MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Careers in Health Care e-norman Volunteering Opportunities 4 09-15-2010 06:33 PM
Previous Health Care Experience? AnnaWM Volunteering Opportunities 3 06-12-2010 05:15 PM
Career in Health Care - advice? Allan Volunteering Opportunities 13 12-26-2009 07:49 PM
Obama's Health Care speech fullsmash26 General Discussion 4 07-24-2009 08:29 PM

The end of our national health care system?

Old 02-13-2012 at 10:30 PM   #16
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

the most gluttonous country in the world, with the biggest portion sizes and fattiest food, expecting the average person to take "take care of themselves" is a recipe for disaster.

seriously just take a look at this list, I threw up a little.

http://eatthis.menshealth.co m/blog...t-food-meals-0
Old 02-13-2012 at 10:46 PM   #17
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I would disagree with charging for ER visits. Many of the people who go to an ER may not have a family doctor and few GPs are open after hours. People may put off things that are life threatening (even though they don't perceive them as life-threatening) because of the extra charge. Prevention and dealing with things early is more cost efficient than dealing with complications associated with delays. Also, people who are marginalized may not be able to afford to go to the ER.

Quote:
My friend broke his arm in half and had to wait 6-7 hours in the ER for a doctor to snap it back in place. Fail system

Google triage. A broken arm isn't life threatening, people who have more serious concerns are treated first.

Two-tiered systems lead to cream-skimming where private clinics take simple cases and dump complications onto the public system. This is while they take physicians away from the public system.

Afzal, RyanC, Snowman like this.
Old 02-14-2012 at 04:42 AM   #18
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

Kay, I just have one thing. At one point, my tonsils reached a point where I had to have a tube implanted to help me breathe, (yes i was slightly suffocated) and OH BOY did that operation take forever to get. It took hours and i was barely able to speak. EVEN at the end, the doc didn't do a good job stitching me back up and i went in again for a second procedure. That SUCKED BALLS.

....but i'd rather docs **** me over for free, then my parents sell their house and savings for me to breathe again....sorry but privatize medical care and we'll all be penny scratching for medical insurance like Americans........and trust me. Unless you have a 6 figure salary, you DO NOT WANT THAT.

RyanC, tyrant like this.
Old 02-14-2012 at 10:23 AM   #19
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

If you're interested in learning more about the new health transfer policy and how it's going to effect Canada's healthcare system, Dr. Michel Grignon is doing a talk about it on Feb 15th (tomorrow) at 6:00 PM in Degroote School of Business rm A102.

adaptation likes this.
Old 02-14-2012 at 01:49 PM   #20
person33

Liked: 53 Times

they should fund more things like telehealth and urgent care centers like the new one they opened near mac that treat minor emergencies ie. stitches, broken bones, allergic reactions etc.- otherwise things like colds, low fevers can wait until the day time and you can go to a gp or walk in clinic if you dont have one. they do need more family doctors though, and they should have more hours- my gp takes monday,fridays off and only works in the afternoons some other days- its ridiculous. also preventative care needs to be funded more instead of reactive medicine- put nurses, rns in community centers so people (even if they are poor) can go access their knowledge about how to take care of themselves with what they have.
Old 02-14-2012 at 03:36 PM   #21
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

It's rather obvious no one wants a system like the U.S. has and i would bet my left nut no politician is stupid enough to implement such a plan because liberal and conservative voters alike all have quarrels with it.

With that said, i believe the current plan to change healthcare is to have it more provincially run than federally run, correct? I wouldn't exactly say that's a terrible idea. (i'm sure Quebec loves it :p) Sure, a lot can go wrong, but a lot can go right too. Our system isn't perfect, neither is the States', but perhaps if we all look critically at the systems we can make some type of improvement for the better in the coming years.

On the other hand, it was our provincial government in the 90s that ****ed up our education curriculum in Ontario (oh my did my high school teachers love retelling the story about how Mike Harris screwed up our education system... LOL). Y'know, making that lovely education gap between grade 12 and first year of university all of which dumbing down god damn everything, so who knows what the frack will happen if they have the power to change healthcare -_-

Then again, this is genuine change, since when do we have CHANGE in Canada? LOL. Not only that, but its an obviously sensitive issue and this will sure as hell change our politically apathetic nation which is always a plus.

edit: yeah... nevermind, i'll stick with my high school teacher's opinion on the provincial government http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ontario-adv...133927056.html

Last edited by adaptation : 02-14-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2012 at 07:49 PM   #22
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post

With that said, i believe the current plan to change healthcare is to have it more provincially run than federally run, correct?
Er, no. The Province already distributes and decides what services are covered and how much physicians are paid for their services. The federal government is the one that transfers money to the provinces so that health care can run.

Quote:
they do need more family doctors though, and they should have more hours- my gp takes monday,fridays off and only works in the afternoons some other days- its ridiculous.

Physicians aren't employed by the government, instead they are paid by a public single-payer system... so they really have no obligation to work more hours in their private office. It's important that physicians aren't overworked by excessive hours. And simply because one doesn't work in their office all days, it doesn't mean that they're not out teaching or working at another location (e.g. a CHC).

Last edited by Lois : 02-14-2012 at 07:56 PM.