MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP pickup? kuruczpa Financial Aid 1 09-20-2010 05:59 PM
who steals a jacket.... snaps General Discussion 41 02-03-2010 03:36 AM
Engineering Leather Jacket Cost? Eximious General Discussion 28 10-23-2009 08:09 PM
Airport Pickup ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-03-2008 02:08 PM
OSAP Pickup hmmmcurious General Discussion 1 09-15-2007 07:28 PM

Engineering jacket pickup

Old 12-12-2009 at 12:14 PM   #31
dilks

Liked: 4 Times

hmm should I wait for an email or just go

Last edited by dilks : 12-12-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2009 at 12:18 PM   #32
Eximious

Liked: 11 Times

I heard from the Eng phys group I'm in that they are giving out the jackets on Monday in the JHE lobby. Since I don't see anything on the MES website I think it would be a good idea to wait till monday. Unless someone posts some information to the contrary. Also, the time that you should go on monday is noon.
Old 12-12-2009 at 03:28 PM   #33
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Oh yeah as far as "something to show for your hard work", it's called an iron ring.
Old 12-12-2009 at 03:46 PM   #34
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

do they have a jacket for other faculties or is just for the lame engineers and their cockiness?
Old 12-12-2009 at 03:48 PM   #35
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
do they have a jacket for other faculties or is just for the lame engineers and their cockiness?
Well that's helpful...
Old 12-12-2009 at 06:01 PM   #36
Rossclot

You cant completely blame engineers for being douches.

-They are drowned with work that doesn't involve the hardest theoretical knowledge(we can call it the second to hardest knowledge), but the workload and applications they have to do make the work really stressful.

-It is 5 years of schoolwork being forced down your throat in 4 years.

-They are always overloaded in terms of courses

-There are requirements for a certain amount of lab/tutorial hours for Eng degrees, so labs/tutorials are more plentiful then really needed .

-It is one of the few disciplines where really hard working people more often look forward to passing instead looking forward to getting a good mark.

-Despite how much we struggle, 95% of the students I have met insist on keeping up the image that they breeze through everything when really we all spend the majority of our time getting raped by coursework. So everyone is busy trying to look like they are super smarter then everyone else instead of dropping the front and actually uniting as students and succeeding.

-And on top of all of that, they have this image forced into every orifice that they are the sole saviors of the world. That every other faculty is just the idiot sheep that we (engineering students) have to safeguard. You can see that in the ever-present "ERTW"(Engineers rule the world). Technically a whole bunch of people are above engineers on the food chain, but no ERTW toting engineer has ever heard about that.

I think the problem is the ego and pride is placed inside the engineering students before they have earned the right to be proud of themselves. That is how you build a douche.

So it isnt completely their fault. I just wish more first years would realize they need to drop the front because I feel like I am the only first year engineering student who is a douchebag for personal reasons unrelated to engineering.
Old 12-12-2009 at 06:18 PM   #37
Infinity
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
You cant completely blame engineers for being douches.

-They are drowned with work that doesn't involve the hardest theoretical knowledge(we can call it the second to hardest knowledge), but the workload and applications they have to do make the work really stressful.

-It is 5 years of schoolwork being forced down your throat in 4 years.

-They are always overloaded in terms of courses

-There are requirements for a certain amount of lab/tutorial hours for Eng degrees, so labs/tutorials are more plentiful then really needed .

-It is one of the few disciplines where really hard working people more often look forward to passing instead looking forward to getting a good mark.

-Despite how much we struggle, 95% of the students I have met insist on keeping up the image that they breeze through everything when really we all spend the majority of our time getting raped by coursework. So everyone is busy trying to look like they are super smarter then everyone else instead of dropping the front and actually uniting as students and succeeding.

-And on top of all of that, they have this image forced into every orifice that they are the sole saviors of the world. That every other faculty is just the idiot sheep that we (engineering students) have to safeguard. You can see that in the ever-present "ERTW"(Engineers rule the world). Technically a whole bunch of people are above engineers on the food chain, but no ERTW toting engineer has ever heard about that.

I think the problem is the ego and pride is placed inside the engineering students before they have earned the right to be proud of themselves. That is how you build a douche.

So it isnt completely their fault. I just wish more first years would realize they need to drop the front because I feel like I am the only first year engineering student who is a douchebag for personal reasons unrelated to engineering.
that makes total sense. its those few individuals that think they are the greatest... i can't stand them.. they vandalize the halls of the school believing that they rule the world... we are all equals to see that just because your an engineer doesn't give you additional rights and go on blabbering how great you are, cuz in reality your not. I know engineering is one the hardest and most demanding faculties but that's no reason to be a douche.
Old 12-12-2009 at 06:47 PM   #38
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:

In my experience at least the engineering students who truly think like that (I'm not talking about people at things like welcome week and such where insults are passed freely between all faculties) aren't the ones who buy the jackets because they think that they are too good to be part of engineering too.

