MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year engineering electives :S fresh prince First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-05-2010 03:23 PM
Engineering Mgmt. Electives GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 05-20-2010 12:46 PM
Electives for 1st Year Engineering... shahbah General Discussion 6 06-29-2009 11:05 PM
1st year engineering electives Strongwiller Academics 1 11-27-2008 07:00 PM
First Year Electives for Engineering street2soul Academics 0 07-16-2008 06:57 PM

Engineering Electives

Old 04-18-2010 at 10:34 PM   #16
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

Take linguistics 1A03 or 1AA3. As long as you do the homework and know your stuff, you can easily get a double digit mark. I also recommend Music 1A03 or 1AA3.
Old 04-18-2010 at 11:34 PM   #17
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey18 View Post
Yeah, there were 5. The first two are easy, the last 3 are time-consuming and not that easy.
what were the reports based on?
Old 04-19-2010 at 12:12 AM   #18
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

music 2II3, i didn't take the course but my friend did. i did go to one lecture though and i found it really interesting, i never got bored or fell asleep even though it was a 3 hour night class.
if you know a bit about pop music already, it'll be a breeze. i believe evaluations consists of just midterms and a final, so no essays!
Old 04-19-2010 at 12:50 AM   #19
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

This is one of your few chances to take a course that won't throw a bunch numbers and letters at you and ask you to integrate them. Why not use it to take something you're genuinely interested in? Unless you really, really, really like Engineering, there's got to be at least one course in a non-Eng faculty you're interested in.

I'm already in Society going for a Business minor, so that's taking up all of my electives, but if I could do so for free and not stress about the additional workload, there are a bunch of Humanities (music) and Soc Sci (economics) courses I'd gladly take.

There are science and math courses I'm interested in too, but for some reason we're not allowed to take them as electives. =\
Old 04-19-2010 at 06:43 AM   #20
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post

There are science and math courses I'm interested in too, but for some reason we're not allowed to take them as electives. =\
You're not allowed to take them because they are too similar to engineering courses and society is meant for people to expand outside the engineering faculty so that you can become a more well rounded student. aka more than an engineer.

As for easy courses, if you've ever done french before then any of the first year courses should be a breeze. I took 1A06 and hardly studied and got an 11, mind you I've taken french since I was little.

Old 04-19-2010 at 06:57 AM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

German 1Z06 is pretty easy. If you want a 3 unit though, maybe look into the beginners Polish or Russian class.

Anyone taken either of those btw? I was wonder what they're like :p.
Old 04-19-2010 at 10:07 AM   #22
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
You're not allowed to take them because they are too similar to engineering courses and society is meant for people to expand outside the engineering faculty so that you can become a more well rounded student. aka more than an engineer.

As for easy courses, if you've ever done french before then any of the first year courses should be a breeze. I took 1A06 and hardly studied and got an 11, mind you I've taken french since I was little.
Alyssa, actually you can... people minor in science with society all the time. Paige is doing Biochem, I know that people have done Med Phys minors, Psych minors, etc.

I think some of those courses require permission from Society as well as the department you're taking them from though.
Old 04-19-2010 at 11:57 AM   #23
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Alyssa, actually you can... people minor in science with society all the time. Paige is doing Biochem, I know that people have done Med Phys minors, Psych minors, etc.

I think some of those courses require permission from Society as well as the department you're taking them from though.
Paige had to get it approved by Dr Bates. It's easy to get around but they're just not supposed to, like if you don't talk to Dr Bates or Anna then you can't do it but if you talk to him/her you can so it's easy to get around it.

I was just saying that the point of society is to expand outside of the sciences.

Old 04-19-2010 at 12:59 PM   #24
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
The electives list is the same for both Society and non-Society students. I was complaining more for both.

I don't really understand the argument courses being "too similar" to Engineering courses though. Astrology has pretty much nothing to do with Engineering. Enviro Sci can sort of be related if you're in Civil I suppose, but even that's a bit of a stretch.

Let's look at it from a non-Society standpoint then. If I'm a first year, or even an upper year student, why shouldn't I be able to take Astrology or Enviro Sci as an elective? Science students are allowed to take electives within their faculty, why can't we?

I'm using the same two examples because they're the ones that come to mind, but I'm certain there are more.
Old 04-19-2010 at 05:23 PM   #25
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
The electives list is the same for both Society and non-Society students. I was complaining more for both.
Well, like I said before, you CAN take whatever electives you want. Society encourages you to try to focus your electives a bit, so that you're not just taking random bird courses to boost your Eng grades, because the point of it is to try to broaden your engineering perspective. However, there are definitely ways to get around that.
Old 04-19-2010 at 05:30 PM   #26
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
...why shouldn't I be able to take Astrology...
Probably because astrology has no place at a university .
Old 04-19-2010 at 06:42 PM   #27
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Well, like I said before, you CAN take whatever electives you want. Society encourages you to try to focus your electives a bit, so that you're not just taking random bird courses to boost your Eng grades, because the point of it is to try to broaden your engineering perspective. However, there are definitely ways to get around that.
As, I didn't realize. I just looked through the Society page again though, and you're right. There's an example of someone minoring in Biochem.

This still doesn't really address the issue of limiting the available general electives for non-Society students though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Probably because astrology has no place at a university .
Well-played. I always get the two mixed up, and I most likely will continue to until I can come up with a good way to remember them.
Old 04-19-2010 at 06:45 PM   #28
chengtc

Liked: 0 Times

I would suggest critical thinking (HUMAN 2H03). When I took the course (3 years ago almost) it was really easy...2 1-hr lectures a week, and only MC quizzes/midterm..final's all MC as well. Other non-essay electives I have taken and would suggest are 1B03 microecon, 1BB3 macroecon, Macroecon 2H i think...