MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Econ 1B03/1BB3 AnguishedEnd Academics 3 06-06-2010 11:05 AM
Econ 1bb3/1b03 + Aplia Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 26 09-07-2009 03:48 PM
Econ 1BB3 and Econ 1B03 in the same semester a good idea? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2009 01:04 PM
Econ 1B03 or 1BB3 mmal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-27-2008 12:09 PM

Econ 1B03 and ECON 1BB3

Old 06-19-2008 at 09:10 PM   #1
lampk

Liked: 0 Times

Econ 1B03 and ECON 1BB3
Hey everyone, I'm heading to Mac this year as a student in the Life Sci I program.
Basically my schedule only leaves me with two slots for electives, and I've decided to take both ECON's 1B03 and 1BB3.

Can anyone who has taken both of these courses previously please share your experiences? Like, I've read about what the course is like in some of the other threads on this site, but can you explain how the course is like and whether or not it's as easy as most people claim it to be, because I'm trying to fulfill requirements for med school by taking one-full course equivalent in Social sciences (I never knew economics was considered a social science), so I'm trying to find courses with a light workload (Oh ya, is the workload in this course light?) because I'm already stacked with 8 maths/sciences.

Also, my entire first semester is booked, so I can only take these two courses in the second semester. Do any of you see any trouble in taking both at the same time? Do you need knowledge from one course to do the other?

Another thing, what kind of mark could any student expect to get in this class?

Lastly, what other electives could I take beside these two courses? I need to fulfill the one full-course equivalent prerequisite for Humanities/Social Sciences for med school. Are there any two courses out there that have a lighter workload? Or which ones would you just recommend? Please remember, these have to be humanities or social sciences.

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Last edited by lampk : 06-19-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2008 at 09:22 PM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

In alot of schools Economics is part of business, but at Mac it's in the Social Science department. However, they're linked together, so yeah.

I wouldn't suggest taking both of 1B03 and 1BB3 at the same time. There is some overlap in the beginning, but chances are you will become confused, especially when it comes to graphs and such. Taking them in the same year is a good idea, but not in the same semester.

The work load isn't bad for either course, but I wouldn't take them as bird courses, personally. APLIA can be a real pain in the ass, even though it's only once a week, it becomes very tedious, to the point where you forget that you have APLIA due at 11pm and it's at 10:30pm that you're remembering all this.

Geog 1HA3 and 1HB3 aren't bad courses to take, but once again, workload varies. Both classes are interesting, but judging on my friends' workloads from science this year, the classes might become a pain because there's almost always something due each week, on top of your labs and such from Bio, Chem, Stats, etc. And if you're not too great at writing, I wouldn't take it. All of the assignments require decent writing skills.
Old 06-19-2008 at 10:38 PM   #3
lampk

If I were to pick one of the ECON's, I'm guessing you're going to suggest taking 1B03?

What other "birdcourses" are there for first year? What about courses like theatre analysis? Any courses that will improve my writing skills but has a very light workload?
Old 06-21-2008 at 10:00 AM   #4
samantha__
Elite Member

Actually, if you're planning to take the Econ class during 2nd term, I would suggest 1BB3. More people you know will be taking that one and I found that one to be easier.

Check out the bird courses thread to look up info on those. I consider the two Geo courses to be birdy - theyre interesting and you just need to memorize stuff.
Old 06-21-2008 at 10:03 AM   #5
FlyWithMac

Geo 1HB3 is birdy?
Old 06-21-2008 at 10:14 AM   #6
samantha__
Elite Member

Yeppers, as is Geog 1HA3. The tests are made up of multiple choice, fill-in-the-blanks (without a word bank) and a few short answer questions. I heard Peace is easy, but if you have Mercier like I did (for both classes o_o), sometimes he asks tricky stuff, or things you didnt study cause you thought it'd be irrelevant.
Old 06-21-2008 at 12:02 PM   #7
lampk

Samantha, if i were to take 1bb3 in the 2nd term, would i be at a disadvantage? Isn't there material from 1b03 that i need for 1bb3 or are they two totally different classes?

If there is overlapping between the two classes, how much would you say?

As for the two Geo birdy courses, are there any assignments, essays, or articles that I have to write during the year? Also, knowing that the tests are multiple choices and fill in the blanks, are the questions totally random, or are they all based on the lectures and textbook? And, is there a lot of application involved?

