MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a Minor aya017 Academics 0 03-08-2011 10:33 PM
Engineering + Business Minor ritsma First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2010 01:45 PM
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-11-2010 02:25 AM
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger Academics 2 06-08-2010 03:38 PM
Materials Engineering Minor? Bobert Academics 2 07-03-2009 12:07 AM

Engineering + Minor

Old 07-30-2015 at 06:07 PM   #1
jvelez

Liked: 0 Times

Engineering + Minor
Is it possible to get an engineering degree with a minor in French?
Old 08-01-2015 at 12:31 AM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

It is possible. There are combined engineering programs like engineering & management/society where you spread the 4 years over 5 and fill the gap with commerce courses.
You can do the same and spread your 4 years over 5 and fill the gap with French courses. Just make sure you talk to your advisor before you do so to get some helpful advise.

jvelez says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 08-01-2015 at 01:22 AM   #3
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Absolutely. In a 4 year program it will be quite difficult though. You will need to take summer school every year and plan for it starting when you first enroll in first year.

In a 5 year program it is much more manageable. You can enroll in Eng & Society or Eng & Management. Doing a minor in a 5 year program is kind of like doing a double minor. You'll have your major, then either a Society or a Management "minor", then the minor that you choose (French).

If you have any questions about Society send me a pm.

jvelez says thanks to adaptation for this post.
Old 08-01-2015 at 10:31 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Def recommend the society. More flexibility to do a specialized minor that isn't business oriented. If you want business oriented go management
Old 08-02-2015
ralts40(3)
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-02-2015 at 04:07 AM   #5
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Management all the way my friend. You can get that MBA in a year!
Were't you the guy who said he could get an engineering degree with management and coop work experience in 4 years?

How's your course planing going, crazy dude?
ralts40(3)
Old 08-02-2015 at 12:42 PM   #6
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

What happened? Got yourself banned?

2Dream likes this.
Old 08-02-2015 at 01:29 PM   #7
jvelez

I'm going into the chemical engineering co-op program, so it's already a five year program. Is it still possible because I looked online and it seems that I get no complementary studies for my third year and I need 24 credits total for the french minor

Plus, I only did core French, no immersion but got high 90s for 12U. Will I do well?
Old 08-02-2015 at 02:44 PM   #8
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelez View Post
I'm going into the chemical engineering co-op program, so it's already a five year program. Is it still possible because I looked online and it seems that I get no complementary studies for my third year and I need 24 credits total for the french minor

Plus, I only did core French, no immersion but got high 90s for 12U. Will I do well?
You can take courses on your co-op (1 max is realistically manageable), and you can do summer school, or online courses. You probably wont get enough electives to make it count, but i believe you can still take courses outside of your degree (you're paying after all), it just wont count towards your program.
Old 08-02-2015
ralts40(3)
Old 08-03-2015 at 06:36 PM   #9
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelez View Post
I think it's gonna be very hard to get that French minor if you only did core French cuz upper year courses focus a lot on speaking and listening. A lot of people who did 12U core french had trouble with those sections. Also I don't know if this is a French policy or just my prof's policy but missing 3+ lectures/tutorials for the entire year lowers your final mark by 5% which on the 12 scale is at least 1 whole grade point (unless you're in the super high 90's). So it's not a class you can just skip and the tutorials were so boring. So you should probably take French 1A06 to see if you like it before you decide you want that minor. In my opinion I feel like a language minor is useless because you're not fluent. I think it's much better to complete the fluency tests from France (DELF) than to get a French minor.

jvelez says thanks to Imperious for this post.

jvelez likes this.
Old 08-04-2015 at 07:16 PM   #10
jvelez

Thank you for all your input! As much as I love the language and was willing to take French throughout high school and having no spares at all, it would just be too much for me on top of getting my engineering major.

Is there any French club at McMaster so I won't end up losing my French?
Old 08-04-2015 at 08:03 PM   #11
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Lots of opportunities for French. French club: Of course.

You could simply read french books.

You can also make the French courses your electives --- it IS possible.

Bonne chance!