MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer from humanities to engineering aditya Academics 29 04-25-2011 01:53 AM
Engineering Transfer incognito Academics 2 11-02-2010 02:35 AM
Engineering cutoff / btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-06-2010 04:15 PM
Transfer into Engineering Aisha777 Academics 17 04-01-2010 08:53 AM
Btech vs. Engineering terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 03-11-2010 04:56 AM

Engineering to Btech transfer

Old 04-25-2011 at 04:38 AM   #1
talimr

Liked: 0 Times

Engineering to Btech transfer
Hi everyone, I'm currently a student at McMaster University. I'm in my second year of Software Engineering, and to be honest I am really hating it. I am certain that this is not what i want to be doing for the rest of my life, and my marks are definitely reflecting this fact. I im going downhill as far as my GPA is concerned, and I am failing way too many courses. By the end of this term, I will have an average of exactly 60%, which will still make me eligible to continue with the program. However, I have realized that I have had enough of this. I want to switch over to another program. Currently, my two options are:

1. Switch into Biotechnology at McMaster. I will be back in my first year, and my GPA will cumulate. It is a 4.5 year program with co-op.

2. Switch into Business Management or Business Technology Management at Ryerson University. I will have a brand new GPA. This is also a 4 year program.

I am more confident towards the Business program at Ryerson. Biotechnology will be tougher, and I will also have to take the risk of my GPA cumulating. If it falls any lower, I will be kicked out of McMaster. Plus I live in Toronto, so I'll get to stay at home if I go to Ryerson. I am still confused, Ryerson has still not accepted me into the program yet, because my high school transcript still has to get to them, I guess I won't find out till June or July. Most likely I will be eligible for both programs, since I'm not being kicked out of McMaster yet. Please shed some light on my situation. What should I do??

If anyone here is a Btech student, please share some of your experience, that would be awesome!
Old 04-25-2011 at 09:31 AM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Out of curiosity, if biology is what interests you, why did you go into software to start? I've seen a couple of people that decide "MY program's not for me... I Want to transfer into this biology-related program", when you were just in something like software or civil which relates to biology about as much as concrete relates to skin cells. I'm not criticizing or anything Just wondering if it's something that interested you in high school, and you're only really appreciating it now, or there's something else... Because bio is something people seem to LOVE or HATE.
Old 04-25-2011 at 02:38 PM   #3
talimr

Hey thanks for answering, well to be honest I have no clue about Biology at all. It is just something that I'll have to put my mind to, since I have accepted my mistake. I guess I'm just looking for a fresh start, too bad my GPA still cumulates lol.
Old 04-25-2011 at 04:05 PM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

If I may suggest, because Biotechnology isn't something you just decide you're going to like... You have to like the stuff behind it, and if you don't know what your thoughts are on biology, then you might be better off looking into the program a lot more, and perhaps taking a year to review that kind of thing... Year off? Year in a similar college program which is less expensive? The latter option might even allow you to bring your GPA up in reapplying, because some of those courses may apply over.

Anyways, Your very betst bet is to ask an academic advisor about these ideas I'm throwing your way.
Old 04-25-2011 at 04:33 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You dont like programming at all? Try a different engineering stream then, maybe Chemistry :p
Old 04-25-2011 at 05:24 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by talimr View Post
I'm in my second year of Software Engineering, and to be honest I am really hating it.
Don't let Janicki bring you down.
Old 04-25-2011 at 05:49 PM   #7
talimr

Haha it's not just Janicki, I am gradually losing interest in the program. Maybe it's too theoretical for my liking, I have heard that Btech is much more practical in terms of the learning experience?
Old 04-25-2011 at 05:52 PM   #8
talimr

By the way, are there any Btech students here, who could possibly share their experience?
Old 04-25-2011 at 06:32 PM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Haha it's not just Janicki, I am gradually losing interest in the program. Maybe it's too theoretical for my liking, I have heard that Btech is much more practical in terms of the learning experience?
Well, if it means anything - third year is a lot less theory and a lot more practical stuff.
Old 04-25-2011 at 08:29 PM   #10
toosh

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
You dont like programming at all? Try a different engineering stream then, maybe Chemistry :p
maybe business will do cos chemistry aint no micky mouse program :p
Old 04-25-2011 at 08:39 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosh View Post
maybe business will do cos chemistry aint no micky mouse program :p
LOL. Actually, I had your dislike for programming in mind when I suggested Chem Eng :p
Old 04-26-2011 at 02:21 PM   #12

Liked: 31 Times

I am doing a btech degree, but I am not 100% sure what you are looking for in terms of sharing the experience. Also, I am doing the degree completion so since we already have 3 years of college we don't really do a whole lot of lab work (it would just be repetitive). I can't comment on the 4 year programs other than to say that there is a biotechnology stream.

For what it's worth, I have been really enjoying my program (Energy) and what I have learned has been really useful and very relevant. Also, the co-op is a big draw and most students I know that have been going after co-ops are getting them at good companies (Hydro One, OPG, etc.)

If your marks are due to your lack of drive, then obviously you will likely do better in any program if it is something you realize you like. However, if it is due to the material, I wouldn't expect a big jump in marks just from switching to BTech unless you pull up the socks. I'm sure the 4 year program has some introduction to it and ramps up slower, and you will have seen a lot of it since you finished first year engineering. Hopefully if that is the route you go, they give some transfer credits so you don't have to start all over.
Old 04-26-2011 at 05:20 PM   #13
talimr

Thanks for the information! Hopefully I'll enjoy the program as well. The only drawback here is that my GPA will cumulate, and everything that I have done wrong with Engineering will stay with me on my transcript. When you try to apply for co-op placements, does your GPA matter as much? Because even if I manage to do extremely well in my first year of Btech, my CGPA will probably not show that.
Old 04-26-2011 at 07:27 PM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information! Hopefully I'll enjoy the program as well. The only drawback here is that my GPA will cumulate, and everything that I have done wrong with Engineering will stay with me on my transcript. When you try to apply for co-op placements, does your GPA matter as much? Because even if I manage to do extremely well in my first year of Btech, my CGPA will probably not show that.

Usually GPA matters, esp for cycle 1 jobs.

After that some companies dont care as much.
Old 04-27-2011 at 07:29 AM   #15

Liked: 31 Times

I don't think it will hurt you too much to have a lower cumulative gpa due to an earlier program. As long as you get good marks in what you go into, and can show that you have improved and that you are good at that program, most employers will understand.
For instance, if I was to hire someone for a co-op position where they were basically a lab-tech, and before they did their current eng/science stream (for example) they did something unrelated, it probably wouldn't bother me so long as there was a valid explanation. There's a reason why most grad programs and employers only look at your last two years, except when there are critical courses further back that need to be considered. People change, and employers understand that. So long as you can get the interview I don't think your cgpa will hold you back unless you let it.