MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Engineering Program! dlfduddjaak First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-11-2013 03:34 PM
Question about engineering. J.Clouseau First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 02-16-2013 11:11 AM
question about electrical engineering myalani First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 04-03-2011 06:33 PM
Question engineering mfattal General Discussion 14 01-31-2011 09:25 PM
Engineering Cut Off Question RoyK Academics 4 04-29-2009 04:27 PM

Engineering co-op question

Old 07-17-2014 at 11:34 AM   #1
soody

Liked: 3 Times

Engineering co-op question
Hey, quick question.

If your enrolled in Eng & Co-op but do not get a chance to actually get a co-op job do you have to withdraw from the co-op program? The reason I am not addressing this directly to ECCS is because they are causing me a problem.

I got a job outside of Oscarplus, its more of an experience in a student position but the company doesn't care about the provincial tax-credit return of $3000 dollars monthly. So basically I am working here for the experience and not for the "Co-op" showing up on my transcript.
Old 07-17-2014 at 12:13 PM   #2
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

No you dont have to withdraw. Although you may want because i think we pay extra for them in our tuition. At the moment it will appear to them that you are not doing any co-op.

Who knows... you may get a co-op the next year with the experience you gain now.
Old 07-17-2014 at 12:18 PM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Question: Does the "co-op" appear only on the transcript and not the degree itself?
Old 07-17-2014 at 04:37 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
Question: Does the "co-op" appear only on the transcript and not the degree itself?
I believe this is correct, it will not appear on the degree.

For the OP, it is up to you want you want to do. Even though I got my first co-op going into my final year and it will not affect anything, I am only doing it because I am a tax break. I got my job through OscarPlus but if I found it myself and the employer didn't care, I probably would have dropped the co-op since it won't appear anyways.

Basically by staying in it you see extra job posts, but if you don't use it anyways and you find your own jobs and get experience, I would personally drop it.
Old 07-17-2014 at 05:31 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

you pay the money to access oscar plus and the other coop "advantages" If you graduate without any coop experience the coop isnt beside your degree
Old 07-18-2014 at 07:12 AM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
you pay the money to access oscar plus and the other coop "advantages" If you graduate without any coop experience the coop isnt beside your degree
Even if you graduate with coop experience, fulfilling the co-op requirements, it's not on your actual degree.
Old 07-19-2014 at 12:26 PM   #7
EngCareerSvcs

Liked: 1 Time

Hi ladies and gentlemen - hope that all is well.

Please send an email to your ECCS Career Counsellor - once we have all of the details regarding your situation, we can then best advise you on how to proceed; i.e., students do not need to withdraw from co-op, nor does every summer job have to count as a co-op work term (only those positions that are related to the student's degree program and meet the government's criteria for a co-op work term).

Bachelor of Technology students: David Coughlin is your career counsellor, and may be reached at [email protected].

Bachelor of Engineering; Computer Science students: Jessica Farrell is your career counsellor, and may be reached at [email protected].

Thank you Jessica
Old 07-19-2014 at 02:42 PM   #8
jon.john23
Elite Member

Why is that our school will not have coop on the degree like others?

We fulfil the requirements and pay the dues.
Old 07-19-2014 at 03:49 PM   #9
EngCareerSvcs

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
Why is that our school will not have coop on the degree like others?

We fulfil the requirements and pay the dues.

Hi again Jon - that is a good question, and our apologies for the policies not being very clear regarding this. Research universities (including McMaster) do not grant co-op degrees - every student receives the same Bachelor of Engineering degree.

The transcript is the record that is used to document any work related to co-op (e.g., completion of ENG 1EE0, University- and government-recognized co-op work terms).

Let me know if you have any other questions in this regard - I can be reached at [email protected]. Thanks again - Jessica Farrell, Career Counsellor