dr. Qaiser is teaching it looks like. Anyone have him as a prof before?