MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is going on with the new proposed email system for Mac? is it going to happen? vazm4 Academics 9 07-20-2011 02:06 PM
How to setup my McMaster email to my apple email on my Macbook? ibro95 Computers & Tech 3 07-19-2011 02:30 PM
So much for the new email system. MaryS General Discussion 17 03-04-2011 11:21 PM
New Email System Update MD-L Academics 20 10-14-2010 09:49 PM
Mac places sixth in university rankings Email Story Email story PrintPrint Text Size Iamanonymous General Discussion 1 11-06-2009 09:42 AM

Email system?

Old 07-28-2011 at 12:05 PM   #1
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Email system?
Hi,

How do I send an email to a professor at McMaster University using the email system? Someone told me that the professors don't check any emails besides the ones from @mcmaster.ca apparently.
Old 07-28-2011 at 12:10 PM   #2
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

You could send e-mail from any e-mail client (i.e. G-mail, Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, etc.) to an @mcmaster.ca address.

Most professors give you their address the first day of class. You could also find it if you Google the professor's McMaster profile, if they have one (most of them do).
Old 07-28-2011 at 12:11 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Hi,

How do I send an email to a professor at McMaster University using the email system? Someone told me that the professors don't check any emails besides the ones from @mcmaster.ca apparently.
Have you already enabled your MacID services (which is different from activation)? It's somewhere in MUGSI if you haven't.

After, go here: https://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/ (There's also a link to it on the MUGSI portal page).

Login like your normal MUGSI, then type away!

anonanon987 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-28-2011 at 12:11 PM   #4
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

muss.cis.mcmaster.ca

assuming you have enabled your mac id services.

is that what you were asking about?

grr jhan got to it before me

anonanon987 says thanks to GCSM for this post.
Old 07-28-2011 at 12:18 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
You could send e-mail from any e-mail client (i.e. G-mail, Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, etc.) to an @mcmaster.ca address.

Most professors give you their address the first day of class. You could also find it if you Google the professor's McMaster profile, if they have one (most of them do).
I meant how do I send an email from my McMaster address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Have you already enabled your MacID services (which is different from activation)? It's somewhere in MUGSI if you haven't.

After, go here: https://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/ (There's also a link to it on the MUGSI portal page).

Login like your normal MUGSI, then type away!
I thought I already activated it..just did it again and sent an email, thanks. The email system is so ugly though, oh my god. D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSM View Post
muss.cis.mcmaster.ca

assuming you have enabled your mac id services.

is that what you were asking about?

grr jhan got to it before me
Thanks anyway GCSM
Old 07-28-2011 at 12:30 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I thought I already activated it..just did it again and sent an email, thanks. The email system is so ugly though, oh my god. D:
Hopefully the new e-mail system will be implemented in September. Just have to wait and see now :\ Also when that does happen, everyone will be able to double their dropbox capacity because we should be switching to a .edu account.
Old 07-28-2011 at 01:00 PM   #7
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Hopefully the new e-mail system will be implemented in September. Just have to wait and see now :\ Also when that does happen, everyone will be able to double their dropbox capacity because we should be switching to a .edu account.
Things are looking promising for the move.

Again all I can really say!
Old 07-28-2011 at 01:07 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Knowing mac, it wont arrive before 2012 school year, at least.

Also to email from @mcmaster email, go to muss.cis.mcmaster.ca and login. Most profs filter emails so they only read the ones from a @mcmaster or @muss.cis.mcmaster.ca account
Old 07-28-2011 at 01:15 PM   #9
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:

I dont think it will be a .edu domain name. The google apps page for mcmaster.ca is online, they just haven't imported users yet
Old 07-28-2011 at 01:34 PM   #10
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Wait...how do you differentiate between sending muss.cis.mcmaster and @mcmaster...? :S
Old 07-28-2011 at 01:35 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Knowing mac, it wont arrive before 2012 school year, at least.

Also to email from @mcmaster email, go to muss.cis.mcmaster.ca and login. Most profs filter emails so they only read the ones from a @mcmaster or @muss.cis.mcmaster.ca account
How can I email someone from my @mcmaster.ca email? As of now I can only email someone from my @muss.cis.mcmaster.ca email.
Old 07-28-2011 at 01:41 PM   #12
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

@mcmaster.ca = @muss.cis.mcmaster.ca

Try it out. Send an e-mail from hotmail or whatever, using your [email protected] er.ca account, except you remove the "muss.cis" part.
Old 07-28-2011 at 01:53 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSM View Post
I dont think it will be a .edu domain name. The google apps page for mcmaster.ca is online, they just haven't imported users yet
Hmmm, I thought they did use .edu... guess not :\

Edit: Interesting... I used my McMaster e-mail and I still got double the dropbox capacity... https://www.dropbox.com/edu

Xenos likes this.
Old 07-28-2011 at 02:00 PM   #14
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
@mcmaster.ca = @muss.cis.mcmaster.ca

Try it out. Send an e-mail from hotmail or whatever, using your [email protected] er.ca account, except you remove the "muss.cis" part.
I can change the email to whatever I want, for example I changed my [email protected] aster.ca email to [email protected] a and sent an email to my Hotmail account but my Hotmail account failed to send an email (reply) back because [email protected] a doesn't exist. I haven't tried it but in theory it should to the full email address though...
Old 07-28-2011 at 02:46 PM   #15
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
I can change the email to whatever I want, for example I changed my [email protected] aster.ca email to [email protected] a and sent an email to my Hotmail account but my Hotmail account failed to send an email (reply) back because [email protected] a doesn't exist. I haven't tried it but in theory it should to the full email address though...
you forgot the 2