Last edited by RTinkess31 : 12-12-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2009 at 09:25 PM   #39
Rossclot

It is a shame that the reputation gets ruined because there are a lot of potentially great human beings there. The same thing happens whenever a group of people take pride in the group they are a part of, instead of being proud of their own personal accomplishments while a member of that group. But I guess that is getting more general because that applies to everything from culture and race, to social groups or where you live.
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:28 PM   #40
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

I got the engineer=douchebag impression from frosh week. Really, it was so annoying have to put up with their crap. Those god damn cow bells going on on and on and never ending. And definitely all the smack talk between all faculties doesn't help either. I understand that there are competitions and whatnot, but seriously, does everyone feel the need to have to slander others simply to make themselves feel 'superior' to the other faculty? I honestly don't give two shits how much of a workload you have, it doesn't make you any better than anyone else. Is it possible that people made the active decision to NOT go into engineering because they don't care for it?
I'd spend the $300 on a nice leather jacket, but taste is all relative too.

But then again, being in the multimedia program I get smack talk from every other faculty. I chose what I like to do, I spend several hours doing a 15 second animation, I produce videos, record music and design websites. I ENJOY what I'm doing, how does this make me any less superior than yourself simply because you do math and science? I don't get it. I do computer programming, html, flash, and java isn't always the easiest thing to do. Neither is networking an entire building. But hey, to each their own. :shrug:

When I first meet you and we talk about our programs, when I say I'm in humanities, don't give me that bullshit pity expression on your face. This, is how you become labelled as a douche.
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:36 PM   #41
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
I like to think that it should be PRTW - Politicians rule the world.

Engineers answer to laws, and who makes the laws? Politicians. Who do polictians have to answer to? More politicians.

Old 12-13-2009 at 12:11 AM   #42
Rossclot

Engineers are under the thumbs of:
-politicia
ns
-busi
ness students (money makes laws)
-busi
ness students (the engineer's bosses)
-all other
non-engineering faculties (the engineer's boss with a bit of nepotism)

There is a
n interesting campaign to try and stop the ERTW thing and transform it into ESTW (Engineers Serve The World). This obviously promotes the idea that engineers should be at the forefront of eco-development, helping humanity, and all that jazz.

the '
n' button on this keyboard doesnt work so I have to cut and paste every one, balls! 'n' is a pretty common letter!
Old 12-13-2009 at 01:22 AM   #43
Eximious

You are all being douches! Seriously guys, this thread has gotten out of hand. I don't care that you think that the jacket will make me look like a douche, it's your opinion. I just thought the jacket is cool.

If anything most of you should be ashamed of yourselves, this started out as a topic to inquire about when I can get my jacket. From what I've seen some of you just take this as some sort of place to piss on our engineering traditions and call us douches. It's fine if you wanna voice your opinion, but please be respectful of others.

micadjems likes this.
Old 12-13-2009 at 01:37 AM   #44
Infinity
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eximious View Post
You are all being douches! Seriously guys, this thread has gotten out of hand. I don't care that you think that the jacket will make me look like a douche, it's your opinion. I just thought the jacket is cool.

If anything most of you should be ashamed of yourselves, this started out as a topic to inquire about when I can get my jacket. From what I've seen some of you just take this as some sort of place to piss on our engineering traditions and call us douches. It's fine if you wanna voice your opinion, but please be respectful of others.

well maybe if your engineering people would show some respect to the school and to the students, you'd get our respect. The jacket does't mean much in my mind, i'd like to see some for other faculties. I'm just saying engineering attitudes are totally out of hand, i mean why go around vandalizing writing ertw when its not the least bit true, why show your worthless attitudes in the god damn classroom of all places by acting like an idoit (eg. when you have iclicker and there is no E but you hit it anyway cuz it E for engineers). This thread has gotten way off topic but we can all express are opinions so don't go calling us douches. If you want the jacket get it.. but I really hope you don't become one of those engineers that think they are everything.
Old 12-13-2009 at 02:05 AM   #45
Eximious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
stuff
1) Once again there are always few that ruin the reputation of many
2) If other faculties really want a jacket, talk to your reps
3) People don't just press "E" on the I-clicker quiz because it stands for engineering, I've never heard that before. I did it because I didn't know the answer at all and participation counts. Its also fun to see the response from the Prof.
4) I am not calling you douches for your opinions, I'm calling you douches because you are acting like douches.

RTinkess31 likes this.