And again, if i didn't want to take either ECON's but instead took both 1ha3 and 1hb3 in the second term, would you recommend it? Do I need material from one course to do the other? If there is overlapping, just how much?

Lastly, are economics and geography considered social sciences? humanities? commerce?

Last edited by lampk : 06-21-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2008 at 12:52 PM   #8
samantha__
Elite Member

You don't need to take 1B03 in order to take 1BB3. The first few chapters overlap between the two classes, but after those first few chapters, they're completely different courses. They're totally different classes - 1B03 deals more with the economy impact of individual businesses (hence why it's called Micro) and 1BB3 deals with the WHOLE economy, like unemployment and stuff (hence why it's called Macro, as in like big).

It's only about the first four chapters that are the same in both classes, but even the concepts you learn in those chapters aren't very important. From my experience, profs dont even really test you from those few chapters becuase theyre more of a an introduction to economics in general.

In both geos, from last year, assignments made up 50% of your mark, the exam was 30% and the midterm test was 20%. The assignments were all written work, but they were usually only a few pages long, double spaces. The questions from the tests come RIGHT out of the lecture notes, unless the prof says that the info is in the textbook. In geo, there was little to no application.

I found the two geos were very similiar, but they're changing them a bit this year, so it might be different now, to be honest. I would email the prof's (Michael Mercier and Walter Peace) and ask them how different the courses are for 08/09 compared to 07/08.

Economics and geography are both social science.

Alvand says thanks to samantha__ for this post.
Old 06-21-2008 at 02:39 PM   #9
lampk

wow thank you so much, you completely answered everything!

in your opinion though, which one has the easier and lighter workload? i'm interested in both geo and economics, but don't know which one to take. i guess i'd lean to the one with the lighter work load

Murad1 says thanks to lampk for this post.
Old 06-21-2008 at 03:24 PM   #10
samantha__
Elite Member

The good thing about Econ is that other than the two tests and the final exam, the only "assignment" that you have are APLIA quizzes once a week at a certain time (I think mine were Wednesdays at 11pm). The quizzes are multiple choice and everyone has the same quiz, so you'll end up working on them together in the library/phone/msn, etc. APLIA quizzes were worth 15% or so all together and we around 10 of them to do. They're actually really easy, but I don't suggest waiting until 30 mins before it's due to work on them, because eventually they become more mathy.

Geo assignments were also every week, but they were more heavily weighted each and required time to actually think about them & write up. My boyfriend and TONS of my friends are in science, and judging on how their workload was (Two bios, two chems, stats, calc etc.), I think you'd be better off taking Econ. Geo is easier, but the way that it's weighted might not work to your advantage if you have labs and such every week/every other week.

BlakeM says thanks to samantha__ for this post.
Old 06-21-2008 at 04:24 PM   #11
lampk

thanks a lot for all of your input samantha, very much appreciated!
Old 06-21-2008 at 04:33 PM   #12
samantha__
Elite Member

No problem! And remember, if you need an easy course later in 2nd, 3rd or 4th year, you could always take the Geo courses or the other Econ
Old 06-21-2008 at 04:42 PM   #13
lampk

that's very true. In fact that's what i've planned already =P

I see that i have room for at least 2 electives in my second year, so I'll probably take 1bb3 and the other geo during that time.

I just dont know which geo to take right now, they both fall into my timetable quite late, so time isn't a factor right now. lol any suggestions? i'll want to take the one thats more fun probably, b/c ill be bogged down by all the labs and math from first year -.-
Old 06-21-2008 at 05:13 PM   #14
samantha__
Elite Member

I liked Geo 1HS3/Geog 1HA3. Though to be honest, I mixed the classes up so much, in terms of the concepts. They seemed so identical haha. But yeah, I got a 9 in this class; also, it would be good if you could find friends to take it with you. There's one or two group projects in both Geos and when you pair up with people you dont know/are idiots, it doesnt help your mark.
Old 07-01-2008 at 03:21 PM   #15
Ruggedman

I am planning on taking both Economics in first year as well.

However my major is Political Science and i dont think ill be majoring in Economics, so do i need to take any maths in first year to take economics, and where can i find this information?